Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do all Slimline 5 LNBs mount the same?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vfr781rider

vfr781rider

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:42 AM

I need a replacement LNB for my Slimline 5 that was installed by D*. Looking at the ones on eBay, I'm not sure, but it seems the WNC ones have a different 'mount' than the one on my current dish. Do all of the Slimline 5 dishes have the same LNB mount or can they be different?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

Yes, their exterior appearance might be different but they all mount the same.
This was one of the goals of the slimline design.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#3 OFFLINE   vfr781rider

vfr781rider

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:53 AM

Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

Although I have seen a few reflectors that have a different hole pattern and the base unit had to be changed as well.

Overall however the AU-9's should be interchangable. The base mount have two different fine tuning layouts but either works the same.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

The original Ka/Ku dish was the AT9, also known as the "sidecar" or "backboard" dish. These abominations were made by 4 different companies, with LNBs and dish design unique to each company, and with "keys" on the LNBs in different places to ensure that LNBs weren't used with another brand of dish. From a support point of view, it was a disaster.

The Slimline design, the AU9, was far more standardized. Any Slimline can accept any Slimline LNB from any manufacturer, and the interface from the dish to the AZ/EL fine tuning mechanism is standard. However, unfortunately, the dish reflector, tilt, and LNB arm assemblies are still unique to each manufacturer and can't be interchanged. IMO, DirecTV really dropped the ball by not standardizing the entire dish design, so that parts could be interchanged between manufacturers, but that's a long-standing problem going back to the 18" "round" dishes.

#6 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

The original Ka/Ku dish was the AT9, also known as the "sidecar" or "backboard" dish. These abominations were made by 4 different companies, with LNBs and dish design unique to each company, and with "keys" on the LNBs in different places to ensure that LNBs weren't used with another brand of dish. From a support point of view, it was a disaster.

The Slimline design, the AU9, was far more standardized. Any Slimline can accept any Slimline LNB from any manufacturer, and the interface from the dish to the AZ/EL fine tuning mechanism is standard. However, unfortunately, the dish reflector, tilt, and LNB arm assemblies are still unique to each manufacturer and can't be interchanged. IMO, DirecTV really dropped the ball by not standardizing the entire dish design, so that parts could be interchanged between manufacturers, but that's a long-standing problem going back to the 18" "round" dishes.

+1

Also, I'd like to see a smaller design altogether. Those E* 1000.x dishes look like a dream compared to the slimline.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

+1

Also, I'd like to see a smaller design altogether. Those E* 1000.x dishes look like a dream compared to the slimline.

Smaller dishes = lower gain, which might be an issue for Ka-band (which Dish doesn't use).

spam firewall