Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Could this kill DVD's & Blu-ray?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:03 AM

This bit of news from HDTV Magazine could effectively kill the DVD market:
http://www.hdtvmagaz...dvd_killers.php

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

I've heard this for awhile now.

This will work WHEN:

Real unlimited high quality broadband service becomes available and or Fiber to the Home (FTTH) becomes a reality for more than just a small percentage of us.

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   Shaqdan

Shaqdan

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

no

#4 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

I saw articles about a similar device for CDs back in the 90s. It was going to revolutionize record stores. They wouldn't have to keep any inventory at all, just a highspeed CD burner, color laser printer for cover art, and broadband internet access, back in the days when all of these things were very expensive, if available at all.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#5 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

I've heard this for awhile now.

This will work WHEN:

Real unlimited high quality broadband service becomes available and or Fiber to the Home (FTTH) becomes a reality for more than just a small percentage of us.

I think you may have misread the article. The only place that needs high speed internet is the kiosk, not the customer's home.

I saw articles about a similar device for CDs back in the 90s. It was going to revolutionize record stores. They wouldn't have to keep any inventory at all, just a highspeed CD burner, color laser printer for cover art, and broadband internet access, back in the days when all of these things were very expensive, if available at all.

And digital music players have all but killed CDs.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

It will change the DVD rental market, but not kill the DVD to own market.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

It will change the DVD rental market, but not kill the DVD to own market.

Cheers,
Tom

Agree.

Not new, and not likely for some time.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

And digital music players have all but killed CDs.

Actually, it was efficient compression codecs permitting a CD to be ripped into a file about a tenth as big as the raw audio. Then storage became inexpensive and physically small enough to make a digital music player a feasible device. Once there was a large enough user base, a market niche for selling the digital music directly developed.

But it all goes back to the codec. MP3 killed CDs, not the iPod. And MP4 will probably kill DVDs.

Edited by 4HiMarks, 12 November 2009 - 04:36 PM.
prediction added.

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

But it all goes back to the codec. MP3 killed CDs, not the iPod. And MP4 will probably kill DVDs.

Two entirely different markets.

People wanted more portability for their music and the MP3 allowed for smaller electronic devices that no longer had to be sized to play larger media.

To enjoy video you want bigger screens... and if you have a bigger screen, then there's no distinct advantage to having the smaller media to play it on.

Videos don't need to be as portable as music has needed to be for most people's desired method of enjoyment.

Sure, portable digital video players are popular... but not instead of a big screen TV... rather in addition to it.

I can see the digital copy gaining steam with purchase of media for home use... but not digital copy only.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

Oh jeez guys, it's semantics. The physical CD was killed by the ability to get that music digitally and put it directly on the device to play it. :rolleyes:

Much like this thread is discussing an article referring to whether the physical DVD/BRD will be killed by the ability to put that directly on the device that plays it.

The hair splitting room is down the hall to the left.

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

Oh jeez guys, it's semantics. The physical CD was killed by the ability to get that music digitally and put it directly on the device to play it. :rolleyes:

Much like this thread is discussing an article referring to whether the physical DVD/BRD will be killed by the ability to put that directly on the device that plays it.

The hair splitting room is down the hall to the left.

...and yet they are still selling millions of CD's....

Long live Blu Ray. :D

#12 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

+1 I love my Blu-Ray discs!

#13 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

http://www.dmwmedia....s-cd-sales-2012

DVD launched in 1995 and yet VHS lived on until just last year...

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

I think Tweeting and text messaging will kill the need for spoken language.

In the future people will no longer speak and will begin being born with additional fingers to enhance the typing process.

#15 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

I think Tweeting and text messaging will kill the need for spoken language.

In the future people will no longer speak and will begin being born with additional fingers to enhance the typing process.

Oh Stewart, now that's just silly. You KNOW it will be a Cerebral Wi-Fi implant that will "type" by thought alone. Finger typing? That is just SOOO last century.....:D

#16 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,984 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

Unless I can store the movies at the house, then it is not going to replace my dvds. How many terabyte drives will I need to store all those movies in HD?

#17 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

My van has a DVD player (the next might have a BD player, who knows.) Optical portability and delivery ain't dead. And likely won't be until they figure out how to let me play a digital copy anywhere I can today--including loaning out the copy to a friend or family member. Or take a BD to a movie watching party.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:00 PM

What *could* replace Blu ray in the near future could be SD-RAM type delivery.

If the prices on those come down, they could rival the 50GB Blu ray discs and be used to store the same already digital copy of movies... Prices are too high right now, but it would be smaller/easier to store and would still satisfy the physical copy that most of us want.

I could go that way if the future does... but I don't like the idea (don't like it already with music) of buying only a digital copy that I'm then responsible for storing somewhere that doesn't get erased or deleted... I take care of CDs/DVDs/Blu so they practically last forever... but any digital-only copy only lasts as long as your hard drive (or you have to keep backing it up) unless you burn it to a disc yourself... and if you burn it to a disc, you'd be better off buying it that way to begin with.

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

http://www.dmwmedia....s-cd-sales-2012

DVD launched in 1995 and yet VHS lived on until just last year...

Exactly - CD's will still be the "majority" media for another year or two over downloads...but like every other "tech advance"...it will phase out over time.

Right now...they still do sell alot of CD's - not everyone has bought into the download concept.

The same will likely hold true for DVD and Blu Ray media.

#20 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

My van has a DVD player (the next might have a BD player, who knows.) Optical portability and delivery ain't dead. And likely won't be until they figure out how to let me play a digital copy anywhere I can today--including loaning out the copy to a friend or family member. Or take a BD to a movie watching party.

This will happen once the industry is satisfied that each copy purchased is only being used in one place at one time. With physical discs that are "difficult" to copy, this satisfies that need. With a downloadable digital copy, for now, it seems the only way to handle this is by tying it to a single device. The solution to me seems quite simple. Just encode personally identifiable information about the purchaser into the digital copy. This way, if it gets copied, then the first generation owner can be identified and prosecuted. I know some downloadable software does this and it seems to work quite well.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...