Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What happened to the tech chat?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:37 PM

See title.

Ken

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   butters

butters

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:54 PM

I don't see any mention of it here. Did it even air? I forgot to tune in.

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:00 PM

I saw it in the on-screen Guide last night, but didn't watch it.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

I skipped through it this morning. A new low in news. So I just posted this in the Charlie Chat Forum:

Tech Forum suggested watching the next Charlie Chat for information about the 922 release.:rolleyes:

And here's a complete list of other HD channels discussed in the Tech Forum:

Also posted in the 922 thread about no news.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:53 PM

Summary at http://www.dishuser.org/tech0911.php

The plan was to get it written last last night, but I used the time instead to get current with a couple of series going back to the end of last season. Feels better being off the razor-thin edge of capacity before shows get auto-erased.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:01 AM

By the way, that volume leveling change discussed in the chat sounds super swell, except the audio already is full of glitches. I didn't want to report on that until it appears on my 722 in the first quarter of next year when I expect to be reporting on more audio problems instead of having the old ones fixed. The volume thing can be handled by the user with a remote control, but I haven't found any way to hear lost audio in a bad data stream.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#7 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:45 AM

By the way, that volume leveling change discussed in the chat sounds super swell, except the audio already is full of glitches. I didn't want to report on that until it appears on my 722 in the first quarter of next year when I expect to be reporting on more audio problems instead of having the old ones fixed. The volume thing can be handled by the user with a remote control, but I haven't found any way to hear lost audio in a bad data stream.

Did they say if it would work on Dolby? I found an article saying SRS has developed a small unit to plug in between set top boxes and receivers. The problem is it only works on PCM. They are working on one for HDMI and another for multi-channel, ie; surround sound. And the change from PCM to Dolby and back again is a major problem. That in itself causes some commercials to boom when watching a channel that broadcasts programing in Dolby. Not all commercials are in Dolby so you get the jump. And it isn't restricted to commercials so if the Dish version only deals with PCM then big fail. I am, however looking forward the software showing up on my 622 next year. And if the Dish version doesn't deal with surround then may hap SRS will have their stand alone out soon.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#8 OFFLINE   bigshew

bigshew

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

I guess the other thing of interest to me in the tech chat was the 922 being able to web browse in PIP.
They showed a wireless keyboard for the 922. Does anyone know if that uses bluetooth or wifi?

#9 OFFLINE   frankv

frankv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

Anything about the release date? I'd read before that Nov 12 is it, but that appears to have changed.

The Tech Forum summary, under Dish Remote Access, mentions "Available on the 612, 622, 722, 722k." I take it that will include the 922 as well once it is released?

Regarding Sling, it is my understanding that there currently is no Sling Catcher that can receive HD-quality signals. Does this mean that there is no easy way to watch recorded content from the 922 on other TVs in the house (without using something like a HTPC)?

Frank
A potential Dish customer

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

I guess the other thing of interest to me in the tech chat was the 922 being able to web browse in PIP.
They showed a wireless keyboard for the 922. Does anyone know if that uses bluetooth or wifi?

Don't know... guess it could be capable of either or both. They did mention wireless monitors at CES too, but no mention of whether those were wifi or bluetooth either.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

I don't see any mention of it here. Did it even air? I forgot to tune in.

Scott wrote about the chat on Multichannel News today. I forgot about it too.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   kckucera

kckucera

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

Boba,
Thanks so much for the summary. I currently have 622s, do we know if the wireless connectivity on the 922 go beyond the power-line connectivity and be truely wireless this time? I have a whole house surge system that prevents use of any powerline system.
Thanks
Ken
2 Each Dish 622s (Software L6.14) Boot 1711 RBDB-N
Sat 500PP at 61.5 and Sat 1000.2 at 110/119/129
Unit 1 HDMI out to HDMI Panasonic AE700U to 96" screen via Gefen 2x1 HDMI Switcher (BetterCables HDMI cables)
also OPPO Digital DVD and NAD Reciever / Amp -- USB.2 500G SimpleTech External HD (working fine so far)
Unit 2 HDMI to DVI Sharp AQUIS 37" LCD 1080i with Samsug DVD and Sony STE 595 Receive/ Amp.
Other Dish Reciever 221 HDMIto DVI out to Samsung 56" RP-DLP

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:07 PM

Scott wrote about the chat on Multichannel News today. I forgot about it too.

Scott's review covers "the highlights" of the chat. He confirms what I understood but found hard to believe about the search function:

The 922 search not only searches within the satellite guide listings but also searches the expansive DishOnline VOD service as well.

Yeah, it searches your guide and it will also allow you to spend money with Dish.:grin:

About the release, he says:

And while the 922 was demonstrated last night on the Tech Chat no release date was announced for the product.

That's not what they said, but who's listening? Oh, I was! As I posted above:

Tech Forum suggested watching the next Charlie Chat for information about the 922 release.:rolleyes:

Scott still thinks it will be released before the end of the year. The next Charlie Chat is December 14, 2009. So it's too late for a good Christmas release. So I'd go with the proverbial Dish Network SOON.:rolleyes:

My AV Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

"Soon" sounds better than the old Amiga standby of "two more weeks". ;)

#15 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

So I'd go with the proverbial Dish Network SOON.:rolleyes:

What, for a device this awsome you don't think they'll speed it up and it will be PRETTY soon?:lol:
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#16 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

I hope the leveling works better than the one in my Denon AVR. Audio seems to loose dynamic range, never use it, use remote instead.

#17 OFFLINE   santoshphenomenal

santoshphenomenal

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hi,
I just wantd to ask

does 922 go beyond the power-line connectivity

?

#18 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

Don't know... guess it could be capable of either or both. They did mention wireless monitors at CES too, but no mention of whether those were wifi or bluetooth either.

Bluetooth doesn't have nearly enough bandwidth to support HD. It would have to be something like Wifi or Ultra Wide Band. I thought I remember reading back then that is was Wifi.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

Bluetooth doesn't have nearly enough bandwidth to support HD. It would have to be something like Wifi or Ultra Wide Band. I thought I remember reading back then that is was Wifi.

I agree... but I don't know if they ever said the wireless monitors would be capable of HD or not. Wouldn't surprise me if they were SD wireless monitors... since I thought they were something like 15-19" monitors I remember.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#20 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

I would never buy a wireless monitor. If I had the need for wireless, maybe a wireless box that you can connect to a monitor. No telling the quality of either device, particularly the monitor, and at least as separates, either one could be replaced with something better.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...