Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson, ND

hr10-250 b band tivo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

DMA: Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson, ND
Established: 11/18/2009

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:20 AM

My parents live in Minot. The three network feeds offered are from Bismark (100 miles south) This area is s sparsely populated, that the entire western half of the state is considered one DMA.

So my patents have a HR20 (built in OTA) and a HR24 w/ AM21 connected to a massive attic antenna for locals. Not only do they get 4 PBS channels, but also FOX, ABC, NBC and CBS in HD. While here to visit, I was shocked that local CBS has local news in hd. Not bad for a city of 40,000! I wonder if any smaller town has HD locals? (towns, not DMAs.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#3 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Is there any particular reason why the Fox affiliate isn't carried? Is it a dispute with the owner?

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:41 AM

Is there any particular reason why the Fox affiliate isn't carried? Is it a dispute with the owner?

Fox tried to extort money from all their affiliates, and several dropped the network in protest, maybe yours was one of them.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

I realize the locals in this DMA all come from Bismarck, and doesn't include FOX. I'm looking for feedback from "locals" subscribers outside of Bismarck. Do you have OTA available for a backup or local emergencies?

I recently moved back to my hometown of Minot from Minneapolis. Before moving to Minneapolis after college 16 years ago, I had worked for KMOT(NBC). Coming back, not a lot has changed. There is more emphasis on regional news, probably because of the DMA and more of the anchors and stories come from Bismarck. Not as much truly local coverage.

The other thing that hasn't changed is that the only other "local" newscast (CBS) still wipes the floor with us in the ratings. They do a much better job of hometown coverage. They're in HD, and they have an experienced news team that have been here for years, they know the area and the people. It was especially apparent during the Souris River flood last summer.

We even got beat by reruns of Married with Children on the ABC station! :)
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#6 OFFLINE   bubbacummins

bubbacummins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Recently moved up to Bismarck from the Houston area and just within the last week finally got all my a/v gear hooked up, issue I'm noticing is on KFYR 5 I'm only getting Dolby D in a 2.0 format rather than a true 5.1. Is this all the NBC affiliate is broadcasting up here or is it a Dtv feed issue. I'd rather not have to set up an OTA antenna to get the full audio feed if it is a Dtv issue.

#7 OFFLINE   slatham

slatham

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

This is probably a little late but they broadcast 2.0. Go to rabbitears.info for information on all local HD.

#8 OFFLINE   bubbacummins

bubbacummins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the site reference, seems like all the stations up here except FOX are in the stone age as far as audio feeds :(

#9 OFFLINE   bubbacummins

bubbacummins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Just noticed today that Dtv is now carrying Fox up here in Bismarck, anyone have any info on the addition finally?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Protected By... spam firewall...And...