Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Second Receiver in a Second House

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:51 PM

To have 2 HDDVRs in your motorhome? Why would you need a waiver to put receivers that you're leasing from DirecTV in a motorhome that you own?!?

I have a waiver from DirecTV to use two of my receivers in our motorhome. Why? Because I called them and asked them what is the correct way for me to have two of their DVRs in our motorhome that we travel in (quite a bit in fact).

A motorhome does not apply to their contract as stated (see the bold print above), so I called and asked how the process of having them in a home on wheels that we live in months at a time works.

Besides, it doesn't cost anything to fill out a form.

Edited by barryb, 18 November 2009 - 11:13 PM.

Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

I'm not positive, but you can have a special RV account with DirecTV. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but it might be that it is an add-on to your current account. Although I do believe I read another post here at one time that mentioned you have to set up the RV as its own account with its own subscription plan.

- Merg

I think there are 2 different rv plans one with mirroring and no DNS and one on it's own with DNS.

http://support.direc...C9odGlUa2tOag==

also I think you can use a Am21 in a rv and just have mirroring.

#23 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:24 PM

I have a waiver from DirecTV to use two of my receivers in our motorhome. Why? Because I called them and asked them what is the correct way for me to have two of their DVRs in our motorhome that we travel in (quite a bit in fact).

A motorhome does not apply to their contract as stated (see the bold print above), so I called and asked how the process of having them in a home on wheels that we live in months at a time works.

Besides, it doesn't cost anything to fill out a form.

Did you have to provide proof of existence/ownership along with the form? (Like a copy of a redacted title).
Who dealt with this? CRG? RV/DNS?

#24 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

Did you have to provide proof of existence/ownership along with the form? (Like a copy of a redacted title).

Yes.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question.
Barry
MY SETUP

#25 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:39 PM

Yes.

What did you provide?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question.

Who did you talk to to set this in motion? Did you talk to the cancellation department? Did you talk to the Distant Network Services/Recreational Vehicle/Commercial Vehicle Dept.?

#26 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:43 PM

What did you provide?

Copy of our RVs registration, per their request.

Who did you talk to to set this in motion? Did you talk to the cancellation department? Did you talk to the Distant Network Services/Recreational Vehicle/Commercial Vehicle Dept.?

I just called the main line at DirecTV. It's been awhile, so I don't recall getting switched to a special department. They mailed me the form, and I filled it out and returned it. The process was really painless.
Barry
MY SETUP

#27 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:48 PM

I have a waiver from DirecTV to use two of my receivers in our motorhome. Why? Because I called them and asked them what is the correct way for me to have two of *their* DVRs in our motorhome that we travel in (quite a bit in fact).

New Legitimate question (for anyones response really).
barryb's receivers are leased, so he got DirecTVs permission to take "their" receivers out of HIS home (the service address) and put them into his RV (which may or may not also be located at his service address at any given time). Now, in barryb's case I don't think he uses the RV receivers when he's home so this works really well.

Part 1: What if the receivers I put into MY motorhome were OWNED, not leased, so they're mine (worthless without service, but mine nonetheless). Do I still need DirecTVs permission to put equipment that I own in my motorhome? With full knowledge that I am using MY equipment to access THEIR service.

Part 2: I use the receivers in my motorhome in conjuction with the rest of my home setup. When I am at home, these receivers are used as guest room receivers. When I am away, these receivers are used as my primary viewing receivers.

So, most of the time, having 2 accounts would be illogical. Why should I have to have 2 accounts when the entire system is located at one service address?
Does that mean I now need to have 4 receivers in my RV? 2 for when im at home to use on my home bill, and 2 for when im on the road, to use with a seperate account that I am constantly suspending/unsuspending?

Does the suspension limit (2 per year, for no longer than 6 months) apply to RV accounts!?

EDIT:
Does this remind anyone else of not being able to make copies of Motion Pictures or Records that you paid for the license to use?

#28 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:53 PM

You will only need two accounts if you want all your DNS feeds (channels) while you are out and about. We used to have this, but it just got too expensive to feed both accounts. Sure, we could have suspended one account while using the other to get around this (per DirecTV), but we seemed to always have someone watching our house while we were away. It was nice while it lasted as we (legally) had ALL DNS feeds anywhere we where. East/West.. all of them.

An owned receiver is just that CJTE. I cannot see why DirecTV would care about units you own, other than any monthly fees for any service they provide.

I could have sworn they would give us more than 2 times per year on suspending once I explained the situation. Best to just call and get the facts from the people you give your hard earned money to.

1-800 DIRECTV.
Barry
MY SETUP

#29 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:56 PM

Also, we get enough channels to get by just fine. Sure, we loose out on things like SNL, but our antenna picks up the slack there.
Barry
MY SETUP

#30 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

An owned receiver is just that CJTE. I cannot see why DirecTV would care about units you own, other than any monthly fees for any service they provide.

I think I may have blown a point by you.
I am not worried about local channels/dns feeds. I pretty much stick to USA, hahaha.
The whole reason we are discussing this is because DirecTV wants all of the service they provide you to be at the service address listed on your account. If you are somewhere other than your service address, someone needs to pay for this alternative address which you're receiving service. Be it a camp ground, a hotel, or you in your RV in the middle of the dunes... You're not where your service address is and DirecTV doesn't like that and wants you to pay extra for it.
DirecTV doesnt care that you put leased receivers in your RV. Thats why they clearly state you can take receivers from in the home and move them back and forth.
They care that you're receiving service outside of your service address. Your waiver is DirecTVs implicit approval of you using equipment (yours, theirs, I dont think it matters) to receive THEIR service at a location other than your service address.
Yet, they dont require waivers for cabins.

Now, to make it even more aggravating, they very vaguely say:

You can move a receiver between your home and RV as needed.

Thats great. Thats what most people do, and thats ground thats understood, covered, and in the clear.
The vague part is:

You can also mirror a receiver to your home account by paying a $5.00/month mirroring fee.

I can mirror plenty of receivers to my home account... What are you implying I can do with my mirrored receivers, oh DirecTV.com FAQ... What is it that you imply? Are you saying that as long as I pay the "lease/add'l" (mirror) fee, that I can put home account receivers in my RV without an RV account? No matter where my RV is (atleast within the continental U.S.)??

http://support.direc...2lkL2h0aVRra05q

Vague.

#31 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:16 AM

Mirror as in "put the same services on all receivers"... I would imagine. I can honestly tell you that I DO NOT pay for such a service, so call me confused as well. When we find out the real answer on this "mirror" business we will both sleep better. I have a strange feeling this might be some sort of newer policy than the one that I singed up for (years ago), so I am going to call them tomorrow (its bed time for me), and get the real answer.

-----------------------------
I only mentioned the DNS feeds as it was part of my story. I am happy as a clam with my Premier Package that I get in my RV as well as home. We have a 45 foot Class A, so most of the time we are somewhere we will fit, and thats usually a place that gets OTA signals.

We do close to 20k miles a year, and love every minute of it.
Barry
MY SETUP

#32 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:23 AM

Mirror as in "put the same services on all receivers"... I would imagine. I can honestly tell you that I DO NOT pay for such a service, so call me confused as well. When we find out the real answer on this "mirror" business we will both sleep better. I have a strange feeling this might be some sort of newer policy than the one that I singed up for (years ago), so I am going to call them tomorrow (its bed time for me), and get the real answer.

I don't want to burst your bubble but the CSRs are gonna be one HELL of a lot more clueless about this then you and I.

-----------------------------
I only mentioned the DNS feeds as it was part of my story. I am happy as a clam with my Premier Package that I get in my RV as well as home. We have a 45 foot Class A, so most of the time we are somewhere we will fit, and thats usually a place that gets OTA signals.

We do close to 20k miles a year, and love every minute of it.

Daang. If I had your expense account I suppose I would be happy as a clam too! Do you have kids??

Best of the night to you. Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow.

#33 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

I don't want to burst your bubble but the CSRs are gonna be one HELL of a lot more clueless about this then you and I.

I consider myself lucky CJTE. 99% of the time I call I get exactly the answer I was looking for.

In this case:

DirecTV's website makes it a bit confusing. "Mirror fees" are the same fees that we already pay for. We have one main unit, and all the other units are mirrored with the same programs/packages. We see this (on our monthly bill) as our lease or mirror fee at $5 per month.

What they are saying here:
http://support.direc...2lkL2h0aVRra05q

Is just as simple as it reads. Being as I like to over-complicate everything, I called so someone could read it to me in plain English, and they did, and I get it.

Can I take a receiver from my home and put it in my RV?
Yes. You can move a receiver between your home and RV as needed. You can also mirror a receiver to your home account by paying a $5.00/month mirroring fee. Call Customer Care to do this.

The OTHER choice would be to have a seperate account just for your RV, and with a waiver, you could get all the DNS fees. Expensive, yes. You would have to pay for two separate accounts. This would not be "mirroring". This would be a separate account, and a great thing if you have the money to do so. We mirror.

Daang. If I had your expense account I suppose I would be happy as a clam too! Do you have kids??

Three kids in fact. One helps me run my company, one is a firefighter out of Oregon, and one lives at home. We travel for work, and we work a lot. :)

Bottom line: DirecTV spells it out in plain English right here:

Can I take a receiver from my home and put it in my RV?
Yes. You can move a receiver between your home and RV as needed.

(pasted directly from directv.com)

If anyone has questions about this.... just do what I did: call them. It's them you give your money to. ;)
Barry
MY SETUP

#34 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:07 AM

Getting back to the main topic of this thread...

You can clearly see the wording says "RV". It does not say "cabin", "second home" or any other fixed address. The contract says the contrary.

DirecTV knows I have a motorhome with two DVRs in it, and they say I can do that. The better portion of the year our motorhome sits in our driveway and makes a great guest house for family and friends.
Barry
MY SETUP

#35 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:53 PM

An RV account is a separate account. The main advantage of the RV account is you can get distant network service (LA or NY depending on where you are located) so that you get major network stations while travelling. The main disadvantage is that you pay for an additional account.

That's right. And for folks without an RV getting ideas about asking for this to get distant network service, you need to supply DirecTV a copy of your RV vehicle registration before they will activate such an account.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#36 OFFLINE   bukzin

bukzin

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

I see this thread is old.

Does anyone know if there have been updates or policy
changes regarding these cabin/RV issues?

Thanks

#37 OFFLINE   jclangston

jclangston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

I see this thread is old.

Does anyone know if there have been updates or policy
changes regarding these cabin/RV issues?

Thanks

No updates that I know of, but like some people said if you don't plug in the phone line DirecTv has no way of knowing where the receiver is located. The only problem could be receiving local channels. If your "cabin" is located outside the spot beam area for your designated locals you won't receive them.

#38 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

You can have two sets of equipment at 2 diff locations on one account, you just can't actively watch them both at the same time and you must inform DirecTV where you will be watching the TV at any given time so they can update the physical address where services should be provided. You can temporarily deactivate receivers unders "Seasonal/Vacation" without having to return them to DirecTV.

#39 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

This thread just has me rolling on the ground laughing ! :sure:
Watch out for those TV police LOL

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#40 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

You can have two sets of equipment at 2 diff locations on one account, you just can't actively watch them both at the same time and you must inform DirecTV where you will be watching the TV at any given time so they can update the physical address where services should be provided. You can temporarily deactivate receivers unders "Seasonal/Vacation" without having to return them to DirecTV.

Technically incorrect on both counts. You're not supposed to have equipment active at more than one account at any given time. The point is to prevent theft from one account providing the neighborhood with television. With that being said, it is ethical to have more than one location active as long as you are not stealing programming but per D* agreement, you would be in breach.

Receivers leased to D* must go back if they are deactivated unless, of course, D* no longer requires the receiver to go back(mostly non-SWM compatable receivers).

spam firewall