Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Communication service tax?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,914 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

Only my bill, I have "Sales Tax" and "TN Satellite Programming Sales Tax". :(

If I'm not mistaken, it used to be called a "Satellite Luxury Tax" on my bill... or something to that effect.

...because have cable is TV but satellite is a luxury

We used to dreeeeeam of having satellite TV. :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:06 PM

In NJ, DirecTV taxes only the $5 "lease" fee(s) and the protection plan. So it's 77cents/month for me. I'm sure that will change now that we have a new Gov. :)

It all depends on the state. Florida is the worst.

#23 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

But what exactly is the basis of such a tax (assuming there actually is a genuine one)?

That a state owns the earth's atmosphere above it and may thereby charge for right of passage for the satellite radio waves passing through from space to earth?

What nonsense ... :nono2:

But then again if it made sense it wouldn't be politics I guess ... :icon_lame

That is another way of stating the question,

Which elected officials think they can get away with it and why? Or why has Directv not found these politicians and addressed the issue under the table long before now.

It seems governments can tax users; use the roads and your fuel will be taxed to pay for them. Do things we don't like (mariajuana users) or do things that cause public damage (smokers & drinkers) and they will tax you. Your income will be taxed to redistribute wealth to help those unable or unwilling to earn their own and protect the place, etc.

This one seems outside what has already been taxed. The only obvious reason seems to be that politicians see money and want it.

What did I not state that explains this?

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 13 November 2009 - 10:15 AM.
typo

#24 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

Its a tax in Florida... this may explain it for you [link].

How come the internet isn't listed? That is communication, voip and the magic jack use it.

#25 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,914 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

In NJ, DirecTV taxes only the $5 "lease" fee(s) and the protection plan. So it's 77cents/month for me. I'm sure that will change now that we have a new Gov. :)

It all depends on the state. Florida is the worst.

77¢/month :eek2:

I guess I need to move back to Elizabeth. :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#26 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

LOL ..... you might want to reconsider that since NJ has the highest overall total taxes in the USA. You'll make up for the DirecTV sales tax savings real quick. :)

77¢/month :eek2:

I guess I need to move back to Elizabeth. :D

Mike

#27 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

Rest assured it's monthly.

Thanks for all of the info, folks. I still can't figure if this tax is monthly or annually. It was not on my October bill, but it is on my November bill.

As far as the cable companies, after checking it out I see that they have the communications tax in Florida as well as satellite, BUT, they have a lower rate than satellite.

#28 OFFLINE   Villager

Villager

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

Florida Tax

We've had this relatively high tax, roughly double the regular sales tax, for a number of years now. It was passed at the "request" of the cable companies to try to make the cost of using satellite services to be at least as much if not more than cable TV services. The argument was that since satellite companies had no local presence and therefore paid no local ad valorem taxes, nor sales taxes nor franchise fees, the satellite companies had an unfair advantage (and government was losing out of several revenue streams).

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

I liked this story from 2001 when California tried to tax DirecTV's satellites:

Repeat: old story, so you don't need to tell me that Hughes doesn't own DirecTV anymore. :)

I like the quip about the satellite catching fire myself.

#30 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,914 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

LOL ..... you might want to reconsider that since NJ has the highest overall total taxes in the USA. You'll make up for the DirecTV sales tax savings real quick. :)

In that case I'll stay where I am. :D

Mike

µß

#31 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:56 AM

Florida Tax

We've had this relatively high tax, roughly double the regular sales tax, for a number of years now. It was passed at the "request" of the cable companies to try to make the cost of using satellite services to be at least as much if not more than cable TV services. The argument was that since satellite companies had no local presence and therefore paid no local ad valorem taxes, nor sales taxes nor franchise fees, the satellite companies had an unfair advantage (and government was losing out of several revenue streams).

That is how it is supposed to work.......equal opportunity, that is. You find a better way and exploit it. Keep the money from the investment as a profit. How about raising the tax to compensate the satellite companies for their satellite fleet costs? Rockets ain't cheap ya know.

The term "unfair advantage" deserves more examination.

Joe

Protected By... spam firewall...And...