Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bay Area Fox KTVU 2 Audio-Video Problems

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:45 AM

Anyone else seeing this. While watching from recordings of satellite feed we have significant audio problems with video problems. Tonight on "House" and "lie to Me" they seemed to be struggling with it - shifted to SD then came back with HD, but audio continued to glitch. "This has been ahhpening for several weeks.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RTCDude

RTCDude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:56 AM

Yep, we get lots of problems with the 10:00 news. There is the machine gun stutter syllable effect ("and now the,e,e,e,e,e,e,e new,w,w,ws"), and the hollow echo chamber million miles away effect. Sometimes it get so bad you can't understand the dialog. I just turn off the sound and lip read. Complaining to Dish is like talking to my TV (no response). And complaining to KTVU is like talking to my TV's image in a mirror (refer back to Dish).

#3 OFFLINE   Everlast

Everlast

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

I've been noticing the "audio stutter" (well described above) for a couple of weeks now. Happens both for live and recorded (VIP 722) shows. Only happens on KTVU/FOX and none of the other locals exhibit this problem.

I'm going to guess it's a problem with KTVU's feed to Dish (either on the sending or receiving end.) The stutter happens on both national FOX programs as well as local (like the 10:00 news.)

Awfully annoying.

#4 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

I've noticed the problem on KTVU (2) and KPIX (5) both San Francisco locals, not sure about the others.......
356B
vip622

#5 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:05 PM

I posted on the general Dish discussion - same audio problems - been happening for weeks on all local channels but Fox is the worst. This is a Dish sat problem because OTA is fine. I am talking about the grinding noises every few minutes followed by loss of dialogue. I am not talking about the video problems at the beginning of House last night - I think that was a local station issue.

#6 OFFLINE   hylander3366

hylander3366

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:24 AM

:rolleyes:I am experiencing the same problem. I have experienced audio glitch on all of the local channels (San Francisco/Bay Area). I just recently switched from SD to HD. the problem did not arise until I switched and the glitch was immediate upon the switch.

I contacted the tech support and they sent a home tech out. after replacing all of the cables and lnb switches I am having the same problem on both recievers. the glitch appears on both recievers at the same time. this makes me thing it is broacasting problem specifically with audio compression.

My question to the other posters is how long have you had the HD without the problem and has anyone been able to shed light onto what the problem exactly is?

Any information on what the cause is or the solution if any would be appriciated.

just for info tech says signal is good (between 50 and 65 depending). I am using HMDI cables and have swapped them and the problem continues. The tech installed component cables thinking it was a HDMI problem and interestingly enough the problem got worse and new ones arrived so we are back to HDMI. LNB have been swapped and so have the cables. And finally the problem arrived after switching from SD that had no problems.

Is anyone in other areas outside of SF/Bay area experiencing this problem. I need infor to tell Dish because apparently they are stumped.

Any input greatly appricated! Very frustrating.

#7 OFFLINE   RTCDude

RTCDude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:19 AM

:rolleyes:I am experiencing the same problem. I have experienced audio glitch on all of the local channels (San Francisco/Bay Area). I just recently switched from SD to HD. the problem did not arise until I switched and the glitch was immediate upon the switch.

I contacted the tech support and they sent a home tech out. after replacing all of the cables and lnb switches I am having the same problem on both recievers. the glitch appears on both recievers at the same time. this makes me thing it is broacasting problem specifically with audio compression.

My question to the other posters is how long have you had the HD without the problem and has anyone been able to shed light onto what the problem exactly is?

Any information on what the cause is or the solution if any would be appriciated.

just for info tech says signal is good (between 50 and 65 depending). I am using HMDI cables and have swapped them and the problem continues. The tech installed component cables thinking it was a HDMI problem and interestingly enough the problem got worse and new ones arrived so we are back to HDMI. LNB have been swapped and so have the cables. And finally the problem arrived after switching from SD that had no problems.

Is anyone in other areas outside of SF/Bay area experiencing this problem. I need infor to tell Dish because apparently they are stumped.

Any input greatly appricated! Very frustrating.

KTVU has frequently been a mixed bag. A month or so ago, there were a couple of weeks where the 10:00 news had a extreme lip sync problem (sound leading by more than a second). Several months ago there was a couple of week spat of constant macro-blocking. I expect this current issue go away in a few weeks like the others. Complaining to Dish/KTVU never seems to make a problem go away any faster. You just have to wait it out.

By the way, it always makes me cringe when Dish wants to start swapping/replacing HW to solve these kinds of issues. Anyone that has worked with MPEG audio would immediately recognize the "machine gun stutter syllable effect" I descibed as a common effect when the MPEG audio stream is corrupted or there is a decoding error. Trying to swap out HW is laughable. Dish tech support should know better.

#8 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

KTVU has lost audio totally in the recent past on the HD side, SD deal was nominal. I believe the problems originate from KTVU and or all the locals. The locals routinely run a crawl during the day time about maintenance, upgrades and so on which may effect your viewing, could be connected.......KTVU does seem to be the most often affected though.
Audio has been a persistent problem in one form or another for a year or more on (2).
356B

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:38 AM

For the record, after some frustration with audio last night, I sent the following email to Dish Quality and Dish Technical Support, with cc's to Echostar Engineering and the folks at the Administrative Office:

Subject: New San Francisco Bay Area HD Locals Audio (and sometimes) Video Problems

Hello again -

In case no one remembers me, we had series of emails and phone calls between August - December 2008 while you resolved the audio dropout problem with local HD channels here (and elsewhere). At your request I even sent you my 722 with recordings on it so you could see what's going on.

Well, a new audio problem has developed primarily with the Bay Area HD locals KTVU (Fox) and KPIX (CBS). These are, of course, the two highest rated broadcast networks because most people are watching them. Naturally, you have a serious problem with them.

We have a thread on the matter running on DBSTalk Bay Area Fox KTVU 2 Audio-Video Problems and I'm writing again because it's getting worse. It's time to fix it!

Sincerely

Me

I'm sure they'll jump right on the problem.:sure:

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

For the record, after some frustration with audio last night, I sent the following email to Dish Quality and Dish Technical Support, with cc's to Echostar Engineering and the folks at the Administrative Office:
I'm sure they'll jump right on the problem.:sure:

Actually they did jump on the problem. Though I can't deal with it as I'm leaving for Thanksgiving, I received the following email:

Dear Mr. (me):

I did take a look at both channels you mentioned in your email today. I watched KPIX for an hour and a half this morning during Good Morning San Francisco and did not see or hear any issues. I monitored KTVU for an hour and a half today as well during “Family Feud” and your Local News. I did not see or hear any issues on this service either. I do have some questions for you. I hope you don’t mind. As far as the FOX station goes is this only happening during Prime Time or are you experiencing these issues at all times of the day? Do you have your receiver hooked up to surround sound? If so, can you hook up your receiver directly to your TV to see if this is still happening?

I also want to replicate you configuration as closely as I can to help in the troubleshooting process. I am aware of problems with the National FOX feed. As far as KPIX HD I am going to leave this on our monitoring list in hopes of duplicating the issue here, that way I can get a ticket opened and troubleshooting started. We do already have a ticket opened for KUTV HD for Audio/Video problems. Please be patient and I will get you answers as soon as possible.

EchoStar Broadcasting Corporation

Quality Assurance Department

I don't watch any daytime TV. So all I can respond is in terms of primetime, recorded programs.

If anyone has something to pass on that might help them, post it here.

My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

I'm watching the Green Bay, Detroit game, as I write this I just heard the chatter or stutter audio problem. It's on Fox, KTVU SF locally.

Edited by 356B, 26 November 2009 - 01:46 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

I guess we've been lucky (I also get Bay Area stations). In the last month I've only experienced prblems with one recording of So you think you can Dance - had a lot of audio and video problems when the dancing started.... if the people stood still no problems. Otherwise, no problems.

#13 OFFLINE   PeteSJCA

PeteSJCA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

created a new thread... this is what i said too..

Howdy,

I'm having daily, and numerous audio and video losses since the install of my 1000.2 dish about a year ago. Techs have come out twice in the last year, and last week E sent me a replacement 722 receiver. My local HD channels are the main problem. the 119 sat will not lock unless i change the transponder/spot beam from 7 (preset?) to something else 5, or 17 work well, when i come back it's switched back to 7. I've called E again this week and was told my local HD channels weren't on the 119, but when i check the program info, it says they are on the 119 satellite....

E wants to send out another tech, is it worth it?

Uverse just became available in my neighborhood in NE san jose, ca. Should i switch?

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:53 AM

Yes, our HD locals are on 119 7. There is clearly something wrong with your equipment, and not the 722. There's another member here that has switched to Uverse twice and come back. So I'd again try letting a tech fix it.

That way you can complain about audio problems along with us.:sure:

My AV Setup

#15 OFFLINE   grooves12

grooves12

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:41 PM

when experiencing these problems... which seem to be broadcas related and not equipment problems... always report them to dishquality@echostar.com. They have been extremely responsive in the past and will actually work with you to figure out the problem and get it resolved if it is something on their end.

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

Here's an update (or another response) from the Quality folks:

Dear (Me),

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

I have been receiving some customer complaints on the San Francisco HD Locals. As of last Wednesday I had added the Big 4 to my Monitoring List in hopes of catching the audio problems you are talking about. This is the second day of monitoring and I have come up with nothing on KGO, KPIX, & KNTV. I have watched each one for over an hour each day. I am going to continue to monitor these in hopes of duplicating the issues. I am also going to ask that our Uplink Center in Spokane monitor during prime time in hopes of our engineering staff at that site catching the problem there. As far as KUTV we have identified the problems we are experiencing with the FOX Networks. The National FOX feed appears to be the cause and this is why you are only seeing this problem on prime time programming. This has been escalated up through the executive staff at FOX. We are hoping to get this resolved soon. Thank you for your patience and I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

EchoStar Broadcasting Corporation
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

My AV Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Everlast

Everlast

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

It was more than I could have hoped for. At least Dish and Fox are now aware of the problem. When they get around to addressing it -- remains to be seen.

#18 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:40 PM

I also emailed Dish and got the exact same reply email today as Phrelin got today.

#19 OFFLINE   snowman

snowman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:01 PM

I see the response from dish network, but it was really a fox national issue then why does it happen on KTVU news?

#20 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:37 PM

I sent the following followup email to Dish Quality this morning:

Just an informational update.

Last night (Monday) we watched the Fox primetime lineup recorded from the satellite on our 722- "House" and "Lie to Me". The audio problem occurred frequently through both shows. I replayed the recordings this morning through the RCA audio out plugs and the problem could be heard. (One video freeze occurred in "Lie to Me.")

We also watched recordings of Sunday evening's "Desperate Housewives' and "Brothers & Sisters" from the ABC affliate KGO. The audio problem was not present.

We don't watch local programming so I don't know how much of this is related to the national feed. There was no sudden shifts to a letterboxed SD screen in the primetime programming this week, like last week. One DBSTalk member reported that the problem does occur on KTVU news.

My AV Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...