Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why is this game blacked out?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

I am having a hard time understanding why this game is blacked out for me. I live in Orlando, FL but the Bills-Jags game is blacked out on the NFL ST channel. The game is NOT on the local channel, it is the Colts-Ravens game. I know the game is blacked out locally in Jacksonville but I am pretty sure I am way outside the blackout radius (+150 miles).

Any ideas?

J

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Dcm210

Dcm210

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

because the Jags didn't sell out at home. you could've watched it on Supercast. Theres no blackouts on Supercast.
DTV customer since 2002
recievers-HD-DVR,three SD receivers
sports packages-NFL ST,MLB EI,ESPN Gameplan,and NHL CI,
premuims-HBO,Cinemax,sports pack and Showtime
TV-Sharp Aquas 37 inch 1080p

#3 OFFLINE   krock918316

krock918316

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

Maybe the local station went to another game, since the Jags game was blacked out?

#4 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

because the Jags didn't sell out at home. you could've watched it on Supercast. Theres no blackouts on Supercast.

But I am 150+ miles away from Jacksonville...I thought the local blackout radius was only 75 miles?

#5 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

Maybe the local station went to another game, since the Jags game was blacked out?

I think CBS changed the game from the Jags-Bills to the Colts-Ravens.

#6 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

Maybe it's because the Jags will be moving to Orlando?

#7 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

What I'm also not understanding of why this game was blacked out is I do not get Jacksonville locals....I get Orlando locals.

J

#8 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

I think someone at D* forgot to make a switch...

From the D* website: "In special situations, a local station may decide at the last minute to show a different game, in which case we will change the NFL SUNDAY TICKET blackouts when permitted by the NFL. If a local station switches coverage due to a one sided or extra-long game, we will lift the blackouts (when permitted by the NFL) so that you will get the game in the 700's."

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

What I'm also not understanding of why this game was blacked out is I do not get Jacksonville locals....I get Orlando locals.

J

Sunday Tickets blackouts are applied by viewing area and not viewing radius. Orlando is a Jaguars viewing area.

#10 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

What is Supercast? Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

Just saw the answer.

#12 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

that becuase Orlando is a secondary market to the Jags and are subject to all Jags home blackout. no if or what about it.

#13 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

that becuase Orlando is a secondary market to the Jags and are subject to all Jags home blackout. no if or what about it.

Didn't think NFL blackouts were applied to the secondary markets...just the primary one. Interesting...

J

#14 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

In Syracuse, we get blackouts of Bills and we are a third market:mad:

#15 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

But I am 150+ miles away from Jacksonville...I thought the local blackout radius was only 75 miles?

Secondary market or not, Signals from Orlando TV stations do reach into areas that are located within the 75 mile blackout area of the stadium, which is why Orlando is subject to blackouts.

#16 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

Didn't think NFL blackouts were applied to the secondary markets...just the primary one. Interesting...

J

Nope it primary and Secondary. if a home game is not sold out in 72 hours, it is blackout in the primary and secondary market for that team.

#17 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

Crappy rules. I live over 150 miles from San Diego, but am subject to their blackouts. Last year, San Diego decided to claim LA as their local market as well. Now we get blacked out when they do. We don't have a team and kicked their asses out, so why do we get blacked out on a team that is 150 to 300 miles away from us? NFL rules are outdated and need to go!

#18 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:30 PM

Crappy rules. I live over 150 miles from San Diego, but am subject to their blackouts. Last year, San Diego decided to claim LA as their local market as well. Now we get blacked out when they do. We don't have a team and kicked their asses out, so why do we get blacked out on a team that is 150 to 300 miles away from us? NFL rules are outdated and need to go!

I could see the reasoning if the blackout was for a 75 mile radius to ensure that fans are going to the games. But 150+ miles for me....or the 300 miles away for you? That I think is a little absurd. But, I think I read somewhere that in the 1970s NFL teams weren't broadcast locally AT ALL....even if the game was sold-out.

J

#19 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

At the DirecTV Forum web site, http://forums.direct...oardID=10577031 there is a section to report problems/issue with NFL Sunday Ticket games, you might want to remember that link for future reference to see what they say if it happend again.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#20 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:11 AM

I could see the reasoning if the blackout was for a 75 mile radius to ensure that fans are going to the games. But 150+ miles for me....or the 300 miles away for you? That I think is a little absurd. But, I think I read somewhere that in the 1970s NFL teams weren't broadcast locally AT ALL....even if the game was sold-out. J

That's right...if I recall, it was '73 when Congress finally got that "sold out 72 hrs before kickoff" blackout lift law enacted. We owe it all to those Redskins fans in DC since in those days, there was a waiting list for home game tickets and they always sold out their hm games.

I remember driving about 50 miles south of Dallas a few times and watching the few Cowboys gm's that were blacked out after the 72-hr rule was in effect. We picked up the TV sig from "Waco", a town about 100 miles south of Dallas. It was easily cheaper than going to a gm in Texas Sta.

I've always disagreed with the NFL's blackout policies regarding their reasoning of protecting the home gate. I watched the Raiders/Bengals gm yesterday on ST and noticed the empty seats, regardless of the local blackout.

The Redskins still sell out every gm, right? I'm not 100% sure about that but I'm 99% sure.

I just see the blackout rule as outdated and as a ST paying sub, there should be no blackouts in the ST pkg since we're paying for an NFL gm pkg.

I believe all of the pro sports pkg's should be that way as well....MLB EI, NHL CI. I'm not familiar with the NBA's rules.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

Protected By... spam firewall...And...