Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blu-ray downloads

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

I hope this fits in this forum. Is it possible to download Blu-ray movies via the internet using Netflix or BlockBuster? I was told this weekend that only SD versions can be sent via the net.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? So. Utah

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

Downloading a Blu-Ray movie via the internet, no, not possible it would take a very long time on even the fastest of connections.

Watching an HD version of the movie, Netflix does have some HD available for it's streaming services. It is magnitudes smaller then the SD offerings, but it is available.

Not sure about Blockbuster.

#3 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

I misstated my question. Are Blu-ray movies available via "streaming" not "downloads?
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#4 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:17 AM

I misstated my question. Are Blu-ray movies available via "streaming" not "downloads?

Again, no.

HD movies are available, but "Blu-Ray", no.

Blu-Ray level content is way to large to stream over the internet, practically.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:23 AM

thanks for the help
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

Again, no.

HD movies are available, but "Blu-Ray", no.

Blu-Ray level content is way to large to stream over the internet, practically.

I wouldn't say "to large": for streaming a size doesn't matter.

Perhaps you mean bit-rate level of BR movies is too high ( up to 40...50 Mbps) for streaming via Internet.

#7 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

I wouldn't say "to large": for streaming a size doesn't matter.

Perhaps you mean bit-rate level of BR movies is too high ( up to 40...50 Mbps) for streaming via Internet.

Yes, the bit-rate, makes the data size much larger, that makes internet streaming impractical for almost all residential broadband connections.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

Since it's real-time streaming, the size is irrelevant; only bandwidth is matter for it.

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:29 PM

Blu-Rays can sustain 40 Mb/s and have peaks of nearly 50 Mb/s.

A T1 line can only transfer 1.5 Mb/s (though uploads are just as fast), and super-high-speed fiber connections typically max out at 10 Mb/s continuous, with short bursts up to 20 Mb/s. On the low end, a cheap $20/month DSL connection is usually only 256 kb/s, or 0.25 Mb/s, for downloading, max.

And the movie portion of a Blu-Ray disc typically runs from 20-35 GB in size. That's a HUGE amount of data to transfer.

Finally, there's the copyright issues, and the fact that most Blu-Rays are not in the public domain, so it is against federal law to copy them, or even to break the encryption used to protect them.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

I know I've seen some 720p HD (iTunes) for download... but it's not at a high bitrate either. I don't recall ever seeing any high bitrate HD even at 720p available for streaming.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#11 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

NetFlix streams 720p to the Roku and other devices and is supposed to be working on 1080i; not quite BluRay though. And I'm a bit short of bandwidth on my DSL connection. It supposedly works very well on a 5MB or better connection.

#12 OFFLINE   DrPhyzx

DrPhyzx

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

A T1 line can only transfer 1.5 Mb/s (though uploads are just as fast), and super-high-speed fiber connections typically max out at 10 Mb/s continuous, with short bursts up to 20 Mb/s. On the low end, a cheap $20/month DSL connection is usually only 256 kb/s, or 0.25 Mb/s, for downloading, max.

And the movie portion of a Blu-Ray disc typically runs from 20-35 GB in size. That's a HUGE amount of data to transfer.

Finally, there's the copyright issues, and the fact that most Blu-Rays are not in the public domain, so it is against federal law to copy them, or even to break the encryption used to protect them.

T1? What year are you living in, 1994? Nobody thinks in those terms anymore... it's irrelevant since nobody uses T1 for anything anymore. Anything that was T1 15 years ago is fiber now.

$20/month DSL is usually at least 768 kb/s (e.g. att/yahoo dsl) and $40/month gets you 6Mb/s. I regularly test out at about 6.5 Mb/sec and my service costs less than $40/month. As for fiber optic, again... not sure what planet you are on but Verizon FIOS offers 50Mb/s and the theoretical limit is well above 1Gb/sec with standard, currently available technology for last mile delivery

If there was demand, we could all have service fast enough for streaming blu-ray right now. However, the demand isn't there (yet) and there are other infrastructure issues, as well. That said, Blu-ray is a sitting duck, and will sink into irrelevancy before the last nail, direct delivery of 1080, goes in the coffin.

BTW, OP, iTunes has 720p of many shows and movies and the quality is much better (less compression) than other services that deliver 720p "HD" online.

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

T1? What year are you living in, 1994? Nobody thinks in those terms anymore... it's irrelevant since nobody uses T1 for anything anymore. Anything that was T1 15 years ago is fiber now.

I'm well aware of what is available *in a few select areas*, but most folks I know don't have those speeds, or choose not to pay for them. Many people don't understand the difference between sending an email or browsing Amazon.com and downloading a Blu-Ray. Keep in mind that you're just over the hill from Silicon Valley (I'm from the Bay Area).

I have 16 Mb/s service, which is the fastest offered in my area by any provider, but it's expensive at >$100/month. I'm a geek, and Internet is of huge important to me, so I pay for it, and I use it, a lot. Most people don't/won't pay for those speeds at those prices. But it would still take me a day or two to download a Blu-Ray.

There are also 100,000 people within 20 miles of where I am right now who can't get any faster than 2 Mb/s from any provider, with most not even having 2 Mb. They won't be downloading any Blu-Rays anytime soon.

#14 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

We use T-1 at work. I know several companies using T-1 lines. We have no other options besides dial-up.
Good for you on your many internet access options.
Not everybody has them yet.

D* | 2ea HR24-500

#15 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

NetFlix streams 720p to the Roku and other devices and is supposed to be working on 1080i; not quite BluRay though. And I'm a bit short of bandwidth on my DSL connection. It supposedly works very well on a 5MB or better connection.

I have 3MB DSL and Netflix looks great on a 32" LCD 720P TV using the Roku box.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#16 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

Standard DSL is actually 768k to 1.5mb down. I pay $20/mo for 1.5/512 DSL and that is pretty standard of most providers with a bundle. I can also grab 10/1 service for $60/mo if I wanted to. Usually only extended reach DSL plans will be down in the 256k or 512k range.

Most cable is up to 10 or 15mb down for around $50/mo. Fiber is WAY faster than 10mb....FiOS is hitting 25/15 for $70/mo and 50/20 at around $140/mo. Yes, still WAY too slow for bluray, but much faster than what you are talking about. Most still have way more bandwidth than what they need to check email and surf the web, especially many cable customers where plans start at around 5mb down :lol:

I am talking from my experience with many customers, both in the cities and rural (I live in a very rural area). As well as just knowing most of the plans and tiers of the major ISPs.

Fiber has the potential to do much higher quality streaming, but it is in limited areas and the plans that support the huge download speeds are typically expensive.

T1 still is very standard in businesses for reasons besides speed (it really is not that fast at all at 1.5/1.5). T1 has many advantages for voice lines and the SLA contracts that can come along with it. Many ISPs will also support more advanced functions with only T1 lines. T3 is the bigger brother, but is VERY pricey on top of the already very pricey T1.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,597 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:27 PM

Blu-ray movies are only available on Blu-ray discs.

#18 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

Blu-ray movies are only available on Blu-ray discs.

Legally, at this point and time ;)

(just pointing that out as sometimes if you search for blu-ray downloads with google and such you end up getting links to the shady illegal underworld of the internet :eek2: )
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#19 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

Here's the link to Amazon.com. They may not be BluRay but they are HD. Blockbuster and Netflix both offer streaming HD movies. Instant HD: Amazon Video On Demand (Movies)

Posted Image

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#20 OFFLINE   BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:03 AM

I hope this fits in this forum. Is it possible to download Blu-ray movies via the internet using Netflix or BlockBuster? I was told this weekend that only SD versions can be sent via the net.

I always thought Blu-ray was a storage technology based optical media of one or more layers and a new laser.

Movies on Blu-ray are just high-definition movies stored on the Blu-ray optical media.

And while some of these movies may be available in HD through various providers, their catalogs are small, their Internet transport questionable, and the required access not trivial.

For instance, MPEG-2 based HD content can run 28-30 Mbps, and using better CODECs like h.264 can bring that down to about 8-9 Mbps, the idea of maintaining that level of internet bandwidth for the duration of a movie while those packets are treated no differently than someone else's Internet traffic makes the final solicitation diluted (IMO).

spam firewall