Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS HD Response

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hello. I contacted my local PBS office to complain that Direct TV does not offer their services in HD. Here is the reponse I got.

"Thank you for contacting New Hampshire Public Television. We are sorry that you have been disappointed in not being able to view our programs in HD. I have learned from our Production Department that we do all the shooting and editing of our own local programs in HD. We do still have some programs that are not HD, and some programs coming from PBS may not be in HD. The problem may also be that not all cable companies choose to broadcast in HD. If that is the case, that would be an issue to discuss with Direct TV.

Again, thank you for contacting NHPTV, and for being a supporting member. It is thanks to people like you that we are able to broadcast fine quality programming that is the hallmark of NHPTV. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us."

Sincerely,

Alice

Alice

Viewer Services

New Hampshire Public Television

268 Mast Rd.

Durham, NH 03824

603-868-1100

themailbox@nhptv.org

NHPTV.org.

This seemed to be a pretty disappointing reponse, is there anything else I can do? I have tried to call Direct TV, but they have no idea when HD will be coming to the Boston MA, NH markets.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

:confused:

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#3 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:35 PM

I also contacted our local PBS station (WITF). They say they've tried to get D* to carry their HD signal but get no response from D*. I'd guess it's a capacity issue right now.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#4 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

Alice sounds like a real winner.

#5 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

Hopefully soon Directv will add your local PBS station. They are still adding PBS stations. I know how you feel. When my local channels came out in HD last January, UNC HD/PBS HD was not included, about 6 months later they added PBS HD along with another surprise, UNC KD. UNC TV's kids channel in SD. It shows in the guide... Ch 25 UNC and Ch 25.2 UNCKD.
So maybe soon they will add your PBS HD station.

Im still waiting for a CWHD and a MY Network TV HD. But these 2 channels in my market are sub channels of other stations and are not in HD.

#6 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:55 PM

We've had NBC, ABC, Fox, and CBS in HD for 3 years but no CW and no PBS. Neither is a subchannel in my market and both are OTA HD.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#7 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

I have had both of my pbs hd chs the spring i get ketc hd from st.louis mo & opt hd (kozk) and i allso get my cw hd kplr 11 st.louis,mo.

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

KBTC in Tacoma switched to HD this month. Hopefully Directv will add it soon. At least they have the SD version letterboxed instead of cropped.

#9 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

For what it's worth, I get PBS HD from New Jersey, Allentown, and Philly. That's THREE PBS channels that are all asking for D* bandwidth. Right now, only Philly has it.

Worst thing is that PBS doesn't have anything I want to see anymore. The last thing I watched, a John Fogarty concert was an unmitigated disaster wrapped around a weekly beg-a-thon. In my opinion, PBS is a waste of bandwidth.

Of course, I completely respect those who feel differently :)

#10 OFFLINE   PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts
  • LocationFrackville PA

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

PBS hd has been live in wilkes-barre market for a while now. Just wondering why some of the lager makets get pushed to back of line!

#11 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

PAGiantsFan - read my post... It's because the bigger markets have many PBS channels. Philly has 4 - 12, 23, 35 (PBS-Lite), and 39. That's a helluva lot of bandwidth.

#12 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

Aren't all markets that have PBS HD carrying the same national PBS HD feed? Here, we have 46-1 which is the national HD feed, then there's 46-2 which is our local SD feed and then 46-3 which is something called Create.

IMO, there should be a national PBS HD version like the network DNS (which there is/was for SD).
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#13 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:09 PM

Aren't all markets that have PBS HD carrying the same national PBS HD feed? Here, we have 46-1 which is the national HD feed, then there's 46-2 which is our local SD feed and then 46-3 which is something called Create.

IMO, there should be a national PBS HD version like the network DNS (which there is/was for SD).

No, a lot (I would venture to say the majority) of local PBS affiliates' HD subchannels are a local lineup that includes national programs, but doesn't necessarily mirror or carry all of the programming on the national HD feed.

#14 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

In our case the national HD is the main channel (-1). However, I have no way to really compare if it is the same as a national HD feed. From what little I've seen, none of the shows on -1 are locally produced.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#15 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

What we have here in Richmond, VA is one station that carries different shows most of the time on its 3 sub channels. Right now we are actually getting both the 23-1 and 23-2 via D* but not in hd. This station also has shows on channel 57 which D* also carries. I guess you could say we have an abundance of PBS in sd.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#16 ONLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:24 AM

Get an AM21. I get 3 PBS HD channels and their subchannels (Create, Kids, etc.) with mine.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#17 OFFLINE   doabbs

doabbs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

The worst thing is that we get both nhptv and wgbh but neither in HD. You should be able to get channel 11 ota with a decent antenna. It does stink to not get any NH locals in HD.
HR24
Slimline-3S
TC-P42S1

#18 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

The worst thing is that we get both nhptv and wgbh but neither in HD. You should be able to get channel 11 ota with a decent antenna. It does stink to not get any NH locals in HD.

Manchester NH Market. We have been waiting for NHPTV WGBH WSBK & WMUR in HD. Just last week the call letters on direct tv's program guide changed from BN 2 to WGBH/BN 9 to WMUR/BN 38 to WSBK, etc.

Seeing the change I thought for sure those SD stations would be changing to HD, but of course they didn't. Does anyone know why this was changed? Is HD coming soon to them?

#19 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

They have been doing that in several markets around the country over the past few months. In this particular case, it doesn't seem to be an indication that the channels will be available in HD soon.

#20 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

They are still the local feed. In my DMA, Bismarck-Minot, PBS is only SD for some reason and DirecTV crops it instead of taking the -2 feed that is letterboxed.

spam firewall