Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Communication service tax?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flaguy

flaguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

Does anyone know what in the world the "communication service tax" is all about? It just showed up on my November bill. I've never seen it before. Any ideas? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

Its a tax in Florida... this may explain it for you [link].
HR34-700, HR22-100

#3 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

I forget for sure, but I think Maine has a similar tax. would not be surprised to see all states doing it at some time :(
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#4 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

Florida is exceptionally high at about 13%.

#5 OFFLINE   Guardian

Guardian

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

Does anyone know what in the world the "communication service tax" is all about? It just showed up on my November bill. I've never seen it before. Any ideas? Thanks.

Thats the satellite tax you always see on D* programming that they try to fight :box: other states from getting :kickbutt:

#6 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

If the gov't can figure out how to tax you on something, they undoubtedly will.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

Yep;

It's a satellite tax for sure, and one that is totally wrong as states have no real legitimate basis for taxing satellite services since they require no right of way access over public terrestrial facilities to deliver service.

But cash strapped states are desperate for revenue especially in this sagging economy and politicians are grasping out at practically anything they can get their nasty little hands on for funds.

I mean please, a "communications tax?" What the #@!*&% is that supposed to mean! :mad:

#8 OFFLINE   ZBM2 ZAR3

ZBM2 ZAR3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

"I mean please, a "communications tax?" What the #@!*&% is that supposed to mean!"

It means just another avenue into citizens pockets.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

The cable companies wanted the tax as much as or more so than the govt. so they feel they are on a level playing field, but when it comes to offering the same channels, the cable companies are not interested in equality at all. How hypocritical and typical of them...

#10 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

Taxing satellite service is just wrong,many have no other choice and an antenna will never work in the far rural areas especially since the digital transition.

It's come to the point you can't watch TV without being squeezed for cash.:nono2:

#11 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

If Directv had not screwed every merchant they dealt with they would now have a chance of establishing some sort of resistance to this tax.

There is even a constitutional right to freedom of speech..."Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech or freedom of the press. . . " (from the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America.)

How is taxation not an abridgment of (satellite) speech?

But since they have chosen to conduct themselves as they have...and without breaking any laws.....let them call their own cab on this one!

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 12 November 2009 - 05:46 PM.
typo

#12 OFFLINE   meStevo

meStevo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

Hmm? Taxes don't prevent freedom of speech. Sending and receiving a satellite signal is a service being provided to us by a company, hence the tax.
stuff goes here.

#13 OFFLINE   flaguy

flaguy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

The cable companies wanted the tax as much as or more so than the govt. so they feel they are on a level playing field, but when it comes to offering the same channels, the cable companies are not interested in equality at all. How hypocritical and typical of them...

Thanks for all of the info, folks. I still can't figure if this tax is monthly or annually. It was not on my October bill, but it is on my November bill.

As far as the cable companies, after checking it out I see that they have the communications tax in Florida as well as satellite, BUT, they have a lower rate than satellite.

#14 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hmm? Taxes don't prevent freedom of speech. Sending and receiving a satellite signal is a service being provided to us by a company, hence the tax.

All true,

But every aspect of satellite service is taxed elsewhere. It becomes a double tax. And if you tax it enough the service will cease. Is there some tangible item not taxed elsewhere that is part of satellite service?

Joe

#15 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

Florida is exceptionally high at about 13%.

Here in CT the tax on my DirecTV bill is 11.7%. :(

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:51 PM

All true,

But every aspect of satellite service is taxed elsewhere. It becomes a double tax. And if you tax it enough the service will cease. Is there some tangible item not taxed elsewhere that is part of satellite service?

Joe

But what exactly is the basis of such a tax (assuming there actually is a genuine one)?

That a state owns the earth's atmosphere above it and may thereby charge for right of passage for the satellite radio waves passing through from space to earth?

What nonsense ... :nono2:

But then again if it made sense it wouldn't be politics I guess ... :icon_lame

#17 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:13 PM

[quote name='flaguy']Thanks for all of the info, folks. I still can't figure if this tax is monthly or annually. It was not on my October bill, but it is on my November bill.

Sad to say its monthly...
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#18 OFFLINE   MattWarner

MattWarner

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

I liked this story from 2001 when California tried to tax DirecTV's satellites:

From 2001:

NEW YORK - A California plan to levy property taxes on satellites orbiting in outer space has been shot down.

The far-out concept came up when the tax assessor for Los Angeles County, Calif. was doing a routine audit of Hughes Electronics, the $7 billion company that owns DirecTV, the country's largest satellite TV broadcaster. The eight satellites in question may be worth about $100 million each, but they happen to be situated 22,300 miles above the equator--far beyond California's earthly confines.

Repeat: old story, so you don't need to tell me that Hughes doesn't own DirecTV anymore. :)

#19 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

"I mean please, a "communications tax?" What the #@!*&% is that supposed to mean!"

It means just another avenue into citizens pockets.

And really who is communicating. Its a one way satellite communication. Sheesh. Thanks for posting this. I dont see my bill since its on autopay so nice to know what I was missing out on. :)

#20 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

On my bill, I have "Sales Tax" and "TN Satellite Programming Sales Tax". :(

If I'm not mistaken, it used to be called a "Satellite Luxury Tax" on my bill... or something to that effect.

Edited by Greg Alsobrook, 13 November 2009 - 05:15 PM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...