Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I bundle my DTV with Verizon?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:40 AM

I recently upgraded my Verizon phone and DSL to a bundle (that saves a little because long distance was starting to get expensive) While talking to a Verizon rep, she asked about TV, I said I had DirecTv. She then said due to my current DSL and phone package, I could also add my existing DirecTv account and save an additional $15/month.

The $15 is very tempting. I said I was worried about my grandfathered (Total Choice) package. She said nothing will change, but I still have the concern that I'll loose my grandfathered WGN (although for the savings, I could upgrade to choice+ to get WGN when baseball season starts, again, and still be saving $10)

I also wonder about 2 current, ongoing credits ($5/mo for another 10 months and another 4 months of my free Starz due to a billing error a few months back), would I loose those?

Does my DirecTv account remain my account (with "just" V paying) after bundling Or does this essentially give me a new account and I would have to worry about nothing transferring?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

I am pretty sure this starts a new two-year commitment. I don't mind bundling services from the same company, but I have never liked the idea of bundling among different companies - too much can go wrong.

#3 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

I am pretty sure this starts a new two-year commitment. I don't mind bundling services from the same company, but I have never liked the idea of bundling among different companies - too much can go wrong.

It's not like I plan to switch providers (D* since 99) so a commitment does not bother me if I am extending just to save $.

#4 OFFLINE   xrobmn

xrobmn

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

It's not like I plan to switch providers (D* since 99) so a commitment does not bother me if I am extending just to save $.

I do know when I bundled with a year or two back with Qwest, it did not (and does not) extend your committment.. unless you get some new hardware...

I don't mind the bundling. if there is a problem, Qwest will not hold it over your head if you have a problem with Directv (per their billing info, if you have a problem and do not pay the Directv portion, Qwest will nto disconnect your phone or DSL).. of course.. never had a problem and never had to harass anyone :)

#5 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

This may not answer your question directly, but it may add some background info to help you make your decision.

I'd been a Verizon customer for years when I decided to switch to D*. I called D* directly and had a bad experience with two installers, so I did not subscribe.

When my neighbor subscribed through Verizon, had a good install and told me about it, I also attempted to subscribe through them, but had another bad installer come to the house.

When I called Verizon about it, they were very helpful and somehow a great installer was sent and I've been happy ever since. (Could have been co-incidence or I got lucky, or they really helped me.)

Even more pertinent to your question is that after I signed up with them I had 4 things with them - home phone, cell phone, DSL and D*. With their one bill, I got a discount on all 4 plans.

Since then, however, I've switched to AT&T for my cell phone. It was no hassle at all to switch, and I still get discounts on my remaining 3 services with them.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

I have Verizon Cell phone service, can this be bundled with DirecTV, or it that only for home phone service?

#7 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

I had the same concerns about bundling with AT&T. When I finally did, it didn't effect any of the other discounts I was getting. So I was sorry I delayed it for a few months, because I missed out on the discount for nothing.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:29 PM

I have Verizon Cell phone service, can this be bundled with DirecTV, or it that only for home phone service?

It is a bundle using their home service.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

I did this about a year ago and get $6.00 credit from verizon for doing this ,no extended commitment or problems with billing. If you make any programming or hardware changes,directv handels the changes,verizon simply bills you for whatever info directy gives them, when you make any changes to your account.

#10 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:47 PM

Interesting. I have DirecTV through Verizon and only save $6/mo. I also was not able to move an existing account. It had to be a new account. This was several years ago and may have changed. However, if you can do it, it is worth it for the savings.

#11 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:06 PM

thanks for the replies, sounds good!

I, too, was suprised when the (sales?) rep said I could move my existing service and get a good deal. I chatted with a Verizon agent several months ago, and they said they really could not do anything on the deal side , but I guess there are better bundle deals afer you upgrade your phone and DSL..

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

Interestingly, I asked about this when I got FiOS internet and was told it was not available in my area. Perhaps that's because they have the full FiOS TV implementation here.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:01 PM

Fios is in my area & i bundle verizon internet/phone with directv & get an additional $6 off each month.
Did this almost 1 year ago....all my credits/services carried over with no problems.
Monthly bill is from verizon & directv is just tagged onto that total bill.

#14 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 812 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:31 PM

Do all of you one better, lol! I have FIOS Triple Play (Phone, Internet & FIOS TV) and have my Directv bill on the Verizon bill as well. So I get $6 discount for having D* on the bill with my FIOS Triple Play. Never had any issues!

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#15 OFFLINE   lee78221

lee78221

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:37 AM

Do all of you one better, lol! I have FIOS Triple Play (Phone, Internet & FIOS TV) and have my Directv bill on the Verizon bill as well. So I get $6 discount for having D* on the bill with my FIOS Triple Play. Never had any issues!

Why do you have both FIOS TV and DirecTV(And not just one)?

Speaking on topic, I would love to bundle my services with AT&T, but my city's DSL is way to slow for me(6Mbps down, 756Kbps up).

With Time warner I can get 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up.

#16 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 812 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:59 AM

Why do you have both FIOS TV and DirecTV(And not just one)?

Get all the HD I could want, plus I have FIOS TV as backup for when bad weather is in area and D* signal goes out.

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

spam firewall