Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Second Receiver in a Second House

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rarob

rarob

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

Does the secondary receiver have to be hooked up to the same antenna as the primary receiver? In other words, can I buy a second antenna for my cabin up north and use the secondary receiver there?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

"Can" or "may you" connect a receiver at a second location?
It can be done, but having two receivers active at two different locations is against the customer agreement.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

From the Customer Agreement:

"You agree to provide true and accurate information about the location of your receivers. If we detect that any receiver is not regularly connected to a land-based telephone line, we may investigate and, if it is determined that the receiver is not at the location identified on your account, we may disconnect the receiver or charge you the full programming subscription price for the receiver."

That said, I have never heard of DIRECTV actually investigating.

#4 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

Couldn't the OP do this and then when the cabin is being used, simply call directv and let them know that the box will be being used at another location?

Assuming of course that no one is using a receiver at the primary location, because if that was happening then of course, as has been pointed out, that would be a violation of the TOS agreement.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#5 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:24 PM

Couldn't the OP do this and then when the cabin is being used, simply call directv and let them know that the box will be being used at another location?

Assuming of course that no one is using a receiver at the primary location, because if that was happening then of course, as has been pointed out, that would be a violation of the TOS agreement.

Yes, it is okay to do it that way.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

The one issue to contend with there is that you need to move your receiver back and forth between the cabin and home. If the receivers are owned, you could activate and deactivate the receivers when you change your service address. If they are leased, you lose that option because as soon as you deactivate the receiver, DirecTV is going to want you to send it back.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

The one issue to contend with there is that you need to move your receiver back and forth between the cabin and home. If the receivers are owned, you could activate and deactivate the receivers when you change your service address. If they are leased, you lose that option because as soon as you deactivate the receiver, DirecTV is going to want you to send it back.

- Merg

I thought if you notified them of the change in location, the fact the equipment is leased wouldn't be an issue.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:03 PM

Yes, basically call DIRECTV and come clean, abide by your customer agreement and only use the equipment at one location at a time and you should be ok.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

I was pointing out what would happen to keep a receiver at the cabin and another at your house. You would want to deactivate the one you are not using. If it is a lease, when you deactivate it, you would need to send it back.

For your circumstance, I would not get another receiver for the cabin. Contact DirecTV and notify them of the subscriber address change and then just take the receiver from your home to the cabin. The good thing with that is you can then watch your recordings up at the cabin.

- Merg

#10 OFFLINE   rarob

rarob

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

Thanks to everyone for your answers.

I don't intend to violate any laws or agreements, but we can't be in both houses at the same time. That's why I was asking. I guess from the answers here that I'm not supposed to have the second receiver in a different house.

Again, thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:27 PM

You should be able to snowbird, but haul one receiver back and forth.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#12 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

You should be able to snowbird, but haul one receiver back and forth.

Why do you have to haul a receiver back and forth? Why not just pay the extra $5/month and leave the receiver at the cabin? That's the approach I take, and it seems much simpler. And I'll be damned if anyone could ever prove that I'm watching television in two different places at the same time.

#13 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:37 PM

Im seriously considering setting up my RV with an HD DVR, a DVR, and maybe a Std receiver. The prior 2 would stay on all the time, whether I'm using it as a guest house on the side of my yard, or if i'm traveling with it. Im trying to think of the policy ramifications of this setup.
DirecTV can't get on my case if its considered a guest house on the same property, and they can't get on my case if I'm traveling with it either.

But then I think, well what if my kids come to my house and watch TV while im on the road. Do I really need to have 2 accounts and prevent them from watching TV (or atleast turn off the receivers inside my home).

That means all the receivers I have would have to be owned (if I didnt want to haul them in and it), and even if I hauled them in and out, im talking about 2 or 3 receivers versus 8 receivers, so atleast 5 would have to be owned so I could turn them off without sending them back!

Then what if I dont go with HD in the RV? Now everytime I turn off the HD receiver either im paying for HD I dont get or I have to make sure the HD service is disconnected, then I have to make sure the HD service is reconnected when I get home.

I'd rather have a steady bill.

#14 OFFLINE   Lodi25

Lodi25

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:52 PM

Yes, it's against your TOS agreement. But as far as I know, you could have 5 receivers at 5 different locations (at the same time) and as long as you don't have the phone line hooked in, DirecTV really has know way of knowing where you are. But you didn't hear this from me! ;)

Also keep in mind you might not get your locals if your too far out of the LOCAL spot beam.

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:55 PM

I'm not positive, but you can have a special RV account with DirecTV. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but it might be that it is an add-on to your current account. Although I do believe I read another post here at one time that mentioned you have to set up the RV as its own account with its own subscription plan.

- Merg

#16 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

An RV account is a separate account. The main advantage of the RV account is you can get distant network service (LA or NY depending on where you are located) so that you get major network stations while travelling. The main disadvantage is that you pay for an additional account.

#17 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:57 PM

The receiver in my motor home is active all the time, D* has no idea where it is when I am using it, whether it is the barn or across the country, been that way for years. I leave the HD active all the time even though I don't have HD (yet) in the bus.

#18 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

We have a motorhome with two HD DVRs, but we called DirecTV and got a waiver to do so.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#19 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

An RV account is a separate account. The main advantage of the RV account is you can get distant network service (LA or NY depending on where you are located) so that you get major network stations while travelling. The main disadvantage is that you pay for an additional account.

How many people do you know with that kind of setup though?
I mean yes, if I lived out of my RV, I would definitely have an RV account, but I live out of my house. I use the RV as a guest room, or sometimes when I go out of town.
Do a large majority of customers have both accounts? I highly doubt it.

I am trying to consider the ethics of the whole situation...

#20 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:37 PM

We have a motorhome with two HD DVRs, but we called DirecTV and got a waiver to do so.

To have 2 HDDVRs in your motorhome? Why would you need a waiver to put receivers that you're leasing from DirecTV in a motorhome that you own?!?

Unless you're referring to DNS feeds...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...