Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So I lost my HD DNS...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dirac

Dirac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

...but I am grandfathered in with SD DNS from both coasts. I've had DNS since August of 2003 when I was in a white area, and HD DNS since I added my first HR10 in late 2005 (I was in the LA DMA at this time so I think I fell under the O&O waiver). HD DNS didn't start showing up on my statement until early 2006. Eventually I lost the east coast HD DNS when they went to one DNS feed only for HD, but I was under the understanding I had HD DNS because of my SD DNS. But then, of course, a month or so ago I got the letter that since my locals are offered by DirecTV, I am no longer eligible for HD DNS. I have had HD locals for most of this time, though, so I'm not sure if I was just living on borrowed time or if I shouldn't have lost HD DNS due to my SD DNS status. Searching and reading seem to indicate that there are completely different rules for HD and SD, so I'm not sure what category the grandfather status puts me in.

My real question is if I can apply for HD waivers without putting my SD DNS at risk. I also couldn't find where to do this online--the links I had found to submit online waivers just take you to a blank "Local Channel Eligibility" page on DirecTV's website. I have also kept SD DNS through three moves, which in and of itself seems "lucky". The moves have also taken me in and out of HD local areas (one area turned on while I was there) and never back into a white area (not many left compared to the situation in 2003) so I may have just been dodging bullets this whole time but I'd still like to try to apply to get the HD DNS back.

Appreciate any info!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,122 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:57 PM

You said, "my locals are offered by DirecTV, I am no longer eligible for HD DNS." Seems like you've got them, so you can't get a waiver.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Dirac

Dirac

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:39 AM

I think that's what they're saying, but I've had HD DNS continuously since 2006 and I've had HD locals for most of that time. I first got HD DNS when I added my first HD receiver and just lost them last week. That is why I thought I was getting them because I also have SD DNS. Hope that clears up what I was trying to say.

And I thought you could get waivers (if approved by the affiliates) even if you had those affiliates' locals offered by DirecTV, but again maybe the SD and HD rules are different for that, too. Like I said, it wasn't a problem in LA but I think that was because both LA and NY affiliates were owned and operated by the corporate networks.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:43 AM

HD DNS doesn't work like SD DNS. You are not entitled no matter how you rationalize it. If they grant any waivers, consider yourself very, very fortunate.

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,710 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:14 AM

You can thank the FCC for these crazy DNS rules.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:47 AM

HD DNS doesn't work like SD DNS. You are not entitled no matter how you rationalize it. If they grant any waivers, consider yourself very, very fortunate.

he has a point. regardless, DNS waivers (SD or HD) cannot be submitted in any LiL market. Call a CSR and chuckle to yourself as he tries to submit a waiver for you and fails with a puzzled look on his face :D
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:42 AM

I think that's what they're saying, but I've had HD DNS continuously since 2006 and I've had HD locals for most of that time. I first got HD DNS when I added my first HD receiver and just lost them last week. That is why I thought I was getting them because I also have SD DNS. Hope that clears up what I was trying to say.

And I thought you could get waivers (if approved by the affiliates) even if you had those affiliates' locals offered by DirecTV, but again maybe the SD and HD rules are different for that, too. Like I said, it wasn't a problem in LA but I think that was because both LA and NY affiliates were owned and operated by the corporate networks.

You've got locals in HD, be thankful and leave it at that, i.e., don't push your luck.

#8 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

I'm in the same situation as the OP. We live in a "white area" and have had SD DNS (both coasts) since we got DirecTV in the late 1990s. We still have it. And we pay for it.

We had HD DNS from the almost the beginning of DirecTV offering it (2004). At first we got both coasts, then eventually lost our out-of-time-zone option. We lost the other DNS (East coast, for us) last year and went round and round with DirecTV about it at the time.

The FCC rules (SHEVRA) say that if you live in a white area and have local HD channels you can ALSO have DNS HD, but DirecTV has emphatically said they don't want to offer that to customers (they're not required to, they just can by law), even though they agree I'm legally entitled to the channels, and additionally we even have a specific waiver for CBS HD.

If you get your locals in HD you will not get HD DNS. End of story. (Or so I've been told anyway, again and again.)

I think the fact that DirecTV doesn't, and can't, charge for HD DNS makes them far, FAR less willing to offer it than the SD version which nets them $12+/month from us. Our SD DNS has never been threatened (though we now rarely watch it) and I'm guessing we won't lose it (and DirecTV won't lose that revenue) until/if they're forced to by a new federal law.

For reference, here is the full FCC text I was talking about ...

The FCC has stated in two different orders it has issued that certain subscribers who are "eligible" for HD DNS (that being that they live beyond a grade B signal as predicted by the Longley-Rice model or as determined after a signal test is completed at the subscriber's location) may continue to receive HD DNS even after local-into-local is offered by the satellite provider. Specifically, the FCC states:

"Section 339(a)(2)(D)(iii)(III) of the Act also requires that to be eligible for distant digital signals, subscribers must subscribe to the analog local-into-local package, where offered, and receive the analog signal of the network station affiliated with the same network, where available. For new local-into-local markets [after Dec. 8, 2004], subscribers receiving a distant digital signal of a network station can continue to receive that signal after a satellite carrier begins offering local-into-local digital signals in the market only if the subscriber also subscribes to the digital signal of the local station affiliated with the same network."

Edited by susanandmark, 09 November 2009 - 08:46 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

You can thank the FCC for these crazy DNS rules.

And your local cable operator lobby.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

And your local cable operator lobby.

It has much more to do with the NAB members (the stations themselves) enforcing their franchises.

The NCTA is fixated largely on avoiding any kind of government regulation of cable.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...