Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WRT54G unable to see HR-22

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vinuneuro

vinuneuro

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

I can't get the DVR to show up on the network. It's wired to a Linksys WRT54G router, and even though the DVR says it's connected, it doesn't show up in the router's client list and the laptop is obviously not able to see it either. It's the same case with both the ports on the receiver, assigned a static ip in the dvr's menu. This router isn't connected to the internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

I'm moving this to the HD-DVR forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   nn8l

nn8l

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

The clients list is a DHCP list. If you've statically set the ip it won't show. You'd have to set the HR-22 as a dynamic ip to have it show up in the list. You should be able to ping the HR-22 from your computer if it is indeed on the network.

#4 OFFLINE   pjsauter

pjsauter

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

Has your DVR always had a static IP address? I ask, because, IIRC, the WRT54G admin page has a DHCP clients list, which would display all the devices it's assigned IP addresses to, but not any statically assigned devices. Assuming you have your laptop and the DVR set up on the same subnet with the same subnet mask, you should be able to ping the DVR from the laptop, though.

#5 OFFLINE   vinuneuro

vinuneuro

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

You guys are absolutely right. Despite not showing up in the router list, I'm able to ping the dvr. D2PC is miraculously now able to find it as well.

Thanks for your help!

#6 OFFLINE   ShermyL

ShermyL

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hi Guys,

First, I have just come back to DirecTV after about 4 years with Comcast. So far I am happy and impressed with what DirecTV has to offer, however, one of the reasons I switched was because DirecTV has On Demand. This is a problem for me because I am having what looks to be a similar problem with a similar set up. I had my service installed friday Nov. 6. The installer gave up on the internet connection problems because he had other installs and service calls he had to attend to - that kind of turned me off a bit, but is a topic for a different thread. When he left the only problem with my service was with the internet connection. I was getting an error code of 13. Both HD DVRs (model HR22/100) are connected via the Ethernet power strips using the electrical wiring in the house. I was able to change the IP address, Default Gateway etc. to my local network settings. This got rid of the error code 13, but now I have an error code of 22. I also tried connecting one of the HR22s directly to the router via a Cat6 cable. When I view the list of items in my network on the DHCP client list, I don't see the HR22s. I've read where in the past the HR22s had problems connecting to the internet. Do you think this is the problem, or is it associated with how my network is set up?

I'm not a techie when it comes to networking, so could someone let me know in detail how my router should be set up(you can PM me, but I feel it may be beneficial to others with the same problem)? It is a Linksys WRK54G. Also, how do you ping the HR22s from your laptop, or in my case desktop?

#7 OFFLINE   mikep554

mikep554

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:09 AM

Hi Guys,
I'm not a techie when it comes to networking, so could someone let me know in detail how my router should be set up(you can PM me, but I feel it may be beneficial to others with the same problem)? It is a Linksys WRK54G. Also, how do you ping the HR22s from your laptop, or in my case desktop?

You need to have the UPNP feature activated on your router. If it is turned off or your router doesn't support it, then you are looking at getting into some pretty techie stuff to get it working.

As for pinging your HR22, you would go a command prompt and type:

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is replaced with the address of the HR22. For instance, my HR21 has an address of 10.0.0.43, so I would type:

ping 10.0.0.43
View my setup here

#8 OFFLINE   ShermyL

ShermyL

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

You need to have the UPNP feature activated on your router. If it is turned off or your router doesn't support it, then you are looking at getting into some pretty techie stuff to get it working.

As for pinging your HR22, you would go a command prompt and type:

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is replaced with the address of the HR22. For instance, my HR21 has an address of 10.0.0.43, so I would type:

ping 10.0.0.43

Thanks!! I'll give that a try.

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

Shermyl,

As stated above, if you are using static IP addresses for your receivers, they will not show up in the DHCP client list on the router. Verify if you are using static IP addresses or DHCP for the routers.

Also, :welcome_s to DBSTalk.com!

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

I essentially use static addresses without assigning static addresses. Of course the method differs based on your make/model of router/switch, but I have uPnP turned on and I use mac address reservations for everything, so the client sees a DHCP configuration, but they always get the same address so it can technically be used for a server, especially on a small home network. Works flawlessly.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...