Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Audio dropouts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1364 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

Now if we could correlate the same hiccup on multiple boxes, well, then....

Or type of audio connection hdmi,optical digital , rca etc.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Bourbon

Bourbon

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

HR21/100 0x368
Been dealing with this BS for a while. Definitely software related. I've had limited success in unplugging for at least a minute. Got an old HD Tivo unit upstairs with no problems.

#43 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:01 AM

HR21/100 0x368
Been dealing with this BS for a while. Definitely software related. I've had limited success in unplugging for at least a minute. Got an old HD Tivo unit upstairs with no problems.

this is an issue with the mpeg4 channels. HD tivo cannot receive the channels that are having problems.

#44 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:38 AM

I've seen a noticeable increase in audio only dropouts since the last s/w update on my HR20-700. Watching a recording of "Lie to me" (Fox) had, at a guess, around 20 dropouts during the hour-long episode. Each audio dropout was very brief, I'd guess about a second or less (i.e. partial to whole word missing), and there was no disturbance at all to the video which was perfect throughout - certainly no pixellation that would have been the first indicator of any signal strength issues.

#45 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:14 AM

My dropouts are still going strong. Most are audio only but every once in awhile if you watch closely the pic. will freeze for a split second. I really have to be paying attention to notice it though. Sure would be nice if this was fixed soon.........

#46 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

I'm also having lots of dropouts on recorded shows. It was on every show I recorded the last few nights on my HR20. I tested this and recorded the same shows on our R10 and the R10 shows were fine. I hope D* has a fix for this soon. It's getting really annoying.

#47 OFFLINE   Stryker412

Stryker412

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

The past few nights when viewing recorded material, I've had intermittent audio drops. I've had the box since April and this is the first time it's been doing this. Smallville the other night was almost unwatchable (not because of content) due to the massive audio drops. Then watching Californication last night, we had 2-3 drops.

I don't watch much "Live" TV anymore, so I will have to see if it's only on my recorded shows or not.
www.osfhome.com
Community Multiplayer Gaming

#48 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

I'm also having lots of dropouts on recorded shows. It was on every show I recorded the last few nights on my HR20. I tested this and recorded the same shows on our R10 and the R10 shows were fine. I hope D* has a fix for this soon. It's getting really annoying.

Were these shows recorded in SD on the HR20's or HD?

#49 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

Were these shows recorded in SD on the HR20's or HD?

It was in HD on my HR20. I'm going to try recording in SD on the HR20 tonight and I will see if it's just in HD. I tried again last night to watch Criminal Minds in HD and I had to stop. I was dropping audio like crazy.

#50 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

I watched Criminal Minds OTA in HD and it was fine.

#51 OFFLINE   walker

walker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:46 PM

same thing here. glad to hear (no pun intended) that I'm not alone. its becoming pretty annoying.
hdmi>hr20-700

#52 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 949 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:21 AM

So this thread is talking about actual audio dropouts and not the "brrrippp", correct?

I wonder if some of these issues are actually brrrippp issues; I get the hiccup on my TV but if I'm using the receiver in Dolby Digital mode, the brrrippp just gets muted for several seconds, which is actually more annoying since it cuts out ALL the audio.

Maybe this is the same problem just manifesting itself differently for different types of audio decoders?

#53 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

For what it's worth I emailed DTV and of course they wanted me to call them. lol I just sent this thread back to them. Hi guys :D

#54 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:32 AM

So this thread is talking about actual audio dropouts and not the "brrrippp", correct?

I wonder if some of these issues are actually brrrippp issues; I get the hiccup on my TV but if I'm using the receiver in Dolby Digital mode, the brrrippp just gets muted for several seconds, which is actually more annoying since it cuts out ALL the audio.

Maybe this is the same problem just manifesting itself differently for different types of audio decoders?

No, it is not brrrp. It could be related (in that they are trying to fix the brrrp, and this is what we got so far...no brrrp, just a "hole". I'm not convinced either way (related or not), but we are talking about two easily differentiated symptoms, one is a brrrp (which this thread is not discussing) and the other is an outright clean hole in the audio. The two are impossible to confuse (in observation) in that they sound completely different.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#55 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:00 AM

I have brrpps and dropouts. Far far far more dropouts. Most every program at least once. Some programs far more often and some channels like ESPN or the Showtime channels it is pretty common.

I do not know if this is an HD only problem? I rarely watch any SD so I have no frame of reference.

#56 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

I am noticing a lot of audio dropouts on Cartoon Network HD right now. Very annoying.

#57 OFFLINE   tomlin

tomlin

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

I had the drop outs last night on ESPN 2, they stopped when I went into the HR 23 menu to turn off DD. Never had any dropouts before the last firmware upgrade.

I posted a longer version of this in the "HR2x 0x0368" forum (I don't have enough posts to give the actual URL)

I haven't noticed the brrrrrrrp for a while now, but the short (less than a second) audio dropouts have been more frequent. It's been approx 4 hours since I turned DD off. So far, so good.

I have an HR22.

#58 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:51 PM

You guys should email them if you have the time to mess with them. So far they have told me to reset the box several times even though I told them I already did that in the first email. It's pretty comical/sad. :D

#59 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

I called about the time this thread started.

#60 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

I called about the time this thread started.

Im convinced it doesnt do any good to call them. They told me the last time I called them, that they do not even have DirecTv available to them in the call center, so they cannot even tune in a problem channel to verify its a nationwide problem that a RESET wont fix. Then they find out you dont have the protection plan, and want to send a $$$ tech to check it. Its next to impossible to convince them its a nationwide problem, so I just quit calling. My head hurts from banging it against the brick wall.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...