Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TV Apps: Webcams

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

I periodically check to see if they add an NHL TV App, but none so far. In case anyone is interested, I happened to notice an "EiffelTower" Webcam App that must be new, because I was download #10.
HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

They have now added several other live webcam feeds from Aruba to Yosemite.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

DIRECTV has enabled some new TV Apps with webcam views from around the world. Now is your opportunity to try them out.

So, what are Webcam TV Apps?
  • A collection of webcam views from various places around the world
  • There are 24 hours worth of images available and you can move forward and backward in time.
  • When behind real time, the playback can be faster than realtime (set via options)
  • The Webcam TV Apps can be full screen

To add them to your lineup, simply bring up the App Store in TV Apps
or, you can also go to http://tvapps.directv.com and login with your DIRECTV credentials.

They webcam apps should be under 'Just Added' and/or 'Cam Viewers'

Enjoy!
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   kw2957

kw2957

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

This sounds awesome! The future of TV Apps sounds promising!
My set-up:
RCA 52" HDTV D52W26; HR20-100
White-Westinghouse 21" SDTV; D10-300
Sylvania 15" SDTV; D10-300

*will eventually get better lol*

#5 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

Hmmm... I wonder if an app could be set up to show local traffic cams...

#6 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

Here is the current listing of webcams available from the App Store:

Yosemite Turtleback Dome

Yosemite National Park: Ahwahnee

Washington,D.C.

Venice,Italy

Egyptian Pyramids

St. Peter Square

Old Faithful

Mount St. Helens

Mount Rainier

Monte Carlo

Steve

#7 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

Like to try it, but TVApps have never worked for me.

#8 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

Like to try it, but TVApps have never worked for me.

What happens when you press the right arrow on the remote?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

Absolutely nothing. Edit: Power light on stb blinks.

The only time it ever worked it is when I tried it under CE way back before it was called TVapps.

#10 OFFLINE   uscboy

uscboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

Absolutely nothing. Edit: Power light on stb blinks.

Same here, HR20-700.
If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic...

#11 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:01 PM

I can add these TV Apps to my receivers, but the three Webcam apps I tried (Eiffel Tower, Washington DC, and Old Faithful) don't come up when I select them in the dock. The indicator on the screen spins for a while and then it says Not Available.

Other TV Apps seem to be working OK.

#12 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:00 AM

these are very cool
traffic viewers would be great!

D* Customer Since 1999

• Dish
  • Slimline-3 SWiM 16, 
    Familyroom
  • DirecTV HR44-700  
  • Panasonic 55" TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ DECA, CAT6, OTA
  • Nintendo Wii,
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray, CAT6
  • Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 CAT6,
  • Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
    Master Bedroom
  • DirecTV HR24-500 
  • Vizio 37" SV370XVT LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT6 - can I just take a moment to say how awesome this TV is
  • Sony BDP-BX3B Blu-Ray, CAT6
    Basement
  • Samsung 52" LNT5271 FX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
  • Sony PS3,
  • Denon AVR 2108, KEF C40
    Son's Room
  • Vizio 42" E3D420 VX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
    Network
  • Linksys EA4500 802.11N Gigabit router
  • 2 - D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit switches
  • DirecTV Home Cinema Connection
  • DirecTV GenieGo
  • ISP: Verizon FiOs Quantum 50/35
  • Dell Studio 540 Quad Core Q8200 64 Bit, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 8 gigs RAM, PlayOn
  • HP DV6-1243CLB Core 2 Duo T6600, 802.11N
  • 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 gigs RAM
  • Compaq Presario SR1650NX AMD 64, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 6 gigs RAM
  • Apple Mac Mini Intel processor, 802.11N
  • Snow Leopard, 2 gigs RAM
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPad 2
  • Both iOS 8.1
  • 3879075488.png

#13 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:35 AM

Add me to the list of people that have never seen the apps pop up on either box. I have one wired and the other wireless connected to the same router. That router a DLINK DIR-655.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#14 OFFLINE   jpx5

jpx5

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationCentral New Jersey

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

This is pretty cool, you can go into full screen mode as well.

Jeff
Sat - AU9-S

SWM16 broadbandDECA

Network Linksys WRT54GS
HR34-700, HR24-500, 2 HR24-100's
WHDVR

#15 OFFLINE   HCN3

HCN3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

Add me to the list of people frustrated about trying to get these to work. One of the main problems is that there is contradictory information in the forums on what is required or not and the LACK of official documentation on it from DirecTV is not helping.

I have tried the manual settings, port forwarding etc to get "network services" to start but always get a 301 error on it. Then I find the postings that say you do NOT need this to work to get TV Apps to work. So, which is it? Does Network Services need to work for TV Apps to work?

I have a wired connection to my receiver HR20-700 and can do any Video On Demand requests which work fine. The kids love getting Tom and Jerry when desired!

Anyway, I think there needs to be a spot on the DirecTV site which would have the official guide to the TV Apps and how to set it up. Their site doesn't have exactly what is needed to make this work.

#16 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

This is a really cool idea, traffic would be great just how do you figure out who's cams to add??? I'd like to see a cam in the Tahoe area added down the line, maybe the Squaw Valley Ubercam or something, but I would imagine you'd need to get approval for that. Maybe in the future we can add our own network cams???

#17 OFFLINE   GerryC

GerryC

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

Add me to the list of people frustrated about trying to get these to work. One of the main problems is that there is contradictory information in the forums on what is required or not and the LACK of official documentation on it from DirecTV is not helping.

I have tried the manual settings, port forwarding etc to get "network services" to start but always get a 301 error on it. Then I find the postings that say you do NOT need this to work to get TV Apps to work. So, which is it? Does Network Services need to work for TV Apps to work?

I have a wired connection to my receiver HR20-700 and can do any Video On Demand requests which work fine. The kids love getting Tom and Jerry when desired!

Anyway, I think there needs to be a spot on the DirecTV site which would have the official guide to the TV Apps and how to set it up. Their site doesn't have exactly what is needed to make this work.

I have a DIR-655 router and 3 HR22-100s and 1 HR20-700 (all with the latest update). TV Apps works on one of the HR22s but not on any of the other receivers. I receive the 301 error in Network Services on all 4 receivers. I tried all of the tricks, port forwarding, etc with no luck. The router currently does not forward any ports. I can change the IP address of the HR22 that works and the apps still work. I swapped the receivers around and the one that works still continues to get the apps regardless of where I put it. None of the other receivers work when placed where the one that gets the apps was (even after assigning the IP address of the one that works). I am far from being an expert on networking but I am really starting to think that it is the receivers themselves and not the router or the way the network is setup.

Slimeline,  SWM-16

1 HR44-500

1 HR20-100
2 HR22-100

#18 OFFLINE   HCN3

HCN3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

Well, I do know I have an extra layer of complication as I use Vonage and essentially have 2 router hops between the receiver and the Internet. However, I am pretty well versed in networking and configuring the devices so I am suprised that configuring the different pass through port requirements still does not seem to work.

I am not asking DirecTV to support all setups, just provide some better information on the protocols and port requirements for the function to work. At least confirm for us if STB Services need to work or not to successfully use TV Apps. If STB Services are required, provide some better guidelines on general network setup needed, open ports, NAT issues, etc to help us that know networking what to do to get the functionality to work.

#19 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,899 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

No, network services do not need to work. I have an HR20-700 and HR21-200 hardwired to my D-Link 825 eXtreme N router and TV Apps work as expected. I also have an HR20-100 at the other end of the house on a WET610N (N-Gaming Adapter), and just checked to see if TV Apps work there, and all is well.

Needed or not, I do have port forwarding set up on every HR box, and I have each of them assigned a Static IP, as well. All pass the normal network test, as well as the internet test. (Connected to Network, Connected to Internet)

I checked out the new Web-Cam apps and they work well here. They are an interesting novelty, but I'm not sure I see a functional use for them, unless they become more strategically located and widespread. I'm thinking of something like the Florida/Louisiana coast for hurricane season, a busy airport, etc. I'm sure there are many other "active" locations that could be sought out that are more interesting (to me), than watching grass grow or rocks sit, however pretty they might be.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#20 OFFLINE   R0am3r

R0am3r

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

Needed or not, I do have port forwarding set up on every HR box, and I have each of them assigned a Static IP, as well. All pass the normal network test, as well as the internet test. (Connected to Network, Connected to Internet)

What ports are you forwarding?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...