Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What will it take to keep you a DirecTV client?

vip622

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:44 PM

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks. I certainly don't have a time frame, but I do have a list of the killer apps that are going to get my business in the future. If some other provider put them in front of me right now, however, I might drop the dish from my roofline.

(1) More HD choices.
(2) Centralized receiver hardware with multiple tuners that will let me
(3) Serve high def signals to multiple locations from that central source.

(1) should be a no brainer. I don't any single channel in particular. I just don't want a single channel (BET in '09).

(2) I want to be able to record - without having to cobble together a Microsoft Server - and store to a single location. I want one reliable central setup for all my shows. I think I need at least four tuners on that central source with the ability to record on all four and playback content to multiple locations at the same time. A four in, two out is all I really would ever need.

(3) I want an easy way to serve a HD signal to a TV in my wife's office or the kitchen or the guest bedroom. I want those signals to be served by a central location. When I am tired, I would like to be able to watch my network shows in my bedroom. I would like to be able to watch my Monday night football Tuesday morning in my office.

That's the list for me. The bad thing for D* is that FIOS is probably getting closer to offering that wish list to me. The good news is they just aren't here yet.

So am curious as to the items that will make you stay if they are offered or go if they aren't.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:51 PM

What it would take to keep me at this point is just tell me that I have to have optimum. I had them when I was laid off and their HD system is a piece of Crap. Fios is not available where I am. Directv is by far the best tv and equipment available to me.

I am not a fan boy and will voice my opinion as I see fit.
"If to be right is to be different by all means be different"

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

oldfantom .. Q1/2010 should be good to you
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

My subscription in my signature is why I'll be on Directv forever...no one has the HD sports like them.
Hardware's fine now...I set, it records, & I watch...no complaints.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

But March is in Q1...along with the yearly price increases! :(

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#6 OFFLINE   morbid_fun

morbid_fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

I am loyal to DirecTV period. Unless they f up bad nothing will get me to switch as I know DirecTV will eventually have the same or similar.

#7 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

My 2 Year contract ended last week.

For me its all about the GUIDE.

Cable, DIsh, and Direct all have the same channels I watch in HD now.

So for me a NEW HD GUIDE is a must. Find the shows on the HD channel quickly with pictures and info is a must. I know all 3 are looking into this but have not seen true HD guides yet in my area.

Who even has the best guide will get my business. I am now looking at the the other guys, studying and comparing. I will decide by xmas.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#8 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:46 PM

My answer is simple. I will go where the NFL goes. I've had DirecTv since 1997 for NFL Football and I have never looked back to going to cable or any other tv provider. Simple. DirecTv has the NFL and that is who is going to be getting my business. Keep the NFL exclusive to DirecTv and all will be well.

#9 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

My answer is simple. I will go where the NFL goes. I've had DirecTv since 1997 for NFL Football and I have never looked back to going to cable or any other tv provider. Simple. DirecTv has the NFL and that is who is going to be getting my business. Keep the NFL exclusive to DirecTv and all will be well.

+1

#10 OFFLINE   soloredd

soloredd

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:05 PM

For me it's NBA LP. I'm moving to a new home and have the chance to get U-Verse and the only thing that stopped me was LP. However, I have until next Sunday (installation day) to cancel so I'm going to be doing some thinking over the next few days. I see that NBA LP is available on broadband now so that is an option along with U-Verse.

I think I'm ultimately just scared to switch. D* has been good to me so far, haven't had any outages and the only issue I did have was an HR20 that bit the dust but quickly got replaced.

D* definitely needs to keep up with the tech, though. U-Verse's whole home DVR system is a great idea and I'm not sure, as the tech matures, if D* can keep up. The future is less hardware.

#11 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:05 PM

Directv has sunday ticket exclusively thru the 2014 season so i aint goin anywhere.

#12 OFFLINE   lee78221

lee78221

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

As long as DirecTV keeps on the path their on right now I will be a sub for the foreseeable future.

I'm get great customer service and I love the amount of HD I'm getting(And at this price I'm getting it at).

#13 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks. I certainly don't have a time frame, but I do have a list of the killer apps that are going to get my business in the future. If some other provider put them in front of me right now, however, I might drop the dish from my roofline.

(1) More HD choices.
(2) Centralized receiver hardware with multiple tuners that will let me
(3) Serve high def signals to multiple locations from that central source.

(1) should be a no brainer. I don't any single channel in particular. I just don't want a single channel (BET in '09).

(2) I want to be able to record - without having to cobble together a Microsoft Server - and store to a single location. I want one reliable central setup for all my shows. I think I need at least four tuners on that central source with the ability to record on all four and playback content to multiple locations at the same time. A four in, two out is all I really would ever need.

(3) I want an easy way to serve a HD signal to a TV in my wife's office or the kitchen or the guest bedroom. I want those signals to be served by a central location. When I am tired, I would like to be able to watch my network shows in my bedroom. I would like to be able to watch my Monday night football Tuesday morning in my office.

That's the list for me. The bad thing for D* is that FIOS is probably getting closer to offering that wish list to me. The good news is they just aren't here yet.

So am curious as to the items that will make you stay if they are offered or go if they aren't.

Including "(2) I want to be able to record - without having to cobble together a Microsoft Server - and store to a single location. I want one reliable central setup for all my shows. I think I need at least four tuners on that central source with the ability to record on all four and playback content to multiple locations at the same time. A four in, two out is all I really would ever need" Doug?

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,856 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

What will it take to keep me?

Keeping the cost/benefit ratio at an acceptable level. I'm pretty much at the maximum I'm willing to pay for TV. As prices increase, I find ways to reduce my bill proportionally. When I have to reduce it to the point I'm no longer getting the channels I want, I will drop service. I don't know if that will be this spring, or in twenty years.

#15 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,464 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

Keep doing the great job with the sports, like they have been, will keep me as a happy camper. The more in HD, the happier I am.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#16 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

What will it take to keep me?

Keeping the cost/benefit ratio at an acceptable level. I'm pretty much at the maximum I'm willing to pay for TV. As prices increase, I find ways to reduce my bill proportionally. When I have to reduce it to the point I'm no longer getting the channels I want, I will drop service. I don't know if that will be this spring, or in twenty years.

Hope when they give us the 200+ HD chs they drop the HD fee but then they may charge us a SD fee:lol:

#17 OFFLINE   Fenway

Fenway

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:22 PM

What brought me to DirecTV, and will keep me here - Mega March Madness.

#18 OFFLINE   SWORDFISH

SWORDFISH

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:10 AM

I've been with DirecTV since the beginning and plan on staying.

However, I would like to see the following:

1) An economical way to upgrade boxes to HD. I have three active SD DVRs that I would upgrade if it didn't cost me $100-$200 per box.

2) Change the coding, so external hard drives are not married to one receiver. I would hate to lose saved recordings on a perfectly good drive because the receiver went bad.

3) Resolve the dispute with Versus. I'm tired of watching Blackhawks games on my computer monitor in SD.

SF
HR24-200 - WD10EVDS in Antec MX-1 Enclosure
HR24-500
HR24-500
H24-100
H24-100
Directv Since 1994

#19 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:50 AM

For me it is all about cost. I would also like more choice of which channels are a part of my package.

Directv is the only choice for me. Sports. Sports. Sports. The only other option is Dish, but Directv's sports offerings are far superior. Time Warner is available but they offer less than 20 HD channels for more money than I pay Directv. (I ain't kidding about the number of HD channels. Terrible and laughable)

No FIOS here. Verizon has a phone presence here BUT it probably does not make economic sense to offer their service to a rural county of only 36,000 people.

So it's Directv. As long as service remains affordable I am a Directv customer.

#20 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:40 AM

Cost and MRV!!!!

spam firewall