Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bad remotes or bad user ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bh711

bh711

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

This problem has me confused. Our main unit is a R15-300, after about a year the #'s three , six and nine, stopped working on the remote. Order a new universal Rf ( since I wanted the back light) :grin: Same thing happened to this one, same numbers. Ordered a second plain $15 remote, same thing with this one but this time we upgraded a second room to a HD-DVR took the remote from the old D11, which was working fine and has lasted about 3 years to use with the R15. Guess what after about 3 months I'm seeing the same thing happen. Could it really be because of my usage :confused: or could some sort of feedback/interference issue be the cause ? The IR receiver in our Toshiba TV did die right before we switched to satellite service. Could this have any effect on the remotes ? I can't believe I burn out as many remotes as it seems.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

You didn't say, but did you do a restart or reboot of the DVR?

Also, outside IR interference can cause some of these type of problems.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   MJs

MJs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

I'm having the same issuses with the 2 and 3 buttons. Hmmm
Dish: Slimeline 4 wires to the Zinwell multiswitch.
HR21-200 --> Also AM21 connected.
HR23-700--> Also AM21 connected.
HR20-700 --> HR20--700--> Sony 50" SXRD via HDMI and same Sling Box ethernet setup as above.
Sony laptop with Sling Box PRO running the HR21-200 .
Need to get the SWM8 for sure. Do you hear me D?

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

Does the power light on the DVR blink when you press these keys that aren't working? (Check it by pressing one of the keys that IS working)

When the power light blinks, the unit acknowledges receipt of a valid command. If it doesn't blink, it isn't recognizing the command.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   bh711

bh711

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:25 AM

I tried resesting the DVR and the remote odes seem to work a little better. When you press the buttons the light on the DVR does not blink, however if you hold them down for a couple of seconds it responds and after that number keys work better for a while. I also went back and checked an old remote after the reset that one still does not work.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:44 AM

What they're saying is that if the green light on the remote control itself blinks when you press the buttons, then the remote is probably working. If the light does not blink, it usually means that the buttons aren't completing the circuit, which is either due to contamination (i.e., soda spilt into the remote) or the coating on the pads on the underside of the buttons wearing off.

#7 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

Have you Replaced your batteries in the Remote lately???

I had problems entering Numbers when changing channels and my DVR told me I had weak batteries so I changed them and now I can use the Remote from the Kitchen which I could never do before.

Also, IR Interference from your Display Device can cause problems using your remote. Do you have direct line of sight?

#8 OFFLINE   bh711

bh711

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

Lights on the remotes do blink and I replaced the batteries when each one started to go out. There is also a direct line of sight, only about 7 feet.

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

what kind of TV are you using in that room? LCD, Plasma, etc?

#10 OFFLINE   bh711

bh711

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:35 PM

It's an older Toshiba tube. I question when the IR receiver in the TV went bas if it could be causing interference or if it is just a passive receiver for the TV remote

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

What kind of light bulbs are you using in the room? Does this happen throughout the whole day? Basically is the sun coming through a window or something and masking the IR signal on the eye.

#12 OFFLINE   jrwelshon

jrwelshon

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

I'm having the same problem with a RC34 remote. "9" key stopped working about 2 months ago and now the '0' key doesn't work. Nothing spilled on the remote, not in sunlight during the day, just stopped working. Tried replacing the batteries and that didn't do anything.
The remote does not register anything when pressing these two buttons (no lights at all).

I've had the same problems in this particular room and this is my 3rd remote. The other two experienced the same issue.

This is so weird. I think I'll put the extra money in a universal remote (Logitech, Harmon Kardon) and stay away from the DTV remote.

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,341 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

I would open it and cleanup those contacts.

#14 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

Any remote will eventually wear out; there is a black coating on the bottom side of the rubber buttons that conducts electricity and completes the circuit on the open traces on the remote's motherboard.

Posted Image

The coating will eventually wear off, and the buttons will stop working. Also, contamination is a common reason for remotes to fail; a bit of soda or other liquid can prevent the pads from completing the circuit. Taking apart the remote and cleaning with warm water, followed by a blow-dry, will fix them right up.

But as cheap as DirecTV remotes are to replace, and given their wide availability, it's much easier just to buy a new one occasionally. DirecTV remotes tend to be the "main use" remote for the TV and tend to get heavy use, so it shouldn't be a huge surprise that they eventually wear out.

eBay is full of DirecTV remotes for cheap.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,341 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

I mean it would take 10-20 min for that, instead of driving to walmart or waiting a parsel for week.

#16 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

What I decided to do a long time ago when my old 13 inch TVs remote gave out completely was get a universal remote. One of those learning ones works very good. Get it set up with everything you use day to day. You dont need to learn every single button on every single remote.

After that is done you can put the original remotes away, and then when the universal remote wears out you just replace that with a newer, more advanced one.

spam firewall