Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is the NFL Sunday Ticket worth it anymore?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

I have been a longtime DirecTV customer since the first day they had the Sunday Ticket. In fact, that was the SOLE reason I got DirecTV back in the 1990s--because of the NFL ST. As a Steelers fan living outside of Chicago, Sunday Ticket was a godsend to me, and the cost was justified by the fact that I could see Pittsburgh every weekend on TV. I'd say for years that almost all games were viewable on ST.

Over the last few years, however, the ST games have decreased in overall numbers because of a few things: Sunday night football adding a nationally viewable game (Monday Night Football has always been there, so that's moot), the NFL Network adding several Thursday games, and even some Saturday games on the aforementioned network.

Because of this, I can see the Steelers on free TV more than 1, 2, or 3 times, which used to be the norm. Out of 16 games a season, the Steelers have been available nationally, including during the nationwide FOX or CBS second Sunday game broadcast, anywhere from 6 to 9 times on average. This means I end up paying $300 for ST (if not more) for what amounts to 7 to 10 games, effectively meaning I'm paying $40 to $50 per Steelers Sunday Ticket broadcast game.

I'm wondering if it's worth it for me anymore. I'm sure I'm not alone. My sister is a big Cowboys fan and she has expressed the same sentiment, wondering if ST is worth it for her (she doesn't live with me, btw).

I fault the NFL for most of this, but I also fault DirecTV a little. Couldn't they convince the NFL to not increase the proliferation of so many non-Sunday exclusive games? The result is that there just aren't many games on ST anymore. Therefore, the price of that package should go down, not up.

Just my 2 cents.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,844 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

It depends...lol.
~Money
~Where you live
~What teams you follow
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   strack

strack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:45 PM

I have been thinking the same thing for the past 3 years. I have had the ST for 12 years.

I am Jets fan and live in South Florida. After 8 games, only 2 Jets games were not shown on the local TV stations or ESPN. So for the first half of the season cost me about $100 per game.

#4 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

It depends...lol.
~Money
~Where you live
~What teams you follow

I'm sure, which is why while I know I'm not alone in this thinking, I also realize that many still believe it's worth it. I'm willing to bet, however, that a greater number of people are wondering if it's worth it.

Remember when football used to be every Sunday plus Monday Night Football? I can live with Sunday Night Football diluting the pool, so to speak, but with more and more Thursdays being played, with the NFL Network taking more broadcasts, and more Saturdays being played, the NFL Sunday Ticket is a shell of its earlier self.

As far as DirecTV is concerned, they should have not let the Red Zone Channel and other ST-related apps be available to other, non-DirecTV customers. That further dilutes the ST and its value.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:07 AM

To me the big deterrent is the price. If it were like $50 then I might be a DirecTV customer and might have Sunday Ticket.

But most of the time the choice of 3 games OTA on Sunday + Sunday night + Monday night + the Thursday night games the last half of the season... and most of the time I'm happy with my choices. Really happy with the "free" price of those choices (except for NFL Network and ESPN of course).

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:25 AM

It's still worth it to me.
I am a (sob) Jets fan in New Jersey. And I have season tickets to the Jets (last year - do not ask about Personal Seat Licenses).

Yes, it is all about money.
I love NFL football. I love having the choices available to me.

Frankly, it's one of the major reasons I keep DirecTV (we've had a lot of problems since going to HD). I will keep subscribing to Sunday Ticket as I love football!

#7 OFFLINE   tadtam

tadtam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:25 AM

The reason I got D* was in the 90's I was in VT and the NFC moved to FOX Network. There was no Fox station in Burlington, VT so I paid about $900 for a receiver and installed it myself so I could watch the Giants. Back then Sunday Ticket was about $100.

Now the price is way too high. I go down to the local pub and its cheaper even with the beer and wings....:hurah::hurah:
“There are 10 kinds of people in this world,
those who know binary and those who don't."

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:33 AM

According tot he most recent financial conference call....DirecTV indicated NFL Sunday Ticket is still doing quite well, in terms of subscribers....so I guess many feel it is still worth it.

That said, I have been going through an annual ritual here too asking the same questions as Vader. I've had NFLST since it was first offered.

With many games on ESPN, NBC, and CBS anyway....unless you want to make sure you can get all your favorite team's games...its a toss-up.

In my case, I could have seen my team play 6 of their 16 games without NFLST whatsoever. While true fans would likely feel they want access to every game....if I got 8 or more games without NFLST, I suspect I would discontinue the service - tough choices.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#9 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:26 AM

You also have to figure the Steelers have been doing quite well the last few years, so they will be shown on TV more. NFL ST with Superfan breaks down to $25 a week for all 16 weeks of the NFL season. IMO it is well worth the price.

J

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:59 AM

Its worth it to me. Im a Colts fan in Oklahoma. Sure the Colts have some nationally televised games just like everyone else but I have also watched every Vikings and Falcons game this year as well as other key matchups. To me its well worth it. I plan to have it for years to come.

#11 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:03 AM

I watch the Cowboys. Most (if not all) of their games are nationally televised. No need to pay extra for them. :D

#12 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

I have been a longtime DirecTV customer since the first day they had the Sunday Ticket. In fact, that was the SOLE reason I got DirecTV back in the 1990s--because of the NFL ST. As a Steelers fan living outside of Chicago, Sunday Ticket was a godsend to me, and the cost was justified by the fact that I could see Pittsburgh every weekend on TV. I'd say for years that almost all games were viewable on ST.

Over the last few years, however, the ST games have decreased in overall numbers because of a few things: Sunday night football adding a nationally viewable game (Monday Night Football has always been there, so that's moot), the NFL Network adding several Thursday games, and even some Saturday games on the aforementioned network.

Because of this, I can see the Steelers on free TV more than 1, 2, or 3 times, which used to be the norm. Out of 16 games a season, the Steelers have been available nationally, including during the nationwide FOX or CBS second Sunday game broadcast, anywhere from 6 to 9 times on average. This means I end up paying $300 for ST (if not more) for what amounts to 7 to 10 games, effectively meaning I'm paying $40 to $50 per Steelers Sunday Ticket broadcast game.

I'm wondering if it's worth it for me anymore. I'm sure I'm not alone. My sister is a big Cowboys fan and she has expressed the same sentiment, wondering if ST is worth it for her (she doesn't live with me, btw).

I fault the NFL for most of this, but I also fault DirecTV a little. Couldn't they convince the NFL to not increase the proliferation of so many non-Sunday exclusive games? The result is that there just aren't many games on ST anymore. Therefore, the price of that package should go down, not up.

Just my 2 cents.

As long as the Steelers are winning Super bowls, they will continue to be broadcast on "Free" TV (national feeds) , Thta's why you are able to see them more than the lions--TV RATINGS Driven.

So I suggest you drop Sunday Ticket as long as they are winning.

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

In that case I'll never subscribe to ST then, because they'll keep winning. After all, it's not like they're the overhyped, overrated Cowboys or something. :D

#14 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:25 PM

Over the last few years, however, the ST games have decreased in overall numbers because of a few things: Sunday night football adding a nationally viewable game (Monday Night Football has always been there, so that's moot)...

It's been over 20 years now that Sunday Night Football has been broadcast, first on ESPN then NBC. Over two decades would hardly constitute a new phenomenon. And as it got later in the Season, I can always recall some Thursday/Saturday games being added, after College Football regular Season ended. Honestly, if SNF and MNF were dropped and all games were at 2PM and 5:15 EST, I'd be fine with that. I don't think of the NFL as a "night" sport myself.

I subbed to ST last year, but I didn't do it because I'm an out-of-market fan, I just wanted to follow the whole league via RZC-HD. So, yeah LV, it's mid-way through the Season so it's too late for 2009, but if you don't feel it's of maximum benefit to you, call to cancel in 2010 and consider and weight any offer for you to stay on.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#15 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

Eagles fan here. And because my team stays competitive from year to year, they are on frequently. So I get ST for those games that aren't on, but the big thing to me is I can watch whatever game I want. That means big match ups late in the year I can see instead of the Jags or Bucs. I have the money for it, so to me it is essential. I love my football Sundays. It is an all day event at my house.

#16 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:29 PM

It's worth every penny to my wife and me. It is the single reason I would NEVER switch to another provider.

I see the people flocking to the sports bars just to "see" their favorite team play on Sunday. Not being able to hear the game is a deal breaker for me. Who knows how much they're spending while they're there?
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#17 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

Around this time year, NFL Network starts having the thursday night game. Which opens the door for more fans to see their favorite team espicially if they are playing well. Usually after week 8, we know who the good teams are and what matchups should be good. I am usually watching the local broadcasts(Saints,Pats,Ind). If that game isn't part of the five games that we see that aren't part of sunday ticket and it is a good game there's NFL Replay on NFL Network to catch that game a few days later. I wouldn't have renewed Sunday Ticket for Full price, I got a deal like a lot of folks and that is the only reason I kept it. Next year I'm not sure even getting a deal will make me keep it espicially with the economy going the way it is.
my setup here

#18 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

as a previous poster said. It depends on where you live, what teams you follow, and what teams your local CBS/or FOX stations show mostly from week to week. If you don't live in the area where your favorite team is then NFL Sunday Ticket is a must have. If you live in the City where your favorite team plays and you get to see them every week on Local TV then NFL Sunday Ticket might not be as valuable to you. In my case I have to have it because I would not get to see every Bears game because I Live In Tennessee Titans and New Orleans Saints territory.

#19 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

I have always caught the teams I want to see free locally so I have never purchased ST. I think this is going to cause it to get cheaper over the years. This year Im following the Colts, Dolphins, and the Vikings and a lot of the games have been on one of the locals in my area.

#20 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

MsGuy, as a Chicago area resident, allow me to say that you don't WANT to watch the Bears this season. They suck!

spam firewall