Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will receiver DRD430RG still work?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TTran

TTran

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

My in laws moved here to sunny FL and has 2 old receivers-DRD430RG.

Both has the cards still in them, would they still work?

Thank you for any feedback.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

Those sound like early RCA models - My first impression would be that they probably can't be activated any longer due to the old/outdated access cards in them. Call Directv and see.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:55 PM

If they will still let you activate them, you will most likely need to get new access cards.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,067 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

Assuming they will activate it you will have some issues (I speak from experience) It cannot receive any of the 4 digit channels and I have heard that a few of the specialty 3 digit channels are also excluded due to memory limitations. With a later model DRD480 I found that I would only have maybe 48 hours of guide data due to limited memory.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,555 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

These very old Receivers lack sufficient memory to handle all of the DirecTV channels, so you'll be stuck with incomplete Guide information with missing channels. Best to get a newer Receiver.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

That is a last non rid generation. Fastest unit before going to DTV brand units. 6th gen. They are actually faster then current d10 d11 d12 units. No bells and whistles and yes 48 hr guide.
The channels they are talking about are remote based games and interactive channels. They get tv just fine. Just not sunday ticket. Dtv made that if you want sunday ticket you need a newer unit. They may or may not get local channels. Do not get hd or mpeg4 so if your locals are either no locals.

You can add those to your account. You will need to buy an access card for 20$ if they have not been on your account. If the in laws are wanting to turn them on its the same. If they were former customers and these were their boxes on their account then no new card will be needed to be purchased for them. If the card is too old DTV will send them ones for free. This way you/ they would have owned units and no contract. Great for only occasional use in guest rooms.
Owned units can be turned on and off whenever you want. People visit turn them on. Empty room turn them off and Save the 5$ a month.
They are covered by the protection plan. If they die DTV will send you a newer owned unit to replace them.

Edited by my1423, 07 November 2009 - 08:18 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   TTran

TTran

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I am thinking about taking the receivers. Doesn't need to get anything special, its mainly for a guest room and my kids play room for toons.

I am sure I need new cards, once I do get them, all I have to do it call up DTV and have them activated? Since the in laws own them, there is no monthly fee for the 2 receivers?

FYI
I am currently a DTV customer.

#8 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I am thinking about taking the receivers. Doesn't need to get anything special, its mainly for a guest room and my kids play room for toons.

I am sure I need new cards, once I do get them, all I have to do it call up DTV and have them activated? Since the in laws own them, there is no monthly fee for the 2 receivers?

FYI
I am currently a DTV customer.

There would be a monthly charge of $4.99 for each of them. Why not ask Directv if they will give you new ones for free?

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:52 AM

Since you'd be switching them from your in-laws account to your account, you'll probably need to pay $20 for each receiver for a new access card.

It is very unlikely that you will be able to get them upgraded for free if you activate them under your account. If your in-laws activated them, DirecTV might upgrade them for free since they had originally been on that account. This is to prevent people from buy old cheap receivers and then getting free upgrades.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:18 AM

Even the new SD receivers only hold 3 1/2 days worth of programing guide.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#11 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

I still have one of those rca drd430rg up and running. They will still activate those, just when you call, say you want to be transferred to the access card department. Then tell them you want to activate them, and they will ask you a few questions and it will be up and running. Not true that these receivers don't have enough memory. Mine still can show the sunday ticket and nba stuff. So yes this one is still good to use with no problems in the guide. I have a drd420 and that one does have an issue with the sunday ticket. Either way if you're not planning on getting sunday ticket or the nba channels it will be good to go using the drd430rg.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

I'm moving this to the SD receiver forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:51 PM

I still have two old DRD420's live and in use. The only deficiency I see in the guide is in the info for Adult Swim. They have a lot of 15 minute shows and in any half hour of guide info, only one of those 15 minute shows has program info in the guide.

Apart from that, no problems or issues. I even had them re-send autorization to one of them a few months back because some locals were missing.

I was sent new access cards for all of my receivers several years back, including the old RCAs.

I don't see any reason you couldn't get them activated. You may need to purchase new access cards if for no other reason than the change of ownership. Big deal. Youll spend more than that on monthly mirroring fees on each unit by Easter.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

spam firewall