Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dan Patrick on 101

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

I'm really enjoying the DP show on the 101, and I'm a casual sports fan.

It looks great, and DirecTv does a good job. Another free perk from directv!
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tko

tko

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

I work out of my house and the DP show is my morning background 'noise'. It was pretty funny today when he tried to pull off the jumpers with Coach K on the phone.

#3 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:29 AM

Turns out DP has an awesome 14' "set shot". Coach K was very funny.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,867 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:56 AM

I record it every day, and play it back as I do household chores. It really makes the time fly, and can be very funny at times.

I loved Coach K's comment about DP "getting off the floor in 'stages'....too funny!

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   bigpuma

bigpuma

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:05 PM

I agree that it is great to get DP on the 101 but I would hardly call it free. My monthly bill from DirecTV is quite a bit higher than free. ;)
5LNB Dish (AT9) =>
DirecTV SWM 16 =>
HR22-100 (Main TV Room)
HR21-100 (Master Bedroom)
H23-600 (Office)

#6 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

I agree that it is great to get DP on the 101 but I would hardly call it free. My monthly bill from DirecTV is quite a bit higher than free. ;)

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

You know what he meant.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#7 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:22 AM

"Sources with knowledge of the deal say that beginning October 25, DirecTV's television simulcast of Patrick's popular radio show will be available on all Fox Sports Net regional sports networks, as well as DirecTV, Comcast and MSG RSNs."

"The deal would potentially put Patrick's show in around 85 million homes, and marks the first time a DirecTV original show has been sold into national syndication."

http://www.broadcast...cation_Deal.php

#8 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

Here is the offical release via Dan Patrick's Website. Interesting that most every CSN also signed up.....minus CSN California/Bay Area. Wonder if that will change, it sure will give DP a lot more exposure. My guess is most of the CSN's will be on board once the Comcast/NBC deal is done since DP also works for NBC. The only CSN that wouldn't be in the deal I can think of would be CSNNW with his show already being on FSNNW (DirecTV owned).

#9 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

No CSN Philly on that list either, not really surprising...
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#10 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

This is great for Dan Patrick's "brand" and possibly DirecTV's too (Depending on how much it continues to promote DirecTV programming.) However, it's another example why many of us view 26 HD RSNs as counting as 1 national HD channel and not separate national HD channels that just happen to carry all the same programming.

No CSN Philly on that list either, not really surprising...

Yeah, DirecTV would be idiotic to syndicate their programming to any channel that DirecTV isn't allowed to carry. It does bring up the interesting possibility that D* could use the 101 as a bargaining chip to gain programming. Friday Night Lights is on its last legs but they have a complete exclusive on Damages. If the skipped the free previews and focused slightly more on "exclusive" programming, the 101 would be very close to being an FX/USA type of channel that could be sold to competing providers. It would lose the DirecTV exclusiveness but it could help to keep Comcast/TimeWarner/etc. channels on the system as a trade off.

#11 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, DirecTV would be idiotic to syndicate their programming to any channel that DirecTV isn't allowed to carry.

But wouldn't it be financially smart to take the money?

#12 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

But wouldn't it be financially smart to take the money?

It's largely about Comcast and Philadelphia. Denying that market a filmed radio program isn't going to cost D* anything. Anything they can use as leverage to have better access to Philadelphia market is much more important, though it's extremely doubtful it will matter much in negotiations either way.

#13 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

Here is the offical release via Dan Patrick's Website. Interesting that most every CSN also signed up.....minus CSN California/Bay Area. Wonder if that will change, it sure will give DP a lot more exposure. My guess is most of the CSN's will be on board once the Comcast/NBC deal is done since DP also works for NBC. The only CSN that wouldn't be in the deal I can think of would be CSNNW with his show already being on FSNNW (DirecTV owned).

CSN Bay Area is part owned by fox.

But I don't want to see NBC take over CSN Chicago.

Any ways CSN Chicago does have some WGN / Tribune ties to it.

any ways the teams can just pull out and form a rsn with WGN / Tribune. WGN and WCIU do a good job with sports right now.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#14 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 783 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

DP proving he is bigger than the Mothership. I bet ESPN said a few choice expletives over this deal.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#15 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

CSN Bay Area is part owned by fox.

But I don't want to see NBC take over CSN Chicago.

The CSN network is part of the key in the deal with NBC they are hoping to tie those in with Vs and NBC to compete with ESPN/ABC. Fox has about a 20% ownership in CSNBA, 50% is owned by Comcast, and 30% by The SF Giants. This may change when the GS Warriors contract comes up next year, they are hoping to get a lot more out of it (new ownership is banking on it literally). CSNCA is mostly owned by Comcast I think the Maloofs (Sac Kings) and Oak A's may have a small interest. I would see the DP Show going on CSNCA, it would fill the 3 hrs before the Gary Radnich show....plus it would fit better there after Comcast and NBC become "1."

As for CSN Chicago, 20% I am pretty sure is owned by Comcast, I doubt you'd see that change unless one team got mad and wanted to go out on their own. When they started up CSN Chicago they worked out a deal with FOX to still use FSN programing to fill their schedule.

#16 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

The CSN network is part of the key in the deal with NBC they are hoping to tie those in with Vs and NBC to compete with ESPN/ABC. Fox has about a 20% ownership in CSNBA, 50% is owned by Comcast, and 30% by The SF Giants. This may change when the GS Warriors contract comes up next year, they are hoping to get a lot more out of it (new ownership is banking on it literally). CSNCA is mostly owned by Comcast I think the Maloofs (Sac Kings) and Oak A's may have a small interest. I would see the DP Show going on CSNCA, it would fill the 3 hrs before the Gary Radnich show....plus it would fit better there after Comcast and NBC become "1."

As for CSN Chicago, 20% I am pretty sure is owned by Comcast, I doubt you'd see that change unless one team got mad and wanted to go out on their own. When they started up CSN Chicago they worked out a deal with FOX to still use FSN programing to fill their schedule.

But with the nbc deal how will they feel about Chicago tribune live?

Games on WGN / WCIU?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#17 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:11 PM

As a HDTV geek, it will be interesting to see if there is any difference in quality between the 101 feed and my FS North feed on 668.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#18 OFFLINE   mattdreed

mattdreed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:53 PM

Since this is a general Dan Patrick thread, and not solely a syndication thread, I hope I'm not off-topic here.

Watching the DP show, and shots of the studio, it seems their TV monitors are showing a HD version of the sports mix channel. Has anyone noticed this? Though I don't watch the sports mix channel much, I imagine I would more if it were HD.

It could be that they've stretched the picture for the monitors, but it looks too good for that.

--MATT

#19 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:09 AM

Since this is a general Dan Patrick thread, and not solely a syndication thread, I hope I'm not off-topic here.

Watching the DP show, and shots of the studio, it seems their TV monitors are showing a HD version of the sports mix channel. Has anyone noticed this? Though I don't watch the sports mix channel much, I imagine I would more if it were HD.

It could be that they've stretched the picture for the monitors, but it looks too good for that.

--MATT

I notice this too and think they must be stretching it. I think the monitors are too far away to get a good evaluation of quality.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#20 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:33 AM

I'm pretty sure its stretched. For the amount of analysis that is done for the transponder data, we'd know if there was an HD feed. Heck, I think DirecTV used the sports mix TP during the last presidential election to have the news mix in HD for the night...
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

Protected By... spam firewall...And...