Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Converting dish mount to OTA mount

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IDRick

IDRick

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

I'm looking for some assistance. A friend had to drop Dish due to the economy and wants to switch to OTA. I plan on mounting an antenna on his dish mount tomorrow. I am assuming I can use the same wiring to carry the OTA signal to the two tvs at his home. He is located 50 miles away and I can't preview his existing set up in advance. I'm not familiar with Dish satellite setups. Can someone tell me what I need to do to a) remove the dish and B) connect the antenna to the wiring?

Thanks!

Rick

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,164 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

Disconnect the coax from the LNB assembly on the dish. Loosen mounting bolts and remove dish from mast. Depending on what antenna you plan to install, the mast for the dish may or may not support it. You will need some type of hardware to mount the antenna to the mast (and probably a pipe to extend the length of the mast). You should be able to connect the coax to the antenna to run the signal to the TV location(s). You will probably need a splitter (one coax from antenna to splitter input, coax from splitter outputs to each tv).

#3 OFFLINE   IDRick

IDRick

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:23 PM

Thanks Carl! I will be installing an EZ HD antenna by Denny's Antenna. It's small and designed to be mounted on a sat dish mount. Can I repurpose the rg-6 from the sat dish to carry the OTA? It's probably obvious when you can see it directly but I've not been up close to a dish to inspect the wiring.

Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:44 AM

As carl6 said, just use one of the existing RG6 cables for the antenna.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,062 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

As carl6 said, just use one of the existing RG6 cables for the antenna.

If it is an older Dish 500 there may be some SW-1 switches in the line, which must be removed.

I mounted a 4-bay + reflector screen UHF antenna to an old Dish mount and it was fine.

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

At fifty miles you may want to go to antennaweb.org and enter the address. They will give you compass lines to the closest broadsact towers and suggest an antenna size.

You may want to make some marks on the dish and mast so you can reinstall the dish. Just a line to match up is enough.

Check the TVs for the presence of the ATSC chip to read digital signals or you will need one for each set.

Joe

#7 OFFLINE   IDRick

IDRick

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:03 PM

Thanks everyone! The OTA install was very easy. As Carl6 predicted, I needed a two way splitter. Simply removed a diplexer, added a two way splitter, connected the antenna to splitter input and tv cable runs to splitter outputs... Very quick and easy! :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...