Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

directv renewal

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   twolfman

twolfman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:26 AM

I have been a directv cust. for 6 yrs, my 2yr comm is up with the hd service. I am thinking of switching to verizon fios. I love my dtv service but I like to know is directv willing to bargan to keep me as cust?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

There's only one way to find out and you know what that is! :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

If you love your service, why would you want to leave? :whatdidid

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:18 AM

First, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

I don't know what they'll offer you, if anything. It's based on a very complex formula that I don't know. You might also look at some of the recent threads about the DIRECTV shareholder conference calls to get a "temperature reading" on how they feel about keeping subscribers at any cost.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   twolfman

twolfman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:20 AM

I do love my service, but saving money is important. Verizon fios is now in my area and I sure they are offering deals to switch. I wanted to know is directv might be willing to do something to keep me. Has anybody dealt with dtv about this?

#6 OFFLINE   twolfman

twolfman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:23 AM

Thanks Stuart Sweet.

#7 OFFLINE   sponmd2

sponmd2

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:21 AM

Recently got a hddvr for free and 10 dollar month credit for one year. Plus Showtime and Starz for 3 months free. Just call and say cancel. My commitment was up, so this added 2 more years which is no big deal.

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

You guys might find this particular post interesting:

Also as noted in their quarterly call churn was up a bit mainly due to tightening up of retention credits. In other words, and they even mentioned this specifically, they are sick of people constantly calling up threatening to leave just to get credits. So they stopped doing that and let people leave. This increases churn.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

When you get prices from Verizon, make sure that you get all charges, not just programming costs. I have 3 HD DVR's. A similar setup with FiOS would end up costing a lot more than it does with DirecTV.

Even if you don't go with FiOS for TV, you might want to look at it for Internet/telephone. I love thier Internet/telephone service.

#10 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

Also, keep in mind that, IIRC, you will no longer be considered a "new customer" to DirecTV, so your switching doesn't mean you'll get a good deal to come back.

#11 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:13 PM

When you get prices from Verizon, make sure that you get all charges, not just programming costs. I have 3 HD DVR's. A similar setup with FiOS would end up costing a lot more than it does with DirecTV.

Even if you don't go with FiOS for TV, you might want to look at it for Internet/telephone. I love thier Internet/telephone service.

I agree, and that includes looking at any cable TV offeres as well, be sure your comparing apples to apples, example D* Flat DVR fee-Others FEE per box, D* HD Fee-others Digtal package fee.

#12 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:41 PM

I would also compare to how much your full-price D* service is to the full-price FiOS service...remember your promo discount with FiOS will run out eventually as well.

J

#13 OFFLINE   ColaSC

ColaSC

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

I actually did cancel on Tuesday, after Time Warner had finished their installation. Was switching off AT&T for internet as I could only get 1.5 mb DSL and TWC had 10mb RoadRunner. My commitment with DTV ended 10/14 so I was free. I had asked them previously for another HD DVR to go along with my HR20 and my owned HR10-250 tivo as the TV no longer gets many HD channels. They had wanted $199 + 2 years. When I cancelled, they offered the $10 a month for a year, plus free HD (another $10) and I could keep the free year of Showtime I had just received as an anniversary reward. I very politely cancelled and just said that the cable was already in, etc. Between yesterday and today, there were almost a dozen calls from DTV on the caller ID. I was home this morning and answered. They offered the previous deal, plus a $300 credit to come back. I was on the way out the door so I asked them to call back. Tonight, they again made the pitch and I said I'd do it if I could get another HD DVR thrown in. They wouldn't come all the way but did give it to me at $99, then added 6 months of Stars to the existing offer (1 year of showtime, $20 month credit for 1 year, + $300 on the account). They also told me that I should be able to disconnect the cable portion of the TWC package within 30 days without an ETF, but that if TWC did charge me to simply forward them a copy of that bill and they would post a credit to cover that amount. They'll be here Saturday morning to do the reinstallation. Honestly, after one day on the TWC 8300 HD Dvr, I was ready to leave. Horrible compared to the DTV HD DVR and not even in the ballpark of the Tivo HD. Now if DTV will just get the Tivo HDs back it will be darn near perfect. I just wanted to share what I had received from them as I was frankly shocked at how aggressive they were. I've had DTV for 9 years, with Total Choice Plus, HBO, DVR and HD - no sports packages or anything really expensive, maybe $100 per month. I figure they're coming up with around a $700 credit all in, plus any coverage if TWC does charge me (which I don't think they will). I'm happy to say the least.

#14 OFFLINE   itguy05

itguy05

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:20 PM

Also, keep in mind that, IIRC, you will no longer be considered a "new customer" to DirecTV, so your switching doesn't mean you'll get a good deal to come back.

Yes you will. We were with DirecTV until 2005 when we went to Comcast as we got a new HDTV and DTV's offerings were pathetic. In 2007 we came back and got the same new customer deals.

#15 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

Yes you will. We were with DirecTV until 2005 when we went to Comcast as we got a new HDTV and DTV's offerings were pathetic. In 2007 we came back and got the same new customer deals.

I think you have to be away from D* for 2 years before you can come back and get a "new customer" deal...

J

spam firewall