Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Audio dropouts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1364 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   walker

walker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:46 PM

same thing here. glad to hear (no pun intended) that I'm not alone. its becoming pretty annoying.
hdmi>hr20-700

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:21 AM

So this thread is talking about actual audio dropouts and not the "brrrippp", correct?

I wonder if some of these issues are actually brrrippp issues; I get the hiccup on my TV but if I'm using the receiver in Dolby Digital mode, the brrrippp just gets muted for several seconds, which is actually more annoying since it cuts out ALL the audio.

Maybe this is the same problem just manifesting itself differently for different types of audio decoders?

#53 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

For what it's worth I emailed DTV and of course they wanted me to call them. lol I just sent this thread back to them. Hi guys :D

#54 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:32 AM

So this thread is talking about actual audio dropouts and not the "brrrippp", correct?

I wonder if some of these issues are actually brrrippp issues; I get the hiccup on my TV but if I'm using the receiver in Dolby Digital mode, the brrrippp just gets muted for several seconds, which is actually more annoying since it cuts out ALL the audio.

Maybe this is the same problem just manifesting itself differently for different types of audio decoders?

No, it is not brrrp. It could be related (in that they are trying to fix the brrrp, and this is what we got so far...no brrrp, just a "hole". I'm not convinced either way (related or not), but we are talking about two easily differentiated symptoms, one is a brrrp (which this thread is not discussing) and the other is an outright clean hole in the audio. The two are impossible to confuse (in observation) in that they sound completely different.
...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

#55 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:00 AM

I have brrpps and dropouts. Far far far more dropouts. Most every program at least once. Some programs far more often and some channels like ESPN or the Showtime channels it is pretty common.

I do not know if this is an HD only problem? I rarely watch any SD so I have no frame of reference.

#56 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

I am noticing a lot of audio dropouts on Cartoon Network HD right now. Very annoying.

#57 OFFLINE   tomlin

tomlin

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

I had the drop outs last night on ESPN 2, they stopped when I went into the HR 23 menu to turn off DD. Never had any dropouts before the last firmware upgrade.

I posted a longer version of this in the "HR2x 0x0368" forum (I don't have enough posts to give the actual URL)

I haven't noticed the brrrrrrrp for a while now, but the short (less than a second) audio dropouts have been more frequent. It's been approx 4 hours since I turned DD off. So far, so good.

I have an HR22.

#58 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:51 PM

You guys should email them if you have the time to mess with them. So far they have told me to reset the box several times even though I told them I already did that in the first email. It's pretty comical/sad. :D

#59 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

I called about the time this thread started.

#60 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

I called about the time this thread started.

Im convinced it doesnt do any good to call them. They told me the last time I called them, that they do not even have DirecTv available to them in the call center, so they cannot even tune in a problem channel to verify its a nationwide problem that a RESET wont fix. Then they find out you dont have the protection plan, and want to send a $$$ tech to check it. Its next to impossible to convince them its a nationwide problem, so I just quit calling. My head hurts from banging it against the brick wall.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#61 OFFLINE   gquiring

gquiring

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:54 PM

You can add me to the list. Dropouts not bripps. I also have noticed a lip sync problem on TNT for days now. I reset the box and no better. I don't get it, I have had D* since 1995, back then it just worked. Today it's like we have beta service 24/7.

#62 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:54 PM

I think it's just the HD channels. I recorded some things over the weekend in HD and SD on my HR20 and the HD channels had the audio dropouts. The SD recordings were fine. It really sucks that I have to record in SD. I called D* and they had no idea what it could be. All I know is it used to be just fine and now its unwatchable.

#63 OFFLINE   sailermon

sailermon

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

It is definitely HD only and could be just MP4. My wife, who watches SD on a R-15 DVR asked me how I con stand to watch this and ask me not to upgrade her to HD until this is fixed.

I don't think the problem is the source material and suspect it is related to the software and/or compression. I have noticed subtle changes with each software release. Less blurps and more dropouts, but overall things are getting worse. I notice it the most on HD local NBC, KCRA-TV Sacramento, CA. This seems to be more prevalent during the weather, which has a lot of detailed graphics (radar). I am not an expert on this by any means but it makes me suspect the compression software. This would also explain why it happens so often during high action sports (ESPN).

I wish the software guys would spend more time fixing these basic picture quality related types of problems before adding extra "nice to have" features that are not critical like MRV, DLBB, thumbnails for cast and crew, media sharing, etc. Please get your priorities straight DTV and remember that customer satisfaction is everything.

My Setup

#64 OFFLINE   gquiring

gquiring

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

Watching Smallville tonight on ch 11 the audio dropouts during the last 15 minutes was beyond bad. Zero issues with the picture, just 3-5 second audio dropouts.

#65 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:57 AM

Continues to be annoying. On Thursday I watched ESPN, ESPN 2 and the NFL channel. (Basketball, football)

The audio dropouts were far too often on every channel.

I hope this problem is on Directv's radar. Calling tech support accomplishes nothing because the usual restart, reboot, etc answers change nothing. This is not an end-user issue. (something the end user can "fix") It is a hardware/software/program issue.

#66 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:11 AM

http://www.directv.c...60016#h:694.536

Someone will contact you and try to get your problem resolved asap its helped me in the past.

Directv's Office Of the President.
They are customer advocates

#67 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

I sent the email. Got a call this morning. The lady who responded to my email was very polite and said she would check with the engineers about this issue. She has read this thread and is aware of the issues.

She told me they have nothing in their database about this problem.

She asked if I had called Directv and gone through "troubleshooting". I told her that we were well beyond doing this and that this is a hardware/software/program issue. (and not a tech 101, reboot, check the cable, etc issue)

We'll see what happens from here. I was very pleased with Directv's response. May not fix the problem but they were proactive and prompt in their response.

#68 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:38 AM

The lady from Directv asked if perhaps we could document specific time/program instances so here goes.....

Watched a HD recording of SyFy Stargate Universe, 4 audio dropouts.

Watched a HD recording Of National Geographic The First Jesus, 3 audio dropouts

#69 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

They said they would call me but never did. Tell her to watch ESPN2 or Speed and answer her own questions. :D

#70 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

I don't think the audio dropouts are an every customer problem.

#71 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

I have been getting audio dropouts too. I had no idea so many people had been getting them.

#72 OFFLINE   mdwood

mdwood

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

I've been getting them for about a week too, some video blackouts as well. Watching the Packers/9ers game and the video drops every once in a while.

#73 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

Audio drop-outs for me too here in the Florida Panhandle. I will see if I can remember to document time and channel for now on.

#74 OFFLINE   jfor26

jfor26

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

I live in central PA and watching the eagles game tonight is horrible.!!!!!. not like i am missing much.

#75 OFFLINE   Stryker412

Stryker412

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:30 AM

I had audio dropouts watching a recording of "Stargate Universe". Also, "Smallville" this week was almost unwatchable. Huge portions of audio dropped out. I think there was maybe one or two during "Friday Night Lights" as well.
www.osfhome.com
Community Multiplayer Gaming

Protected By... spam firewall...And...