Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Audio dropouts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1364 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

Lots of dropouts during the Venture Bros. last night. To the point that the return from break had nearly a minute of full silence. Funny though, it was only during the actual show. No dropouts during the commercial break.

Big +1

Waited all that time for a new season, and it was almost unwatchable. I thought it was an issue with that receiver, so i huffed and puffed my way to the bedroom (where I have it recorded on the other HR unit) and saw that it had identical dropouts. LAME!:mad:
I was happy to learn that a.s. will start doing re-runs of the new episodes. So maybe I can see (and hear) what I missed for that whole minute.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:54 PM

Drop-outs here too. Annoying.

#23 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

No dropouts during the commercial break.

Of course not.
</conspiracy theorist>

:lol:

#24 OFFLINE   berniec

berniec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:20 PM

TONS of dropouts, every few minutes, during Monday Night Football on ESPN.

#25 OFFLINE   weaver6

weaver6

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:11 AM

Same here.
AU9 5 LNB Dish
HR21-100 with AM-21 to Sharp LC-60E79U using HDMI, optical to Harmon/Kardon AVR-247, 2 TB external hard drive
HR21-700 to 31" Mitsubishi CRT, 2 TB external hard drive
Westell 7500 Router, Hardwired to HR21-100, 7500 hardwired to Netgear switch to HR20-100

#26 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:22 AM

Me too!

#27 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:37 AM

Me too!

Me three...at least on the recording, I couldn't watch it live.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#28 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

When you guys say "dropout" are you referring to the screen getting black and audio stopping completely for 3-5 seconds?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#29 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

^ I just have the audio drop for 2-3 seconds. My screen doesn't go black. If it appears that I'm missing something important, I rewind a little, turn closed captioning on and read what I've missed.

#30 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

I've seen issues like this, and maybe it's just my TV that goes black so both audio and video are out for a few seconds. I'm pretty sure this is from the source, probably during the encoding phase. It's probably just happening on the MPEG4 channels (mostly HD, bu some SD). Either way, this is not a software issue on the STB. Doesn't mean it's not a problem and not happening, though.

I see it happen rather infrequently, especially over the last 2-3 weeks .. even before that, it was not often. Could be that equipment is being changed out and tweaked and we are seeing these momentary hiccups. Hopefully it will continue to improve as we move forward.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#31 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

I'm pretty sure this is from the source, probably during the encoding phase. It's probably just happening on the MPEG4 channels (mostly HD, bu some SD). Either way, this is not a software issue on the STB.

I don't agree. The drop outs are not consistent from box to box. Just the other day, I had the same program recorded on two different HD DVR's. A drop out that occurred on one box, did not occur on the other.

#32 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

Lots of audio dropout on (my recording of) MNF on ESPNHD last night for me too. Almost always audio only, but there were a couple of times that it was accompanied by a blank (black) screen as well. When rewinding, they were always in the same spot (with the same duration and quality), suggesting that it happened during recording, not during playback.

#33 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

I don't agree. The drop outs are not consistent from box to box. Just the other day, I had the same program recorded on two different HD DVR's. A drop out that occurred on one box, did not occur on the other.

I've seen the dropouts occur during Live TV at the exact same time on 2 different STBs attached to two different dish distribution systems (one SWM, one WB68 attached to two separate dishes on my roof). What I saw may not be what is being described here, but it sure sounds similar.

#34 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:07 PM

I've seen the dropouts occur during Live TV at the exact same time on 2 different STBs attached to two different dish distribution systems (one SWM, one WB68 attached to two separate dishes on my roof). What I saw may not be what is being described here, but it sure sounds similar.

I can't help but wonder if it's not the retransmission from DirectTV rather than the source material. I get it on our HD locals a lot, but my friends watching either OTA or via cable don't seem to see (hear?) it happening.
Paul

- HR34 in the family room hooked via HDMI to a Sharp 70" LCD via Onkyo AVR
- HR24 in the den hooked via HDMI to a Vizio 47" LCD
- HR21 in master bedroom hooked via HDMI to a Vizio 32" LCD
- H21 hooked up via HDMI to a Vizio 32" in the craft room
- HR-24 via HDMI to a Vizio 32" in the bonus room
- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#35 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

Lots of audio dropout on (my recording of) MNF on ESPNHD last night for me too. Almost always audio only, but there were a couple of times that it was accompanied by a blank (black) screen as well. When rewinding, they were always in the same spot (with the same duration and quality), suggesting that it happened during recording, not during playback.

To me, the fact that replaying where the dropout occurred, suggests that Directv's transmission or ESPN is at fault & not the boxes.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#36 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

To me, the fact that replaying where the dropout occurred, suggests that Directv's transmission or ESPN is at fault & not the boxes.

I think your likely correct, however, the fact that it is in the recording could also suggest it was a hiccup in the box (momentary lack of resources??) as the recording was happening. But, as I said, I think you are likely correct. Now if we could correlate the same hiccup on multiple boxes, well, then....

#37 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

I'm getting audio studder intermittently from both live and recorded broadcasts on my HR receiver. Using the replay function on the remote corrects the problem. I don't use the SD receivers enough to know if it happens there too.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#38 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

When you guys say "dropout" are you referring to the screen getting black and audio stopping completely for 3-5 seconds?

I'm reporting just an audio drop, video held fine, with no hint of a disruption. It's easy to confuse a lot of these issues (hence your request for clarification), but in this particular case, it is a very clean audio drop, just like a hole was punched in the stream. No stutter, no accompanying video issue, just a clean hole.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#39 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

Yup. As hasan said. Just an audio drop. Nothing else skips a beat.

#40 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

Like Hasan said. No video disruption. No brrrpp. Just a brief spot of no sound 2-4 seconds long. This is an every day occurrence for me and multiple channels.

spam firewall