Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Satellite TV operator DirecTV Group Inc. was one of the few pay-TV companies to gain

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:11 AM

Satellite TV operator DirecTV Group Inc. was one of the few pay-TV companies to gain subscribers in the third quarter, though earnings stayed steady because of the higher costs it incurred attracting and serving those new customers.

http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=9007422
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

Yep, it looks like the trend that started at least going back to 3Q 2008 have been holding. Three providers have topped the list in net subscriber additions in those 4 quarters - DirecTV, AT&T, and Verizon. That trend has held - AT&T added some 240,000 subscribers, and Verizon 191,000. What's interesting about that last one has been due to Verizon's shift of focus. They've seriously scaled back their new market roll-outs, instead pushing to up their penetration rates in markets they already serve - indicating that their growth isn't just some fluke due to moving into a new market.

I also think DirecTV's strategy of going after higher end customers is a very smart one. They're the ones that will allow you to weather a recession better (fewer would be apt to cancel service during those times), and the revenue per customer is higher.

In probably the most stunning numbers I've seen so far in this round of quarterly numbers - Comcast lost a whopping 595,000 video customers in the 3rd quarter. I'll be very interested to see how Dish comes out of all this. I think they're positioned to pick up a good number of subscribers in this softer economy (in addition to the hardware angle, they've been pushing the low-cost angle as well with those 'why would I pay more for the same TV service?' ads I've been hearing on the radio).

#3 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

I would drop tv all together, so comcast would retain my internet at least.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...