Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sound Bar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sb40

sb40

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

I'm thinking about a sound bar for easy ss.

Does anyone have one, what kind, good or bad idea?

Thanks
HR20
100/700

Miele The BEST Vacuum you can buy.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

The Polk and Atlantic Technology ones are pretty nice. They dont have a built in amp like the Yamaha (they are just speakers that you connect your own amp to), but overall seem very good for what they are.

Not going to be as good as higher end separates, but for the right space a good compromise.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

One of the posters in this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=168243 seems very happy with his new Vizio. I read some reviews and for a sound bar it might do. I say that having just removed a Polk 42 that I put up with for a couple of years. As I said in that thread I got it because she said "those speakers are ugly". Well, after I put the "ugly" speakers back in and she heard the real surround sound she's okay with "ugly". Plus the sound seems to have more clarity and crispness. We aren't using the CC nearly as often now for our 71 year old ears. And we do have more programs with surround than when I got the Polk. Plus the new BluRay dingus I got recently. I use a Rocketfish wireless thingie for the rears so there's no wire from the A/V to the back wall. Just between the rears and the Rocketfish receiver on the back wall.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#4 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

One of the posters in this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=168243 seems very happy with his new Vizio. I read some reviews and for a sound bar it might do. I say that having just removed a Polk 42 that I put up with for a couple of years. As I said in that thread I got it because she said "those speakers are ugly". Well, after I put the "ugly" speakers back in and she heard the real surround sound she's okay with "ugly". Plus the sound seems to have more clarity and crispness. We aren't using the CC nearly as often now for our 71 year old ears. And we do have more programs with surround than when I got the Polk. Plus the new BluRay dingus I got recently. I use a Rocketfish wireless thingie for the rears so there's no wire from the A/V to the back wall. Just between the rears and the Rocketfish receiver on the back wall.

I assume you got a sub-thingamabob hooked up to your whatchamacallit, right? :D

#5 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

I assume you got a sub-thingamabob hooked up to your whatchamacallit, right? :D

Yeah buddy. 15" Cerwin -Vega window rattler. Gots me some thunder and loud when the splodey stuff is goin' on :lol:

#6 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

The Atlantic Technology soundbar is one of the best I have heard...hard to find on the open market though as they are mostly dealer only.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#7 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:22 AM

I'm tempted to go with either the Sharp HT-SB300 or HT-SB200 after the holidays. Trouble is I'm confused on how they hook up to the TV. Both have RCA outputs as well as digital audio outs so would I have to use both or either/or.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#8 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

I'm tempted to go with either the Sharp HT-SB300 or HT-SB200 after the holidays. Trouble is I'm confused on how they hook up to the TV. Both have RCA outputs as well as digital audio outs so would I have to use both or either/or.

They have RCA and Optical/Coax digital inputs. You use either/or. You didn't say which Dish box but the 622 has both outputs.

And here's a review for you in case you haven't read it. Looks interesting. Sharp HT-SB300 Sound Bar System: Review by Chris Chiarella on BigPictureBigSound

#9 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

They have RCA and Optical/Coax digital inputs. You use either/or. You didn't say which Dish box but the 622 has both outputs.

And here's a review for you in case you haven't read it. Looks interesting. Sharp HT-SB300 Sound Bar System: Review by Chris Chiarella on BigPictureBigSound

I have Directv's HR20-100 box hooked up by HDMI so I'm thinking I would hook one of these up to my TV using the Optical/Coax digital inputs. I actually saw that review early this morning before I went to bed but that was at 5am so I'm looking at it again. :D. Actually I saw somewhere else that Sharp is actually coming out with another model sometime in December so I may hold off to see what that one looks like. Thanks for helping me with my confusion!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

spam firewall