Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VERY odd OTA findings - little help, please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sarfdawg

sarfdawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

Not a huge deal - really found money, if you will.

I had a set of powered rabbit ears that I hooked up to my new Samsung plasma. I am about 40 miles north of Atlanta, and I wanted to see if the rabbit ears would simply pick up Atlanta channels. I have really struggled in the past pulling in OTAs, but I haven't really tried in the past year or so - not a huge need.

Well, I went through and scanned, and I pulled about six channels of which I didn't recognize the call letters. So, I googled the results and I'm getting multiple channels (e.g. 15-1, 15-2, 15-3) from places like Montgomery (AL) Birmingham, Chattanooga, and Huntsville (AL). What makes it even more interesting is that I got nothing from my Atlanta channels. The cities I hit are from as far as 200+ miles away.

Now, I have a pretty good idea why this happened as far as hitting channels that aren't local and not hitting the ones nearby - the power is too strong to hit the locals. I get that part. I guess I'm just stunned by pulling in channels from hundreds of miles away!!!

Did the digital transition have anything to do with this? Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Jack

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sarfdawg

sarfdawg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:21 AM

Sorry - wrong forum. Please disregard. I'm headed to the OTA forum now.

#3 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:47 PM

Sorry that I can't answer your question, but you might want to try to find some answers over @ AVS Forum, where they have a compiled US Local HD Broadcast thread. If you don't find your specific location, check the thread for the nearest community to see if anyone from your location has posted. Good luck.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:54 AM

I'm moving this to the local reception forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:40 PM

...the power is too strong to hit the locals

I'm stumped. WHDF, Huntsville (virtual channel 15.1, RF channel 14) is actually located in Florence, AL, which is even further away from you. I couldn't find any translators that might be closer. I guess it's possible you scanned during some interesting propagation, in which case the signals would probably be gone now.

I don't understand your comment regarding locals, however. Cumming should have line of sight to the Atlanta stations.

#6 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

Are there obstructions in the way like hills, mountains, etc?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...