Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VERY odd OTA findings - little help, please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sarfdawg

sarfdawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:23 AM

Not a huge deal - really found money, if you will.

I had a set of powered rabbit ears that I hooked up to my new Samsung plasma. I am about 40 miles north of Atlanta, and I wanted to see if the rabbit ears would simply pick up Atlanta channels. I have really struggled in the past pulling in OTAs, but I haven't really tried in the past year or so - not a huge need.

Well, I went through and scanned, and I pulled about six channels of which I didn't recognize the call letters. So, I googled the results and I'm getting multiple channels (e.g. 15-1, 15-2, 15-3) from places like Montgomery (AL) Birmingham, Chattanooga, and Huntsville (AL). What makes it even more interesting is that I got nothing from my Atlanta channels. The cities I hit are from as far as 200+ miles away.

Now, I have a pretty good idea why this happened as far as hitting channels that aren't local and not hitting the ones nearby - the power is too strong to hit the locals. I get that part. I guess I'm just stunned by pulling in channels from hundreds of miles away!!!

Did the digital transition have anything to do with this? Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Jack

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

Below is a message from the Houston OTA forum at AVSForums. The tropowhatever may be involved in your case.

The past few days have produced extreme tropospheric ducting effects across the southern US. Attached is a sample of the paths reported for 144-MHz (not far from Ch 7) on http://www.mountainl....ath.cgi?map=na (automated packet system) early on Sat morning. Some of the strong Houston signals were supressing the decoding of a few of our locals here in San Antonio.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#3 OFFLINE   sarfdawg

sarfdawg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

That link is giving me a "broken link" message. Not sure what this means...

Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   sarfdawg

sarfdawg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

Let the record indicate that I have rescanned, now that it's dark, and I am no longer getting the channels in AL and TN that I was getting earlier. Also, I am still not able to get any local OTAs other than one that is broadcast very near where we live.

I couldn't get that link above to work, but reading what I was able to understand from Olguy sounds like the premise behind the movie "Frequency." :)

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

Let the record indicate that I have rescanned, now that it's dark, and I am no longer getting the channels in AL and TN that I was getting earlier. Also, I am still not able to get any local OTAs other than one that is broadcast very near where we live.

I couldn't get that link above to work, but reading what I was able to understand from Olguy sounds like the premise behind the movie "Frequency." :)

"Frequency" is one of my favorite movies (so is the "Back to the Future" trilogy). While not bending time"Tropo" ducting bends radio signals and makes for interesting viewing, but you can't count on it for daily viewing.

If you want to get your locals, you may need an outdoor antenna, or at the very least an indoor antenna properly aimed out a window that faces the direction of the local stations.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Every spring and fall, early morning, late evening, the atmosphere becomes tiered in a way as to cause VHF and UHF terrestrial television stations to "duct", i.e. they enter the duct at the horizon to the transmitter, and are carried very close to the ground, as opposed to their normal behavior, which is to fly off into space in a direct line. When they happens, you will be able to get increasingly farther and farther station, depending on how widespread the duct is, and in which direction. In some cases, the signals in the duct will be stronger than the local transmitters signal level at your location, causing the distance station to override your local station.

In the past two weeks, from Central Arkansas, I have picked up TV stations from Panama City, Florida, all across the gulf coast to Houston, Tx, and over to San Antonio. Its been a very active spring. The following website will show you the current conditions of ducting. If your location falls within a big red blob, you should be able to receive tv stations from within the same red blob.

http://www.mountainl...path.cgi?map=na

For predictions of future ducts:

http://www.dxinfocen...opo.html#hour24

For Forum of TV DX nuts (those of us that actually spend money trying to see how far away we can pick up tv stations:

http://www.wtfda.info/index.php

Protected By... spam firewall...And...