Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kudos to DirecTV Customer Retention

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Riot Nrrrd™

Riot Nrrrd™

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

I know forums like ours can often be a place of anger and resentment but I just wanted to offer an opposing point of view.

I recently became entangled with that 3-letter part of our Gov't. that we all love so well come mid April. It has resulted in serious financial hardship overnight for me and I called DirecTV today to see about shutting off my service entirely, or at least putting it into "Suspended" mode. It turns out my contract isn't up until February so turning off the service would've made things worse. I knew that re-establishing service would be a b*tch due to paperwork and the credit hit I'm going to take because of this situation, so I was hoping to avoid it if possible.

They looked at my account and my long history with them and not being late on any payments (auto-pay via CC) and offered me several things to help me get through this hopefully-temporary financial crisis I'm in. I was impressed that they - or this CSR, at least - would go the extra mile to, as the old Bugs Bunny cartoon once said, "help a fellow American who's down on his luck". :angel:

So, we may complain that customer loyalty isn't what it was, or that the package offered was "too little", but in this particular case, they went the extra mile and I'm very humbled and appreciative of their concern.

A tip 'o' the hat in DirecTV's general direction. :joy: :goodjob:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

Sorry to hear about your situation, but am happy that DIRECTV worked with you on it.

#3 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,041 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

Glad to hear they helped you out. Good luck on getting back on level ground.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#4 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

I'm glad to hear that they went the extra mile for you!

And good luck on the other matter. Having dealt with that branch recently, I know that you are in for a headache, even if things work out in your favor. Meticulous reading of the documents they send, and following the instructions to the letter are the only way to get through this time with your sanity in tact.
DogLover

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Chilcoot

Chilcoot

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

I too am glad Directv was accommodating towards you, sounds like you're a good customer. And as someone who pays all taxes on time and in full, I hope you pay every cent you owe (and no more), plus whatever additional costs the government incurs to extract your payment, plus whatever fine is just to discourage any future non-conformity, if indeed that's what put you in your mess. Good on Directv!

#6 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

I was laid off in June and cancelled by subscription to D after being with them since 1995. I canceled the service in the begining of September and they tried everyhting to keep me as a customer. I had the triple play in the house with the internet and the telephone. So i couldn't afford to have both so I went with cable and explained ot the CSR that I just didn;t want to leave but with only unemployment coming in I had to start cutting expenses to make savings and unemployment last as long as It could until I got a new position. I told the CSR as soon as I got a job and got some savings again that I would be back. After being unemployed for 3 months I got a break and got a new postion.

I called D and gave them the information and they hooked me back up with a great deal.

TO the OP All I can say is hang in there. Do a lot of networking, keep in contact with all your old friends and search the job boards. Most of all remember that it is not your fault. While I was out I started reading a book called "Quiet Strength" by Tony Dungy. He folows the premis that when something bad happens new doors and opportunities open for you.

Good Luck

Edited by eandras, 19 November 2009 - 08:27 PM.

"If to be right is to be different by all means be different"

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,016 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

I too am glad Directv was accommodating towards you, sounds like you're a good customer. And as someone who pays all taxes on time and in full, I hope you pay every cent you owe (and no more), plus whatever additional costs the government incurs to extract your payment, plus whatever fine is just to discourage any future non-conformity, if indeed that's what put you in your mess. Good on Directv!

Might have been a better thought then a post.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#8 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,016 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

Glad to hear they helped you out. Good luck on getting back on level ground.

I agree, good luck.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#9 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

You know, the tax code is extremely complex. Not everyone gets to pay a simple 28%. For example, my tax returns (yes, I do multiples) are around 20 to 30 pages each. I cringe every year when I do them because I am so afraid I've made some simple, honest mistake that will come back to bit me. But I'm happy that you have it all figured out.

spam firewall