Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wireless Network & HR21 Connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sailermon

sailermon

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

I am planning on getting the Linksys WET610N Wireless Bridge and hooking it up my HR21-700. I read on Amazon.com reviews that a person hooked up the DTV HD-DVR to this bridge using the top ethernet port and then connected a Blu-ray player to the bottom, second ethernet port on the HD DVR for "pass through" connection to the Internet via the wireless bridge. In other words, if you have an HD-DVR with two ethernet ports you can connect two devices to the Internet using this single port wireless bridge without having to purchase a switch.

Is this true and has anyone done this successfully? :confused:

Thanks for you help.

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

Yes its true but it's not recommended because it takes some of the processing cycles of CPU inside the HD DVR.
But you absolutely *could* do that.

#3 OFFLINE   sailermon

sailermon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:30 PM

Yes its true but it's not recommended because it takes some of the processing cycles of CPU inside the HD DVR.
But you absolutely *could* do that.

So what you are saying is that it will slow down the DVR?

How would this adversely affect the performance and would this only occur when the Blu-Ray player is attempting to access the Internet?

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:30 PM

Switches are much cheaper than they were. You mighr be happier with a switch.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

I think you'd be a lot happier with a switch. The bottom line is, the second port is not designed to handle the load of another device. People do daisy chain them, it's true, and it's not clear how many issues are caused by that configuration. On the other hand, 4-port switches are dirt cheap.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

4 port switch is less than 20 bucks at BB. And not bog down as much should network traffic get heavy. For 35 bucks I use the "Green" D-Link 5 port gigabit switch. If you think you may add more in that area spend 5 more and get the 8 port.

#7 OFFLINE   sailermon

sailermon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

4 port switch is less than 20 bucks at BB. And not bog down as much should network traffic get heavy. For 35 bucks I use the "Green" D-Link 5 port gigabit switch. If you think you may add more in that area spend 5 more and get the 8 port.

Thanks!

I found the D-Link DES-1105 5 port switch for under $7 after $10 rebate. I assume this will work seamlessly with the WET610N... CORRECT?

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:39 PM

Thanks!

I found the D-Link DES-1105 5 port switch for under $7 after $10 rebate. I assume this will work seamlessly with the WET610N... CORRECT?

Correct.

spam firewall