Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FSN-NW Oregon HD fail

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Miggity

Miggity

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:02 PM

On Saturday Nov, 7th the Oregon/Stanford game was to be shown on FSNNorthwest here in Portland, OR. On the "real" FSNNW channel they were showing a Washington school's game instead.

On channel 688, which is apparently an FSNNW "alternate" they were showing the Oregon game but only in SD and it looked terrible! On channel 688-1 which is apparently an FSNNW-HD "alternate" they were showing nothing but a DirecTV logo and playing music.

Needless to say this was INFURIATING. If I had Comcast cable or Verizon Fios I could have watched the game in HD. If I lived in a different market I could have seen the game in HD since, FSNW and FSNAZ were showing the game in HD.

But here in OREGON we couldn't watch the Oregon game in HD on DirecTV. This is a major failure on the part of DirecTV. I was extremely unhappy about it and spent the entire first quarter on the phone with CSRs who couldnt do anything to fix it.

I tried to remain calm as I explained to two different CSRs and two different Techs the problem but they just didnt get it. They kept insisting it was blackout issues etc. NO. It wasnt. It was your bad.

:mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

They kept insisting it was blackout issues etc. NO. It wasnt. It was your bad.

:mad:

No offense, but how do you know it was NOT a blackout issue? Maybe FSNW or Oregon themselves didn't allow the HD feed into Oregon?
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:35 PM

You could have added the Sports Pack if you realllllly wanted it in HD since it was on a few FSNs in HD.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

You could have added the Sports Pack if you realllllly wanted it in HD since it was on a few FSNs in HD.

I think thats his point. Why was the game in HD everywhere but Oregon?

I understand there are limitations to HD feeds sometimes and some games end up being shot in SD, but as you note Sigma, it was in HD, so why wasn't it in HD on the HD alternate channel on DirecTV for that RSN region?

What kind of blackout rules black out HD feeds but not SD?

#5 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

What kind of blackout rules black out HD feeds but not SD?

See ESPN almost every week for college football.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#6 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

I don't think this was a blackout issue. I don't know if DirecTV was out of bandwidth from other games, but in this particular case, FSN Northwest territory was just split. The game wasn't blacked out anywhere.

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

I don't think this was a blackout issue. I don't know if DirecTV was out of bandwidth from other games, but in this particular case, FSN Northwest territory was just split. The game wasn't blacked out anywhere.

I'm betting this is right. If it was blacked out, 688-1 would have been blackedout, not a Directv slide. It seems Washington got priority.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

I'm betting this is right. If it was blacked out, 688-1 would have been blackedout, not a Directv slide. It seems Washington got priority.

Seems incomprehensible given the records of the Washington teams but not all that unusual. Oregon usually gets screwed by FSN during high school championships in favor of the Washington tournaments as well.

#9 OFFLINE   hyde76

hyde76

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

This was not a DTV problem. Last week, UCLA and Oregon had the same problem on FSNPT-HD in LA. Seems that the problem could be with the equipment being used in Corvalis. No HD at all and looked just terrible in SD. I was so worried this weekend since UCLA was again on Prime Ticket, the same channel that instead of risk it, I went to the game. When I got home, I was relieved to see the game was broadcast in proper and perfect HD.

#10 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

This was not a DTV problem. Last week, UCLA and Oregon had the same problem on FSNPT-HD in LA. Seems that the problem could be with the equipment being used in Corvalis. No HD at all and looked just terrible in SD. I was so worried this weekend since UCLA was again on Prime Ticket, the same channel that instead of risk it, I went to the game. When I got home, I was relieved to see the game was broadcast in proper and perfect HD.

That doesn't make any sense, since this past Saturday's game was on in HD on many RSNs, it was Stanford vs Oregon (not Oregon St.) and was played in Palo Alto.

#11 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

It's just what happens sometimes. Take a Red Wings game for example. If it gets bumped from FS Detroit to FSN Plus it won't be in HD, even if there is an HD feed on the away RSN. FSD doesn't do HD on FSN Plus. DirecTV can't show HD if the channel feed they get isn't in HD.

Not sure if it's the same thing but it sounds similar.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...