Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New HD DVR arriving...experience and questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Caliking

Caliking

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

My first post...longtime lurker.

My H21-200 died about three weeks ago. I just got around to calling (busy with two boys :) coaching and teaching). First try the CSR offered me $149.00 offer for an HD-DVR upgrade and I said no thanks. Tried a second try, was transferred to a techie. They immediately pointed out that they were appreciative of my loyalty since 2000.

I explained my receiver died and that I already did all the troubleshoots, etc. She immediately told me they would send a replacement to me and only charge me shipping "if that is OK with you?" I responded that I wouldn't like to pay anything if possible but I would pay shipping if she would be willing to send me an HD-DVR instead at no charge. She said let me check, came back within 10 seconds and said "no problem sir, we will send that to you within the next 2 days--no extra charge beyond shipping". I was shocked that it was so easy. I was very appreciative.

Now on to the question:
Am I going to need to add another line from the dish? I have one HD-DVR already in my living room but my current situation in the bedroom was only an HD receiver...now, with the upgrade to HD-DVR am I going to need to do something? If so, what and how?

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CoramDeo

CoramDeo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

Amazing. When I tried to get D* to ship me an HD DVR when my H20-600 was dying, they wanted $199 and I had to wait 8 weeks for "professional installation." Several other tries resulted in the same "deal" with one of them even suggesting that I could go to Best Buy (89.2 mile drive according to the Google map). I gave up and got them to send me another H20-600. Probably good since you can't scan for channels with an HR series, but still. Congrats anyways :)

#3 OFFLINE   CoramDeo

CoramDeo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:55 PM

Oh, your question :) You will need two lines if you want to watch something, and record something else simultaneously. If you have SWM, you can do it with just one line. eBay has SWM packages in the $40 range that are a snap to self-install. I wouldn't mention SWM to the CSR, though.

#4 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk (well, at least as a poster)!

Yes, you will need a second line to be able to use both tuners. It's possible to use the DVR with just one tuner, though.

#5 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:23 AM

hmmm they drop shipped this upgrade to you without sending a tech for 2nd DVR line install? shame on them, unless you specifically requested NOT to have a tech come out for it.
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#6 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:36 AM

As already pointed out, you'll need a second line ran to that room so you can use both tuners unless you are on a SWiM.

Now for the biggie. Since this isn't a like for like replacement of a bad receiver, but rather an upgrade, odds are that your commitment clock is going to get reset, as it should.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#7 OFFLINE   Caliking

Caliking

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the advise. I am not familiar with SWiM but I will look into it...What does it stand for?

Also, should I call and request a service to come out to add the second line?

I am not worried about my commitment being reset. I have been with D* since 2000 and have been very happy with my service since then. It seems I have always received the best possible deals whenever I call. I remember having a direct phone number to retention and when calling about deals I always stated where I heard what others were getting and I was always given the same deal, no questions asked. I have been very happy and I am sure it wont change.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the advise. I am not familiar with SWiM but I will look into it...What does it stand for?

Also, should I call and request a service to come out to add the second line?

I am not worried about my commitment being reset. I have been with D* since 2000 and have been very happy with my service since then. It seems I have always received the best possible deals whenever I call. I remember having a direct phone number to retention and when calling about deals I always stated where I heard what others were getting and I was always given the same deal, no questions asked. I have been very happy and I am sure it wont change.

SWiM is a single-wire multiswitch. Basically, it lets you use one cable to control a receiver that has two tuners (and normally would have required two cables). The SWiM can either be installed as the LNB for the dish itself or as a separate multiswitch connected to all 4 lines from the dish.

As for having a service tech come out, I would call DirecTV back up and see what the deal is with your order. Confirm that you are getting a HR2x receiver and not a H2x (DVR vs. non-DVR). In having a DVR sent out to you, it should have triggered a service tech for an install. Be aware though that installation, while many times free, can sometimes run between $50-100. The standard professional installation includes running a cable to the receiver via the outside of the house and through one exterior wall. Any additional work costs extra.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

I am not familiar with SWiM but I will look into it

Here is the DBSTalk First Look at the SWM ODU LNB