Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Audio dropouts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1364 replies to this topic

#1351 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,165 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

One thing I don't understand is why don't more people have this issue?

This is a good question.

One would think if two customers were watching the same channel/show, that they both would notice them/it.

Along this line: During the testing of the HR24 and its DD5.1 dropouts, I've had someone else record the same show at the same time.

I played it back with the internally generated dropouts.

He played it back and heard none. :confused:

Had my HR24 replaced and then new one did the same thing, so it didn't look like bad hardware.

The Firmware was found to be the cause of it and has been fixed.

Why could someone else with the same hardware & defective software not hear what I did with every recording with DD5.1? :confused:

Maybe some of us simply listen better than others. :confused:
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1352 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:24 AM

Well, they do seem more subtle than they used to be. I remember quite a long time ago (well over a year) where we had audio drop outs that were accompanied with some kind of pop or other noise, and they seemed to be on a more frequent cycle. I don't experience any noise any more. It's a much more subtle brief mute, much like having just a single "bad" word edited out.
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#1353 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:54 AM

For me it's like having a single bad sentence edited out.

#1354 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:44 AM

I left DirecTV six months ago. I was experiencing frequent intermittent audio dropouts with my HR21.

I signed back up a few weeks ago and got new HR24. It has double the audio dropouts I had with the HR21. Plus I also lose audio completely if I over use trick play until I red button restart.
Almost there.
A few more seconds please...

#1355 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,165 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

I left DirecTV six months ago. I was experiencing frequent intermittent audio dropouts with my HR21.

I signed back up a few weeks ago and got new HR24. It has double the audio dropouts I had with the HR21. Plus I also lose audio completely if I over use trick play until I red button restart.

Some of this will improve with the next firmware release, as the current one still has a problem with anything but "live TV". I had a repeat rate of every 4 mins. This has been addressed for the next release.
Trickplay has yet to be sorted out though. I haven't had to reboot mine for it, but 30 sec skips randomly do strange things and I need to either skip ahead or back to get it playing again.
A.K.A VOS

#1356 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

This is a good question.

One would think if two customers were watching the same channel/show, that they both would notice them/it.

Along this line: During the testing of the HR24 and its DD5.1 dropouts, I've had someone else record the same show at the same time.

I played it back with the internally generated dropouts.

He played it back and heard none. :confused:

Had my HR24 replaced and then new one did the same thing, so it didn't look like bad hardware.

The Firmware was found to be the cause of it and has been fixed.

Why could someone else with the same hardware & defective software not hear what I did with every recording with DD5.1? :confused:

VOS

Are you saying that the firmware update fixed your HR24 and it is now free of the audio dropouts? What about your other sat. receivers, do they still have the audio dropouts?

#1357 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,165 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

VOS

Are you saying that the firmware update fixed your HR24 and it is now free of the audio dropouts? What about your other sat. receivers, do they still have the audio dropouts?

The test version of firmware I'm running has fixed the HR24-500 problem, "BUT" it can't fix the SAT feed problem.
There are or were two Audio dropout issues. The oldest is in the SAT feed and effects all MPEG-4 receivers.
This masked a problem with the HR24-500, because its problem was being dismissed as the SAT feed problem.
The HR24-500 has/had a DD5.1 problem with playback from the drive or from the network using MRV.
This is what the new firmware has resolved.
A.K.A VOS

#1358 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

The test version of firmware I'm running has fixed the HR24-500 problem, "BUT" it can't fix the SAT feed problem.
There are or were two Audio dropout issues. The oldest is in the SAT feed and effects all MPEG-4 receivers.
This masked a problem with the HR24-500, because its problem was being dismissed as the SAT feed problem.
The HR24-500 has/had a DD5.1 problem with playback from the drive or from the network using MRV.
This is what the new firmware has resolved.

I'm relatively new to this forum so please forgive me if I seem to be asking redundant questions. With the research that I have done it appears that you are or have been in touch with DirecTV about the audio problems. Do you know when or if these problems will be fixed?

I have had these same audio dropouts since last fall on 3 Different set-ups.
H20/600 connected via HDMI to a Samsung tv. No AVR involved.
H21/100 connected via HDMI to a Panasonic tv with an optical connection to a Sony STR-DE845 AVR.
H23/600 connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR then on via HDMI to a Panasonic tv.
I hear it on all. Obviously it's not my AVR's etc.

#1359 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

Some of this will improve with the next firmware release, as the current one still has a problem with anything but "live TV". I had a repeat rate of every 4 mins. This has been addressed for the next release.
Trickplay has yet to be sorted out though. I haven't had to reboot mine for it, but 30 sec skips randomly do strange things and I need to either skip ahead or back to get it playing again.

So the HR24 problems haven't been completely resolved with the newer firmware since you are still having trick play audio problems?
Glad I didn't end up getting an HR24 when they replaced my receiver then. The audio drops are bad enough, if I then started getting trickplay audio problems too I would have been pissed.

#1360 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,165 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

So the HR24 problems haven't been completely resolved with the newer firmware since you are still having trick play audio problems?
Glad I didn't end up getting an HR24 when they replaced my receiver then. The audio drops are bad enough, if I then started getting trickplay audio problems too I would have been pissed.

Trickplay on the HR24 is kind of like the old "pinky" in the early days of the HR20.
It's not always a problem/there, but pops up every now and then and has been there since day one of them.
One skip ahead or back gets it going again for me.
A.K.A VOS

#1361 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,165 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

I'm relatively new to this forum so please forgive me if I seem to be asking redundant questions. With the research that I have done it appears that you are or have been in touch with DirecTV about the audio problems. Do you know when or if these problems will be fixed?

I've sent a message off asking for anything they can say about it. I have yet to get a reply. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#1362 OFFLINE   swans

swans

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

They don't care. ...

... They keep denying it and keep insisting a service call will fix it. They have reformatted the hard drive, forced a software upgrade, even moved the dish (claiming an alignment issue) with no change.

DirecTV doesn't care. They want to make the whole problem an inconvenience for us and say it is a problem with our equipment.

#1363 OFFLINE   swans

swans

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:57 AM

Has the occurrence of the drop-outs shrunk, or have people just stopped complaining because they've given up on DirecTV even admitting there's a problem, much less fixing it? At this point, I consider audio drop-outs to be a normal trait of DirecTV service. I think I've learned to subconsciously read lips well enough that sometimes I don't even notice it unless I pay attention.

Wouldn't that suggest that it's NOT an MPEG2 to MPEG4 transcoding issue? I thought they were supposed to have switched to an MPEG4 feed from HBO a long time ago.

I could never recommend DirecTV to any body at this point.:nono2:

#1364 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 985 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

DirecTV doesn't care. They want to make the whole problem an inconvenience for us and say it is a problem with our equipment.

I respectfully disagree. Why would D* do that when it would undoubtedly cause additional service calls and/or receiver replacements?

I agree with VOS and trust him when he says that the engineering team is both aware of the issue and working to find the problem in the encoding/decoding of the signal where failures cause AVR's to lose the DD audio feed momentarily before they once again find it. Also, perhaps you missed it in either this thread or a similar thread where VOS was discussing the loaner AVR he had been provided while his AVR was off at D* so they could replicate the issues he has been reporting.

I personally have the same audio dropout issues on my Onkyo and am content that the problem is being analyzed and that a fix will be found.

#1365 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 37,032 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

Let's continue discussion here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=182017
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...