Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Roku adds Flickr, Facebook, Pandora, and more video channels

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

Aiming to expand beyond movies and baseball, set-top box maker Roku is adding 10 new content channels ranging from social networking to music and podcasts.

Roku, which makes a small, wireless device that can stream content from the Web direct to any TV screen, is expanding from 3 channels to 13, as expected. Channels for Blip.tv, Facebook Photos, Flickr, FrameChannel, Mediafly, MobileTribe, Motionbox, Pandora, Revision3, and TWiT will join the current lineup of Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand, and, more recently, MLB.TV. All of them will be available in the newly christened Roku Channel Store.

More here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TimeShifter

TimeShifter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

Be great if D* partnered with Boxee

ChannelMaster 4228
Slimline --> SWM8
MacPro ---> EyeTV --> Airport Extreme
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~v
----- Harmony 670 ---IR---> HR20-100 (networked-cat5) --HDMI--> XtremeMac HDMI Switch --HDMI--> Mits 62" 1080P DLP
----- Harmony 670 ---IR---> HR20-100 (networked-cat5) --HDMI--> Vizio 37" LCD
----- Harmony 628 ---IR---> HR21-100 (networked-cat5) --HDMI--> Zenith 42" Plasma

All Digital. All HD. All the time.

#3 OFFLINE   jhillestad

jhillestad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

You have to wait for the firmware however.....

#4 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

Right...they're rolling out the new firmware in waves like D* does.
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#5 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:03 AM

From ARS Technica, another story, possibly the same information:

First look: Roku Channel Store expands connected set-top box
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

Dave Zatz: "I can’t help but wonder what happened to YouTube on Roku? And suspect its absence has something to do with Google shutting down their formerly open API, as they’ve instructed Popcorn Hour to cease YouTube video access and streaming"

http://www.zatznotfu...acebook-flickr/

#7 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:26 PM

Purchased a Roku the second I found out that Twit and Rev3 were going to be on it. I'm really excited to see these providers on a set box. Hopefully this will usher in more providers like Hulu. The problem is that these bigger providers like YouTube and Hulu and beholden to content providers that don't understand that there's no difference between watching a Hulu stream on your laptop and plugging said laptop into a HDTV and watching it there. You're getting the same eyeballs. These set-top boxes are small computers with a HDMI output.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#8 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

When I got the $99 box for the wife to put in the bedroom so she could watch Netfix movies and entertain the great grand daughter with the large amount of kids programming from Netflix on a 32" LCD, I did not realize the power of this little box.

I tried doing the PC to TV thing. Big video cable and sound cable and fighting the duel monitor settings on an older computer, what a mess. And you can not use the computer at the same time. Never spent a better $99.

Looking forward to firmware update.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#9 OFFLINE   Max Mike

Max Mike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

No you don't. I forced it.

1. From the Roku home screen, select the “Settings” icon.
2. Select the “Player Info” icon within “Settings.”
3. Select “Check for Update.”
4. Select “Yes” on the confirmation dialog box to confirm that you want to update your player. Please note there is a possibility that the Roku player will state it has the most up to date software already installed. If you receive this notification, please immediately try updating again and it will begin the update process.
5. Once you see a dialog box indicating your player has been updated, select “OK” to restart your Roku player and finish the update.
http://www.roku.com/...er_nov_textlink

#10 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

I've already activated Pandora and Facebook. I just signed up with Motionbox to ry that service out (I'm uploading home video as I type). So far the new channels are very cool! What a bargain for $99.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

When I got the $99 box for the wife to put in the bedroom so she could watch Netfix movies and entertain the great grand daughter with the large amount of kids programming from Netflix on a 32" LCD, I did not realize the power of this little box.

I tried doing the PC to TV thing. Big video cable and sound cable and fighting the duel monitor settings on an older computer, what a mess. And you can not use the computer at the same time. Never spent a better $99.

Looking forward to firmware update.

I'm kinda sorry I didn't buy the $129 model. That USB port intrigues me. And I have an N+ router. Oh well, maybe I'll just buy another one. Pretty good SD PQ on the $99 model. Works better with an Ethernet wire than wireless tho.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

I will be putting the HD Roku on my Christmas wishlist this year...

I debated going for a new BD player with built-in Netflix streaming, but my current BD player is only a little over a year old and I think the Roku will fit in nicely. Time to dig out my HDMI switcher ... :P

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

I debated going for a new BD player with built-in Netflix streaming, but my current BD player is only a little over a year old and I think the Roku will fit in nicely. Time to dig out my HDMI switcher ... :P

Get the more expensive model. I wish I had, but I'll just buy another one and get the right model this time. The $129 model is the one that will work better when used with an N+ router. The $99 model is better with an Ethernet connection than wireless. I do have one room in the house without access to wiring without going thru a nightmare and I will put the more expensive model in that room. Don't make the same mistake that I did. You want the model with the USB port on the back. If you have any problems, PM me and I'll tell you how I solved my problems.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:47 AM

You will be glad you did, it's one of the best electronic purchases I have made. I hope Santa is nice to you this year!

#15 OFFLINE   tivoboy

tivoboy

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:48 AM

I managed to get one for the 65$ shipped on Friday during their web special. I hope they will do it again.

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

I managed to get one for the 65$ shipped on Friday during their web special. I hope they will do it again.

I tried and gave up. I had just bought one for $129 the day before (they were open on Thanksgiving) and started the return process for the $99 model. Difficult and strange company to deal with. Their call center is in India and I ran into the usual language problem (no bigotry meant, I have a hard time understanding Indian English.). Anyway, I get the return number and ask when and how I will get the mailing sticker. She tells me I have to pay the shipping. Huh. That never happened before with a return.

Then I get an email from Roku telling me that I can expect the mailing sticker in 3-4 working days.

Next thing I know, I get a tracking number for the $129 model. Didn't get a tracking number or any information for the $99 about when or if it shipped. Showed up on my door step ten days later. This time I figure I'll get the upgraded shipping and it's $15 from CA to NJ. You can send a DVR from CA to NJ for $15 by UPS unless the prices for shipping have really gone up. But, I figure it's worth it. According to the tracking number, I'm gonna get it in seven days. I can't win.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   mitchelljd

mitchelljd

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

sorry, but i just don't think that adding Flickr, Facebook or some of these others is like adding a channel.

this is more like adding an "App". i like their adding the App for Netflix and Amazon on Demand. pretty cool.

wish that Apple added a full App store for APPLE TV, it would be better to compete with this.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...