Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Contract Free... What should I do?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thequackdaddy

thequackdaddy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

Hi!

Here's my situation... I got home yesterday and my DirecTV system would not work. I called customer service to see what the deal is... After the typical stupid questions, (Did you reset the receiver? Did you unplug the B-Band converter? Did you rub your belly while patting your head?) the tech decided that he needed to send out a technician... for the low, low price of $45.

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of DirecTV. Its quite expensive at about $71 + tax ... I feel like it is really only worth $50 or so...

But, I also realized that my contract expires tomorrow.

So here's my thinking... what the best deal that I could possibly squeeze out of the retention department when I call to cancel tomorrow? I figure that since I'm contract free and could just cancel DirecTV and and sign back up, I should AT LEAST get what they are offering new customers.

I am both a Costco member and have an American Express Blue Cash card. From what I can tell, that means I should be able to get the $45 service fee waived, $200 (I have a blue card from American Express), a free HD DVR upgrade, and $35 + $10 + $6 a month HD DVR service for a year. Is there anything else you think I could squeeze out of them? Considering I've paid my bill on time, in full, for 2 years, I figure that makes me a more valuable customer than someone calling for the first time.

Unless I get an amazing deal, I'm probably going to cancel. I don't watch that much television... Mainly football, but I've been going to sports bars and friends houses to do that more recently... And I didn't realize until yesteerday that I get like 10 HD channels for free OTA.

So, what should I do?

What's the best out there for someone in my boat?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,799 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

Just cancel...you don't seem to want it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

And 99.9% of the time you cant combine deals the way you're imagining.
For example, the AmEx deal has to go through the AmEx line, it cant just be tossed in by CRG.
Just like the AAA deal had to go through the AAA line, and Refer-a-Friend has to go through Refer-a-Friend...

But like you said, you don't watch that much TV. If you're only intention of staying with DirecTV is to 'squeeze out' some great deal then good riddance.
And be careful how you talk to retentions, too. If you look around, you'll find stories of frustration of people who called in to threaten there service, then CRG told them to have a good day and disconnected them.
Next thing you know they're here asking how they can get their service back.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,485 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:40 AM

So, what should I do?

Seems like you answered your own question. You don't think DirecTV is worth it.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:28 AM

Hi!

Here's my situation... I got home yesterday and my DirecTV system would not work. I called customer service to see what the deal is... After the typical stupid questions, (Did you reset the receiver? Did you unplug the B-Band converter? Did you rub your belly while patting your head?) the tech decided that he needed to send out a technician... for the low, low price of $45.

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of DirecTV. Its quite expensive at about $71 + tax ... I feel like it is really only worth $50 or so...

So here's my thinking... what the best deal that I could possibly squeeze out of the retention department when I call to cancel tomorrow? I figure that since I'm contract free and could just cancel DirecTV and and sign back up, I should AT LEAST get what they are offering new customers.

I am both a Costco member and have an American Express Blue Cash card. From what I can tell, that means I should be able to get the $45 service fee waived, $200 (I have a blue card from American Express), a free HD DVR upgrade, and $35 + $10 + $6 a month HD DVR service for a year. Is there anything else you think I could squeeze out of them? Considering I've paid my bill on time, in full, for 2 years, I figure that makes me a more valuable customer than someone calling for the first time.

Unless I get an amazing deal, I'm probably going to cancel. I don't watch that much television... Mainly football, but I've been going to sports bars and friends houses to do that more recently... And I didn't realize until yesteerday that I get like 10 HD channels for free OTA.

So, what should I do?

Go with OTA, it is no service fees, so long as you have the setup to run OTA throughout your home. I'm considering this myself. The problem I have is I have a 2 year old and a 6 year old who watch a lot of children's channels. My other options are Charter and DiSH. DiSH is more expensive for the same or similar service to what I get now and Charter is a non-starter due to issues when I built my home. OTA is looking quite good, I just need to convince mama that it is right thing to do for everyone.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#6 OFFLINE   timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

First of all, if you want to keep the service, simply call tech support and explain the situation and ask politely for them to waive the charge. You might be surprised. If you get to retention, point out what the competition in your area is offering. I never threaten to cancel. I simply do my homework first that way if it turns out that cancellation is the best choice, I'm ready with options.
Phil B.

I guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue! :D

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:04 AM

What ever you decide upon, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#8 OFFLINE   TDTivo

TDTivo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

I am A TV News Technical Director / Engineer for the Hub out of Toledo, OH. I have had Direct for more than 10 yrs. I received a notice in the mail that because of my patronage I would receive 3 or 4 mos of the games channel. My daughter wanted to play them but, she was on an old Tivo. I called "D" and they decided to replace her Tivo and 2 other mpeg 2 receivers with mpeg 4 HD receivers... Free of charge no contract extension. I am now having problems with my main 20-700, I am not willing to lose my OTA to go to the new 22-100 without an AM-21 OTA receiver. I am out of contract but, I will stay with "D" if I continue to receive OTA on my DVR. For the $$ you really can't beat the deals "D" has... specifically the Premier Pkg.
Why isn't stupidity painful?
HR20-700 & 10-250: Vizio 47" HD 1080P LCD, HR20-700: Vizio 32" LCD, DVR40: 22" Toshiba CRT, R15: 22" Toshiba CRT, R15: 26" Sony CRT. 12 tuners used. 5 Lnb slimline Dish, 8 bay bowtie OTA mounted on tower, 2nd dish for SD locals on 72.5., Zinwell WB616....(HR20-700 connected to DSL via cat5).

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

I am A TV News Technical Director / Engineer for the Hub out of Toledo, OH. I have had Direct for more than 10 yrs. I received a notice in the mail that because of my patronage I would receive 3 or 4 mos of the games channel. My daughter wanted to play them but, she was on an old Tivo. I called "D" and they decided to replace her Tivo and 2 other mpeg 2 receivers with mpeg 4 HD receivers... Free of charge no contract extension. I am now having problems with my main 20-700, I am not willing to lose my OTA to go to the new 22-100 without an AM-21 OTA receiver. I am out of contract but, I will stay with "D" if I continue to receive OTA on my DVR. For the $$ you really can't beat the deals "D" has... specifically the Premier Pkg.

Well the 20-700 having technical problems would not be replaced with this swap as it is already MPEG 4. If they do have to replace the unit they should ask you if you are using OTA. If you say yes they should either ship another HR 20 or provide an AM 21.

#10 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

Check out your local cable company, you will soon find that what you are paying is cheap. Honestly, no one is cheaper than Directv for my packages/options...not even Dish.

One route to go though is to just get basic cable and/or use OTA HD if you really only use locals most of the time and dont want to stick with DirecTV. You also could pickup something like a Media Center PC or standalone Tivo for DVR functions.

Either way, best of luck with the decision and welcome to DBSTalk!
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#11 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

If you try and cancel you may find out this part wasn't exactly true. :(
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

Hi!

I don't think new customer promotions are available to short term cancellations, such as yours would be. You would probably have to be out of service for at least a year in order to qualify (and maybe not even then).

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

Only DIRECTV can tell you exactly what they will offer you.

#14 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

If you try and cancel you may find out this part wasn't exactly true. :(

It is for 72.5 markets that have moved from mpeg2/4 to mpeg4 only. The biggest key is like for like swaps. Dvr for Dvr, non-dvr for non-dvr. Replacing a non-dvr with a DVR will be considered an upgrade and trigger the commitment.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#15 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

From what I can tell, that means I should be able to get the $45 service fee waived, $200 (I have a blue card from American Express), a free HD DVR upgrade, and $35 + $10 + $6 a month HD DVR service for a year. Is there anything else you think I could squeeze out of them?

How about 3-6 months free premium services: HBO/Cinemax, Starz, Showtime? And if they won't come through, just cancel. You're in the catbird seat. Enjoy it. And, if they don't realize it, as you say, you can bide your time and wait for a good offer to new subscribers.
Greg

#16 OFFLINE   donwmack

donwmack

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 25 posts
  • LocationRIght here

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

The stuff about cutting you off is overblown. Yeah they may cut you off but they want you back!! A close friend canceled due to loss of Versus (BIG hockey fan). He switched to cast. D* has now called him 3 times so far and sent him a letter this week offering him the moon to come back. All this within 3 weeks. If you want to risk being without TV for a week or two you can save a lot. I called D* with his letter in my hand (i am past contact) and they said oh well. It was tempting to cancel, but then I would have to talk to the wife and kids for a couple weeks till it was restored

spam firewall