Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can someone explain the logic of this weeks NFL's fines?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

Okay, so I am reading the stories about the three fines dished out this week
(Currently headlined on espn.com)

Ochocinco - $20k for his $1 offer to the ref
Jay Cutler - $20k for his verbal abuse/argument with a back judge
Harris - $7.5k for punching a player in the head, that he had pinned to the ground.

Now, Ochocinco's is probably higher then it should be because of his past actions and even though everyone knew it was a joke, the notion of bribing sports officials is just nothing to goof around with.

Cutler's if I recall the highlights correctly was arguing some calls that were not being made and his feeling that he was getting hit late through out the game. I don't recall him making any contact with the back judge.

Harris, we have all seen that replay many times he flat out full swing hit another player in the head and was ejected for it.

Out of those three, which is the WORST offense to the game and the NFL?

Cutler's isn't even close, as that goes on all game long from coaches and other players. It went on a little too much, and the officials called the penalty.

Did ANYONE out there think Ochocinco was doing that $1 bribe seriously? Or just more air time for his ego?

Harris was just out of control.

It just doesn't make sense.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

Harris-Should have been fined AND suspended
Ocho-Cinco-He was just goofing that said fine was justifiable.
Cutler-ALWAYS does that with the refs. He needs to calm his act as he is becoming (or maybe now) known as a cry-baby and this will just attract more bad attention his way with the refs and he will get no close calls. I hate to say it because I dislike the guy but he needs to be more like Tom Brady who while he does complain, he does so in a more subtle way, IMO.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#3 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:36 PM

I was quite surprised that Harris was not suspended.
Go Hoos!

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,086 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

What IS consistent is that the NFL is putting up with alot less of the "stuff" that has been overlooked in the past.

Clearly....the NFL is sending a loud and clear message that players will be held accountable for non-professional or dangerous behavior. That much is actually overdue IMHO.

The Cutler fine is probably overkill....but since I can't stand his whiny behavior and temper tandtrums...no sympathy from me. :D

Harris should have been suspended.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

What IS consistent is that the NFL is putting up with alot less of the "stuff" that has been overlooked in the past.

Clearly....the NFL is sending a loud and clear message that players will be held accountable for non-professional or dangerous behavior. That much is actually overdue IMHO.

The Cutler fine is probably overkill....but since I can't stand his whiny behavior and temper tandtrums...no sympathy from me. :D

Harris should have been suspended.

If they want to send messages, those fines need to get into the 6 digit range.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,086 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

If they want to send messages, those fines need to get into the 6 digit range.

You are likely correct...but some of these same folks have received more than one already this year...so the $$$ does add up.

Clearly this is chump change to most of these folks, but at least they know

1) They are being "watched" more carefully than in the past
2) They are being held more accountable for their actions
3) Repeated infractions will likely cost them more $$$ or even potentially suspensions as well

I think its a good thing overall - how they are executing things is perhaps more questionable.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...