Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Plug a network switch into powerline adapter?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dandukem

dandukem

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

I'm using a DirecTV powerline adapter for my HR-700 in my basement. Can I plug a network switch into that powerline adapter and then plug the HR-700 and other devices into the switch so that I can have multiple networked devices at that location?

Thanks,
Dan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

Did you check to see if your powerline bridge already has multiple outs? I ask because some of them like the Belkin that I use have 3 outs built in.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

The Directv adapters only have a single ethernet port and yes, you can use a switch with it to connect additional devices.

#4 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:30 PM

The Directv adapters only have a single ethernet port and yes, you can use a switch with it to connect additional devices.

Sorry didnt catch that part.

#5 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:05 AM

Just to confirm, yes you can. Look at the powerline adapters as just being a network cable from point A to B, you can setup regular network equipment on either side just like you would with a normal network run.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#6 OFFLINE   blade

blade

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:24 PM

The HR21/22 has an input/output port on it to share 1 internet connection (if that is all you need)

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

Actually that is not completely accurate. While it is possible to use the second port for a second device, DIRECTV recommends that you not do so.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   jwebb1970

jwebb1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

Actually that is not completely accurate. While it is possible to use the second port for a second device, DIRECTV recommends that you not do so.

Why is that? I just received a HR22 2 days ago (D* swapped it our for a dead HR20) - was going to invest in a switch to allow the Powerline to connect both DVR & Bluray player.

Would this cause issues w/ the HR22, or does D* just not want us using this I/O option as a "free" ethernet switch to connect a 2nd device?
"I'm really only an Atheist on Christmas and Easter. The rest of the time---it really doesn't matter." - Dr. House

#9 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:44 PM

Just be aware too, that the devices plugged into the switch will all share the total bandwith of your powerline connection. So if your connection is 80 MB and you have 5 devices sharing it you could notice problems.

#10 OFFLINE   jwebb1970

jwebb1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:48 PM

Just be aware too that the devices plugged into the switch will all share the total bandwith of your powerline connection. So if your connection is 80 MB and you 5 devices sharing it you could notice problems.

For me, just the HR22 & Panny BD player - neither would be accessing the 'net @ the same time (BD player would be off when watching D* anyway & vice versa).

Anyone see an issue using the 2nd ethernet port on the HR22 to connect my BD player for the occasional update/BD Live function? Got the extra cable, just don't own a real switch.
"I'm really only an Atheist on Christmas and Easter. The rest of the time---it really doesn't matter." - Dr. House

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

Why is that? I just received a HR22 2 days ago (D* swapped it our for a dead HR20) - was going to invest in a switch to allow the Powerline to connect both DVR & Bluray player.

Would this cause issues w/ the HR22, or does D* just not want us using this I/O option as a "free" ethernet switch to connect a 2nd device?

They don't recommend it because they won't offer support for it. So people do use it and it works fine. For those that have problems they get told it's not supported. Much like external HD's.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...