Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No extra fee for 2nd HD receiver?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   box986

box986

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

I just bought an H23 to replace one of my 2 non-HD receivers. D* customer service told me I would pay a $5 lease fee plus $10 HD fee but said there would be no extra fee when I replace my other old receiver with an HR23, just the $6 DVR charge. Is this correct or will I still incur the $5 additional receiver fee on top of all the other fees?

Also, will they charge another $5 if I keep one of the other old receivers active as my 3rd receiver?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

The lease fee is the same as the additional receiver fee. It's just called by a different name with leased receivers. And it only applies to the second and subsequent receivers. The $6 DVR fee is correct and it applies to all DVRs on the account.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,519 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

More to the point, the DVR fee is per household, not per DVR.

Replacing the second receiver will cost you the up-front lease fee and probably a 24 month extension of your programming commitment starting at the point that you make the switch.

#4 OFFLINE   box986

box986

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

The lease fee is the same as the additional receiver fee. It's just called by a different name with leased receivers. And it only applies to the second and subsequent receivers. The $6 DVR fee is correct and it applies to all DVRs on the account.

So the total extra monthly charge of replacing my 2 old receivers with one HD & one HD/DVR would be $16? Do they charge another $5 if I keep a third receiver activated?

#5 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

So the total extra monthly charge of replacing my 2 old receivers with one HD & one HD/DVR would be $16? Do they charge another $5 if I keep a third receiver?

Exactly.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

So the total extra monthly charge of replacing my 2 old receivers with one HD & one HD/DVR would be $16? Do they charge another $5 if I keep a third receiver activated?

Actually, going by the fees you listed that you are interested in, it would be $21.

$10 - HD service
$6 - DVR fee
$5 - 2nd recevier fee

Any additional receiver would be another $5/month. All of this is in addition to your monthly package.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:37 AM

That is correct, and as Merg states, any additional receiver beyond the two would cost an extra $5 per month each.

Actually, going by the fees you listed that you are interested in, it would be $16.

$10 - HD service
$6 - DVR fee

Any additional receiver would be another $5/month. All of this is in addition to your monthly package.

- Merg

Fixed your post. He already has two receivers, so is already paying the $5 for the second. If he stays at two, he would only be paying $16 more than he is now.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

The primary receiver doesn't get charged the lease fee. Each receiver after that does.

If you look at your bill online (not sure about the paper one) you'll see the lease fee charged to the primary receiver and then credited back...not sure why they do it that way. :scratchin

So, there should be one $6 DVR fee for as many DVRs as you fit in your house, one $10 HD access fee no matter how many HD receivers you have, and a $5 lease fee on all receivers except the primary (number of receivers minus one, times $5 gives you the total lease fees you should be paying).

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#9 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:03 AM

god, would hate to see that line item on Tibber's bill :) :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#10 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:36 AM

My bill doesn't have a charge and credit for the 1st receiver. Could that be because it is owned and not leased? 3 of my 4 are owned and I have 1 lease fee and 2 "additional receiver" fees listed.

If you look at your bill online (not sure about the paper one) you'll see the lease fee charged to the primary receiver and then credited back...not sure why they do it that way. :scratchin

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,519 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:03 AM

This is thought to be due to sales and/or property tax considerations. They "bundle" the fee, but they still have to collect the tax on the fee.

#12 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,960 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

This is thought to be due to sales and/or property tax considerations. They "bundle" the fee, but they still have to collect the tax on the fee.

Not necessarily, although it may vary by state (tax laws get complex). In my case there was a tax charge for the "leased receiver fee" on an additional receiver, but for the first there is no charge, credit or tax. An owned receiver wasn't taxed at all.

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

That is correct, and as Merg states, any additional receiver beyond the two would cost an extra $5 per month each.

Fixed your post. He already has two receivers, so is already paying the $5 for the second. If he stays at two, he would only be paying $16 more than he is now.

I was just pointing out that the 2nd recevier does incur the $5 fee as well.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#14 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:34 AM

Not necessarily, although it may vary by state (tax laws get complex). In my case there was a tax charge for the "leased receiver fee" on an additional receiver, but for the first there is no charge, credit or tax. An owned receiver wasn't taxed at all.

I believe the way the primary receiver is credited is based on taxes. In my case, sales/use taxes are charged on the full amount and then the credit comes after that. God forbid my local government should miss out on the taxes on that $5/month.

spam firewall