Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Advice On Simplifying My Setup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DougWare

DougWare

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

My current setup is rather complicated because my home theater system has no HDMI inputs an only two optical and one coaxial digital inputs.

I believe I can simply and switch over completely to HDMI connections (except for the WII), if I can find a converter that will pull/convert/split HDMI audio and convert it to a digital optical or coaxial audio. Then I can use the HDMI switch to control the device selection and do not have to worry about switching audio along with a video device or my input limit (I would only be limited by the switch).

I don't want to replace my theatre system (it's a nice system) or my TV. If I can pull this off with an adapter for less than $150...I'll be happy.

I've attached a logical diagram of my current and goal layout.

Does anyone have any input if this is doable, or can recommend a HDMI to HDMI with optical or coaxial digital audio splitter/converter? Any advice or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• HTSetup.jpg
  • HTSetupGoal.jpg

1 HR20-100, 1 R22-100 & 1 D12-100
1 Slimline 5 Dish with SWM5 LNB
Networked
MediaShare
MRV

Visit my website: http://www.dougware.net

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:56 AM

I don't know if this is a zero-budget situation but if not, it seems to me that an AV Receiver with HDMI switching might be the easiest way to go. You could go HDMI with everything but the Wii and probably go component from Wii to AV receiver. Then one line out to the TV.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   DougWare

DougWare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

I don't know if this is a zero-budget situation but if not, it seems to me that an AV Receiver with HDMI switching might be the easiest way to go. You could go HDMI with everything but the Wii and probably go component from Wii to AV receiver. Then one line out to the TV.

I wouldn't say that it's a zero budget situation...but I don't want to replace my AV receiver.

I would be happy with a $150 solution....
1 HR20-100, 1 R22-100 & 1 D12-100
1 Slimline 5 Dish with SWM5 LNB
Networked
MediaShare
MRV

Visit my website: http://www.dougware.net

#4 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

My A/V receiver also has no HDMI inputs and I really don't want to upgrade it because of the sizable investment I have in it. What I did was to use my TV's inputs for all HDMI video and the A/V receiver for non-HDMI video. I just programmed my Pronto remote to set the TV (and the A/V receiver) to the appropriate input when switching devices. If you don't have enough HDMI inputs on your TV, you could use an external HDMI switch. The key to making it all work is in the remote's programming.

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:26 AM

+1.

I wouldn't change a thing. Just get a universal remote to handle all the audio input switching. Even my $10 universal remote can handle simple macros like that. A $150 remote would be even easier to use and program. As far as I can tell, all your devices have discrete codes (as long as your tv isn't a sammy), so your macros can be rock solid, even on a cheap remote. Once you set up your remote, you only have to press one button and let the remote switch every thing on and pick the right inputs. It's totally seamless.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:45 AM

Having a tv with no HDMI inputs AND an A/V receiver that lacks sufficient inputs puts you in a tough spot...I was in your same situation, although I had the TV with HDMI inputs, I upgraded my A/V receiver to one with HDMI switching and it was the best decision I could have made.

#7 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

Here is a solution for under $150 - a combination HDMI and toslink switcher. It doesn't extract the audio from HDMI. Rather, it has 4 toslink (optical) inputs and 4 HDMI inputs that switch in tandem.
http://www.htdepot.c...r_p/hdts82c.htm

Other than that, you're looking at switchers that cost as much as or more than a low priced 7:1 receiver (such as products by Octava, Inc -- www.octava.com ).

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

Protected By... spam firewall...And...