Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

new customer. have some ????'s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trainp01

trainp01

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:00 AM

I signed up for Directv several months ago. At that time they told me that they can give me 4 free receiver. I now want to add 1 more receiver for another room. Will there be an issue to do so? Is 4 the max I can get since 4 was only offered to me at the first place. If I can, can I buy a receiver from Craigslist? My 2nd question is I want to add some international channels. Will the international channel only work to one receiver or will it work on all of my receivers? Sorry if these have been asked before. TIA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:17 AM

You can have more than four receivers. Depending on the dish you have you will need a switch.

The international channel will be received in all receivers.
HR21, HR23, HR34 (HDMI, no OTA),
Slimline5 + SWM-16
iPhone and iPad with DIRECTV app :)

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:28 AM

Keep in mind though that it doubtful you're actually "buying" a receiver (Unless it's older). You're probably going to be leasing it, even paying the upfront fee. Also, be careful, because leased receivers cannot just be moved from account to account, so if you "buy" a leased receiver, Directv's not going to activate it for you.

#4 OFFLINE   rayshooks

rayshooks

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:32 AM

also, if you purchase a truly used receiver, you will need to purchase an access card for $20 from DIRECTV. absolutely correct you would need a multiswitch (3x8). you can prob get one online or radio shack for like 60 bucks. if you go the lease route, the prcing for hardware and installation would be 69.99 w/ a 2 yr agreement. plus it would be under warranty at all times, versus a purchased receiver w/ no warranty.

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:59 AM

I signed up for Directv several months ago. At that time they told me that they can give me 4 free receiver. I now want to add 1 more receiver for another room. Will there be an issue to do so? Is 4 the max I can get since 4 was only offered to me at the first place. If I can, can I buy a receiver from Craigslist? My 2nd question is I want to add some international channels. Will the international channel only work to one receiver or will it work on all of my receivers? Sorry if these have been asked before. TIA

Before you make a foolish investment on Craiglist or eBay call D* and see what it will cost. Your free installation and free receivers ended when you became a customer. For internationals you need a new dish installed, for a 5th receiver you need a larger multiswitch and may need cabling. If nothing else it will give you a cost basis for comparison.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:17 AM

Before you make a foolish investment on Craiglist or eBay call D* and see what it will cost. Your free installation and free receivers ended when you became a customer. For internationals you need a new dish installed, for a 5th receiver you need a larger multiswitch and may need cabling. If nothing else it will give you a cost basis for comparison.

Agreed. Given that an additional (or larger) switch will be involved as well as installation work, it will likely be cheaper to pay DirecTV for the additional receiver than to buy everything yourself and still have to do all the work.

At least *start* by calling DirecTV and asking them.

spam firewall