Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Shapes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:34 AM

I was wondering why there are difference dish shapes? Talking about the square and the rectangle dishes. Also seen some, I think they're in a hexagon shape? Why aren't all dishes round or oval?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:10 AM

With small antennas, I think the main reason is marketing. The gain of an antenna is determined by the reflector's surface area and its ability to efficiently reflect the signal to one focal point -- where the LNA or LNB is located. The shape doesn't matter.

One small antenna exception is the flat panel antenna. This antenna has no focal point and no LNA or LNB on an arm. Instead, the antenna's surface is embedded with many tiny antennas that add together. Changing the phase and amplitude of these signals determines the directionality (pointing) of the antenna. Flat panel antennas are often square or rectangular. I used to work for the company that invented the flat panel antenna.

As far as large antennas go, I have worked with hexagonal antennas that were built in such a way that the six panels were easy to transport and assemble in the field.

#3 OFFLINE   Ivtec

Ivtec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

With small antennas, I think the main reason is marketing. The gain of an antenna is determined by the reflector's surface area and its ability to efficiently reflect the signal to one focal point -- where the LNA or LNB is located. The shape doesn't matter.

One small antenna exception is the flat panel antenna. This antenna has no focal point and no LNA or LNB on an arm. Instead, the antenna's surface is embedded with many tiny antennas that add together. Changing the phase and amplitude of these signals determines the directionality (pointing) of the antenna. Flat panel antennas are often square or rectangular. I used to work for the company that invented the flat panel antenna.

As far as large antennas go, I have worked with hexagonal antennas that were built in such a way that the six panels were easy to transport and assemble in the field.

My freind can you please give me some good advice on this antenna that i aquire for AMC4 101W.I thought that it was 32 "round but i measured it and it has 32" tall and 30"wide,i'm trying to set it here in Mas area i got a Invacon Quad with linear and circular,get no sgnificant signal on the sat finder,on the elevation 33.some thing is not right,should i use more elevation, is the marks on this dish are not right?do i use the midle of the bolt to set the elevation on the mark?i apeciate your help, any help is well come,i don't want to spend any more money on thios proget as i already did, i'm fad up going up on the tall and danger roof.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

Spend another $20 for simple Satfinder !

spam firewall