Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 failures

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   speedboat

speedboat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

I read about a lot of 722 failures, but very little about what actually failed.

My TV screen is frequently going blue and displaying "Loss of Signal".

I changed out the HDMI cable, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better.

I added a fan to the cabinet, which seemed to help for a while, but now I'm back to having failures almost daily.

It use to take hours before the first failure, but recently it fails in the first hour.

If I hit pause and wait 30-40 seconds, the show will return and in most cases it won't fail again for an hour or so. I use to think it only happened when recording multiple HD and watching another, but lately not even that is true.:confused:

When the screen goes blue, the audio continues, but that is connected directly from the 722 to the A/V receiver via toslink.

Without a portable HDMI TV to bring to the living room, how can I be sure it's the 722 and not the VIZIO TV? I've read about problems with the 722 and HDMI cables and seen suggestions to swith the component cables. I'd rather not.

Back to the real question, when your 722 failed, what did it do?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   portagent

portagent

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

I dont think it's your cables but actually the 722.

I recently had to replace a 722 due to screen freezing. It happened just about 30 mins to an hour into turning it on.

Granted I run a laptop cooler under it with a USB connection because it is in a cabinet, but I always keep the door open. But it still would freeze.

Also be careful inserting the HDMI cable as they are more sensitive than they look and can easily bend the little tongs inside.

I would call for a 722 replacement
:eek2:

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

I changed out the HDMI cable, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better.

Have you tried component cables?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   speedboat

speedboat

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:32 PM

Last night if failed solid, not returning after a min or two.

This wasn't all bad, as could at least do some debugging.

Swapped which HDMI port I used on the TV and the 722 worked fine on HDMI #2 and my upconverting DVD failed with "NO SIGNAL" on HDMI #1, so unfortuneately it's my 52" VIZIO that's failing.

Should have lots of warranty left, but will be a big hassle if I have to send it in.

Bummer, but glad to know where failure is.

#5 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:43 PM

Swapped which HDMI port I used on the TV and the 722 worked fine on HDMI #2 and my upconverting DVD failed with "NO SIGNAL" on HDMI #1, so unfortuneately it's my 52" VIZIO that's failing.
Should have lots of warranty left, but will be a big hassle if I have to send it in.

I'm sure that Vizio has a contract with local repair places and you won't have to send it back somewhere. Call them and they will send out a repairman. If you tell them what has failed, they should bring the needed part.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...