Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

BluRay Recorders and BluRay/HD DVR Combo

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

Are the coming out with any BluRay Recoders and BluRay/HD DVR combo units coming out soon? I think that would be cool to have both of those units have DirecTV or Tru2Way built in with them.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

As for a BluRay Recorder/HD-DVR combo, I can probably with certainty state that will never happen. With all of the copy protection issues that the studios are putting out, they definitely will not allow their material to be burned onto a BR disc that easily.

As for the BluRay Player/HD-DVR combo, that also probably will not happen. With how quickly the industry changes and along with the cost of integrating the two together, it is probably not cost-effective for DirecTV to do so.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

The minute someone attempts this... well the sequence of events will go something like this:

1. Filing for a restraining order by the MPAA
2. Filing of a multibillion dollar lawsuit by the MPAA against whoever was insane enough to make it
3. It will be tied up in court so long no one will remember what Blu-Ray is/was.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#4 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,826 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:35 PM

Not gonna happen.
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#5 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

As for a BluRay Recorder/HD-DVR combo, I can probably with certainty state that will never happen. With all of the copy protection issues that the studios are putting out, they definitely will not allow their material to be burned onto a BR disc that easily.

As for the BluRay Player/HD-DVR combo, that also probably will not happen. With how quickly the industry changes and along with the cost of integrating the two together, it is probably not cost-effective for DirecTV to do so.

- Merg

I guess I can see the combo units not happening because of what you say about technology changing and maybe the BluRay player part or maybe even the DVR part becoming obsolete. I was thinking that VOD may one day replace the DVR.

#6 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

Even buning BluRay disks on the PC takes forever. I had no idea how long even one single disk would take until I tried the first time. HOURS.

In the end I gave up on the PC in the bedroom since I wanted to go to SLEEP, so I had to resume the next day on a PC that wasn't in any room where folks need access to a PC and use one that wouldn't be touched.

I think the blank disks are 2x (or perhaps 4x) max and getting through 25gb takes a while. I happily burn DVD5 and DVD9 disks daily but use 16x disks.

I haven't seen much increase in speed (of disks or drives) for a while, and until BluRay gets MUCH faster, it's not really a practical daily event.
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#7 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

I guess I can see the combo units not happening because of what you say about technology changing and maybe the BluRay player part or maybe even the DVR part becoming obsolete. I was thinking that VOD may one day replace the DVR.

You are missing the point... do you actually think Hollywood will allow anything that lets you to burn your own HD Blu-Ray copies?
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#8 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

You are missing the point... do you actually think Hollywood will allow anything that lets you to burn your own HD Blu-Ray copies?

Too late! :) Build a better mousetrap and the mice get smarter!

#9 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

I can see not having a BluRay Recorder having a Cable or Sattelite Tuner in it because of the copyright issues. However maybe they could make it so you could only play the recorded BluRay back only on the BluRay recorder that you had and no one elses?

I would also think that they would allow for a combo unit if it just had a BluRay player and not a recorder along with a DVR and being able to hook Cable and Sattelite up to it.

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:45 AM

Allowing it and being able to prevent it are 2 different things.

I agree with you Larry - they would not "allow it".

Too late! :) Build a better mousetrap and the mice get smarter!

History has proven that to be true, sad to say.

I'm reminded of an old saying "for every lock, there is a key".
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   oscarjperez

oscarjperez

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

Blue-Ray recorders with Hard Drives have been available for over a year over seas. Google and you will find them. They have not been made available in the US although they advertise they will.

spam firewall