Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LCD refreshing rate

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   roehrle

roehrle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

I read somewhere that there is a problem with the 120 & 240hz refreshing rate that causes a problem in the background when watching movies. Is this a seious problem ??
Does this feature eliminate the problem LCD's have watching sports ?? I'm trying to decide which way to go and it seems the background problem is causing me to be concerned about going LCD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:30 AM

I read somewhere that there is a problem with the 120 & 240hz refreshing rate that causes a problem in the background when watching movies. Is this a seious problem ??
Does this feature eliminate the problem LCD's have watching sports ?? I'm trying to decide which way to go and it seems the background problem is causing me to be concerned about going LCD.

Hi Roehrle,

I know you're new here, but what does this have to do with D*?

/c

Subscriber since Feb 2008
D* Receivers: HR21-700 w/1TB eSATA, HR24-100, HR21-700
Dish: Slimline + International@95 (w/SWM-16), Roof-mount
TV: 54" Panasonic G10 Plasma, 50" Panasonic ST30 Plasma, JVC 20" tube
Audio: Denon AVR1910
Speakers: Energy Take Classic x 7, BIC America H100 12" sub
Control: Home Theater Master MX-500
Place Shifting: Slingbox Pro-HD

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

It's a bit of a continuation of what this thread started. :)
http://www.dbstalk.c...283#post2273283
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

For answers to questions about LCD's, your better off checking the AVS forums [Link].
HR34-700, HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

Or, you could check out our HD Display forum, which is where I'm moving this conversation.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:19 AM

I think you are a bit confused over the 30 frames per second of broadcast TV and the 24fps of movies. If you were watching a 24fps movie (i.e via Blu-Ray) on a "normal" TV, it would need to do what is called 3:2 pulldown to Covent that to its native 30fps. With 120 and 240hz sets, they don't need to do any frame rate conversion because 24 is a factor of both 120 and 240. Of course the set has to be capable of doing that as does the source (likely Blu-Ray). Of course 30 is also a factor, so 120 and 240 simply make broadcast TV (sports) look smoother.

Regardless, not all TV's claiming 120 or 240hz speeds are going to display the best 30fps broadcast TV or 24fps movies. You'd really need to try them your for yourself.

#7 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:58 AM

and not all 120hz TVs handle 24fps content properly, some still do pulldown.

The marketing side of 120hz and 240hz comes more with technologies like Auto Motion Plus that actually create fake frames in between the actual frames. This is when you get the weird effect that some like and some dont.

It is also worth mentioning that many plasmas are advertised with 600hz, etc. But still only handle content at 60hz...thus removing the advantage of no pulldown with a good 120hz TV (there are plasmas that properly handle 24fps without pulldown though).
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#8 OFFLINE   mutelight

mutelight

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

and not all 120hz TVs handle 24fps content properly, some still do pulldown.

The marketing side of 120hz and 240hz comes more with technologies like Auto Motion Plus that actually create fake frames in between the actual frames. This is when you get the weird effect that some like and some dont.

It is also worth mentioning that many plasmas are advertised with 600hz, etc. But still only handle content at 60hz...thus removing the advantage of no pulldown with a good 120hz TV (there are plasmas that properly handle 24fps without pulldown though).

This is correct.

Essentially the reason that LCD manufacturers create 120hz and 240hz displays is in attempt to retain motion detail. For example, under motion some LCDs will only resolve 300-400 lines of resolution during motion. When you enable MCFI (Sony's MotionFlow or Samsung's AutoMotionPlus) this will introduce interpolate frames in order to maintain motion resolution, up to 1080. The side effect of that all that image processing will generate the soap opera effect. (It will give 24fps film content a cheap video look)
HR22-100 50" Panasonic V10 Plasma 1080p (networked)
HR22-100 108" Panasonic AE4000 1080p (networked)
H21-100 65" Panasonic VT30 (networked)

Sirius Stiletto 2 (Premium Web)
..::Main Theater Room Pictures::..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...