Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is DirecTV swapping out the AT9 for the AU9?

favorites

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

Is DirecTV swapping out the AT9 (sidecar)for the AU9?(Slimline) I was talking to the tech doing the Movers Connection™ install at my father in laws house and mentioned I have the AT9 . He told me that it should have be swapped out by now, and to call and they will change it for the AU9. Any truth to this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

Doubt they'd swap it out as long as it is functioning as it should.

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

Mine was swapped out when tech came out to retweek the dish and never worked with a AT-9 so he just replaced it with a AU-9. Other then that he never mentioned anything about a swapout program.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

Only if D* needs to come out for a service call and they find it bad as has been mentioned. My AT9 is still functioning perfectly and there would be no reason to swap it out unless there is an issue with it.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:19 AM

Officially, AT9s are supposed to be replaced whenever a tech encounters one in the field. That does NOT mean DirecTV is actively creating work orders just to replace these dishes, but if a tech is going to that house for some other reason, the dish is supposed to be replaced.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:38 AM

Battlezone is right. They won't repair an AT9 in the field, but they're not wandering around looking for AT9s to replace either.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:07 PM

So the consensus is not to bother calling for a swap out?

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

IF you don't have a problem with your AT9, why bother?

#9 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

I have an AT-9 and it seems to be working just fine. Why would D* be replacing them at all unless they had a specific problem?

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

So the consensus is not to bother calling for a swap out?

IS there something wrong with it?

#11 OFFLINE   FriscoJohnny

FriscoJohnny

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:20 PM

I have two DVRs:
HR20-700
HR21-200

HR21-200 stopped receiving any signal from the 99 and 103 positions (other birds were seen with no problem) after the summer software update. The HR20-700 had no problems with any of the birds.

I placed a service call for what I thought was a bad box. The tech that arrived stated that it was the dish. He swapped my sidecar dish for a Slimline 3, and both boxes were back in business.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:18 AM

So you prove our point, if something goes wrong with your AT9, they will swap it out. But they arent going to swap it out just for the heck of it. The service call would have to be for something else, not just to swap a dish out because someone wants it swapped out.

#13 OFFLINE   swillotter

swillotter

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

yes the side car dish would only be replaced if there is a problem with it as there are no lnb replacements available

#14 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

Again, DirecTV's policy is that AT9 dishes are supposed to be replaced *whenever they are encountered* by a tech. So, for example, if a tech shows up to replace a receiver (for an upgrade, or because the receiver died) or to add a receiver or pretty much for anything else, and there's an AT9 dish, it is supposed to be replaced with an AU9 "Slimline" dish.

BUT... DirecTV isn't booking appointments *just* to replace AT9 dishes if they are currently working.

#15 OFFLINE   sptrout

sptrout

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:43 PM

Again, DirecTV's policy is that AT9 dishes are supposed to be replaced *whenever they are encountered* by a tech. So, for example, if a tech shows up to replace a receiver (for an upgrade, or because the receiver died) or to add a receiver or pretty much for anything else, and there's an AT9 dish, it is supposed to be replaced with an AU9 "Slimline" dish.

BUT... DirecTV isn't booking appointments *just* to replace AT9 dishes if they are currently working.

Is this a new policy? I had an AT9 replaced about two months ago, but only after the tech changed-out everything including the LNB's. Only after replacing everything did he decide that the dish was the problem. It was apparently warped, but not so much as to be visible to the eye.

BTW - - The problem was mid-70's signal levels on all the transponders that are needed for HD. The other sat transponder levels were all fine.
Samsung HL-S6188 TV
Onkyo 805 AVR
Sony BDPS1000ES Blu-ray & Oppo 971 DVD Players
DTV HR22 DVR w/AM21
Infinity Beta 50's Front Speakers, C360 Center Speaker, and Beta 20's Surrounds
Hsu VTF MK 2 Subwoofer w/Turbo
APC J25 UPS

#16 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:49 PM

Is this a new policy? I had an AT9 replaced about two months ago, but only after the tech changed-out everything including the LNB's. Only after replacing everything did he decide that the dish was the problem. It was apparently warped, but not so much as to be visible to the eye.

BTW - - The problem was mid-70's signal levels on all the transponders that are needed for HD. The other sat transponder levels were all fine.

If your tech tried to put a Slimline (AU9) fitted LNB on a AT9, then it really wasn't going to work and he's an idiot and/or needs more training. While the focal points are close, they are not close enough for the LNBs to be interchanged like that.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

The policy is somewhere around a year old at this point. That doesn't mean that every tech is properly aware, or that every contractor and in-house tech is following the policy like they should.

#18 OFFLINE   bur1196

bur1196

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

Probably a dumb question, but what exactly is the difference between the AT9 and AU9?

#19 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

Probably a dumb question, but what exactly is the difference between the AT9 and AU9?

AT9 was the old "sidecar" dish. It was bigger than the AU9 Slimline dish, and had a funky lnb assembly, one main and one attached off to one side, hence the "sidecar" name.

Here's the AT9

Posted Image

..and the AU9

Posted Image

spam firewall