Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Scammed

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

Talke to "D" today and they say the box is dead. No one can reactivate it but the person that originally leased the box. Since he did not return it they tacked another $470 to his account. The rep said they are getting away from people passing receivers on to others. The new policy is that only the person that activated the account with the reciver will be the only person to be able to reactivate it. So "DON"T BUY ANY USED RECEIVERS" THEY WILL NOT ACTIVATE IT OR GIVE YOU A NEW CARD. PASS INFO TO OTHERS. I guess I'll eat these $50.

Edited by gomezma1, 11 December 2009 - 10:13 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

Bummer. At least you can pull the hard drive out of it and use it in a computer with a little work.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#43 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:36 AM

"DON"T BUY ANY USED RECEIVERS" THEY WILL NOT ACTIVATE IT OR GIVE YOU A NEW CARD. PASS INFO TO OTHERS. I guess I'll eat these $50.

I wouldn't go that far.. If people were to take your advice no one would buy my old tivos which are owned and totally sellable...

#44 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:31 AM

Talke to "D" today and they say the box is dead. No one can reactivate it but the person that originally leased the box. Since he did not return it they tacked another $470 to his account. The rep said they are getting away from people passing receivers on to others. The new policy is that only the person that activated the account with the reciver will be the only person to be able to reactivate it. So "DON"T BUY ANY USED RECEIVERS" THEY WILL NOT ACTIVATE IT OR GIVE YOU A NEW CARD. PASS INFO TO OTHERS. I guess I'll eat these $50.

This only applies to "leased" receivers and it is not a new policy, this has been the official policy all along....

#45 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:16 AM

You would think he would be willing to give you your $50 back in order to save himself $470.

At least you can sleep knowing that D* hurt him more than he hurt you.:(

#46 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

Bummer. At least you can pull the hard drive out of it and use it in a computer with a little work.

Not sure about the SATA drives but the IDE drives had different firmware that made them very very slow compared to a normal HD in a computer. It would be ok as a backup drive but not one you want to use frequently.

#47 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:07 PM

Even if an owned receiver was removed from an account that subsequently goes overdue, it can not be activated on a new account. It would have to be activated on the new account before the original account goes overdue.

At least with an owned receiver the hard drive can be pulled. I would not pull the hard drive from a leased receiver. Even if DIRECTV is going after the account owner, it sill is owned by DIRECTV...

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#48 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

I asked D if they wanted for me to return the receiver back and they they did not want it. I wouldn't either If I'd tacked $470 to their bill. I guess I'll just throw it away. What a shame.I called and informed the guys wife that sold it to me about it but he must of failed math in school becuase they would not answer their phone on the day I said I would call to talk to him.

#49 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:53 AM

I asked D if they wanted for me to return the receiver back and they they did not want it. I wouldn't either If I'd tacked $470 to their bill. I guess I'll just throw it away. What a shame.I called and informed the guys wife that sold it to me about it but he must of failed math in school becuase they would not answer their phone on the day I said I would call to talk to him.

If its worth anything, once the guy pays the $470, you can have the receiver converted from leased to owned and put it on your account...

DirecTV does want the receiver back, the CSR just didn't know how to send out a manual recovery kit to you, si they did the simple thing instead.

I wouldn't send the unit back in. You paid for it, the person you got it from screwed you, why would you save them the $470?

#50 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:25 PM

He won't pay me $50 so I seriously doubt if he'll pay the $470.

#51 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

Except that D* will turn this over to a collection agency, and they will hire an attorney who will add legal fees to the debt and will file suit and garnish wages. D* will eventually get their money, but it may take years. And when they do, they may not "attach" it to that receiver, so it may never be valid for activation.

Personally, I think this is simply a strategy for D* to keep their up-front lease fees artificially high. If you think about it, what good reason do they have for not allowing you to activate this receiver? It belongs to them (D*) so they can do whatever they want with it. If they let you activate it, they get another mirror fee and possibly additional HD or MRV fees as well. The only thing they could possibly argue as a loss is the $199 up-front lease fee, but since that was already paid once on the unit by the original lessee, now the argument becomes that they are losing out on continue to get the up-front lease fee from another customer. How many customers do they have to get to pay the up-front lease fee before the unit is fully paid for?

#52 OFFLINE   HiZly

HiZly

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

just a little something from the customer service agreement. got to love directv!

e) Payment Upon Cancellation. You acknowledge that you have provided your credit or debit card account information to us. You understand that you will incur fees and charges as a result of your receipt and use of Service and/or Receiving Equipment, and may incur early cancellation fees and/or equipment non-return fees (as specified in any lease, programming or other service commitment agreement you entered into in connection with obtaining Receiving Equipment). By giving us your credit or debit card account information, you authorize us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to satisfy any and all amounts due upon cancellation. You further acknowledge that you are required to maintain current credit or debit card information with us and agree to notify us whenever there is a change in such information, such as a change in the card number or the expiration date

this is under section 5 of the agreement. so you can be sure he will pay that $470.

#53 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,834 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

just a little something from the customer service agreement. got to love directv!

e) Payment Upon Cancellation. You acknowledge that you have provided your credit or debit card account information to us. You understand that you will incur fees and charges as a result of your receipt and use of Service and/or Receiving Equipment, and may incur early cancellation fees and/or equipment non-return fees (as specified in any lease, programming or other service commitment agreement you entered into in connection with obtaining Receiving Equipment). By giving us your credit or debit card account information, you authorize us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to satisfy any and all amounts due upon cancellation. You further acknowledge that you are required to maintain current credit or debit card information with us and agree to notify us whenever there is a change in such information, such as a change in the card number or the expiration date

this is under section 5 of the agreement. so you can be sure he will pay that $470.

This means nothing if a credit or debit card has been cancelled.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

spam firewall