Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HTPC or PC + Iphone = great streaming video

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

If you have a HTPC or a PC that is connected to the Net with at least a 2mb DL and 512K UL connection and you have an Iphone there is a wonderful App out there that lets you stream any kind of video on your PC to your Iphone and it does it extremely well.

It's called AirVideo and it is absolutely one of the most amazing apps I have ever loaded onto my Iphone.

Posted Image

This is how good the picture can look

Posted Image

At home I have about 3GB of shows on my HTPC, ranging from regular XVids/AVI's to MPEG2, and H.264 HD movies of 11-15gb file size and this app streams all of them to my Iphone and plays them properly in HD picture quality when I am within my own Wifi range. When I am out of wifi range I can connect to the net via another wifi connection or use 3G-Unrestrictor and stream the movie to my phone. Of course cost for such high data use over 3G may not make that worthwhile but if you’re in a Hotel with Wifi or at work, etc. you can stream movies from home right to your iphone.

The Link
http://www.inmethod.com

If you have the needed hardware (Iphone/PC/wifi router) then give it a try, it's great and they do have a FREE version that you can try before buying.

A few tips.

1) Make sure when setting it up that you use the server PIN. This makes it possible for Airvideo to find your PC no matter what IP it is on.

2) At home you can stream the videos directly without much problem, at remote locations you should lower the resolution and if that does not work, use the Convert feature and let it convert the video for you to MP4. That will be streamed much faster than on the fly conversion. BTW you might think the absolute lowest video settings would suck, but in fact they are still very good.

3) The added bonuses with AirVideo Conversion is that the MP4 file is left on your PC in the same folder with the original so the file can be added to Itunes manually and uploaded directly to your Iphone or deleted if you want. So in reality AirVideo gives you a free Video converter that converts just about any video format to MP4 and it does it super fast while not tying up your iphone.

Edited by dreadlk, 30 November 2009 - 02:57 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

Which version did you get, the free or the $?

#3 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:44 PM

Cool, have not seen this one yet. Thx for the info.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#4 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

I bought it. After seeing the reviews on Itunes I knew it was a winner.
One of the best app purchase I have made.

Grentz yor welcome. Please let me know if you like it as much as me.

BTW I dont know how they do it but the volume on this app can crank up much more than a regular app, its very easy too hear a movie without headphones.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...