Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GE Buys Out Vivendi: Clears way For Comcast/NBC Deal

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

Breaking News: http://www.nytimes.c...kMr8grlMwq tG9A
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,748 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:33 AM

Not surprised. It's NBComcastic!
:sleeping:  I am a day sleeper. I follow a European schedule.
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:01 AM

If Obama's boys have any cojones, that one won't happen.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:09 AM

Not surprised. It's NBComcastic!

!rolling

If you think NBC's ratings are low now...:D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:51 AM

And Philly becomes the center of the TV universe.

(PS - We still don't get CSN-Philly in Philly)

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:27 AM

Hmmmm....that reminds me.....anyone seen the movie 2012 yet? :lol:

But on a lighter note....how this all plays out will indeed be interesting. NBC Universal has a number of "components" within that organization, and Comcast would likely already have strategic plans in place as to how to deploy, divest, or change the current group before making this purchase attempt.

Then there's the regulators....who knows what that will bring.

I suspect this won't be finalized for some time to come.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:01 AM

Don't overlook the word "tentative". Vivendi is still posturing and reminds everyone that the window of opportunity closes if a deal isn't final by December 10th.

#8 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

Oh, well, I'm gonna' miss USA and SYFY. No Comcrap in my area, so when they yank those channels from DirecTV, I'll be without. Of course, there's always Hulu, but then knowing Comca$t, they'll put that behind a pay wall too.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#9 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

Oh, well, I'm gonna' miss USA and SYFY. No Comcrap in my area, so when they yank those channels from DirecTV, I'll be without. Of course, there's always Hulu, but then knowing Comca$t, they'll put that behind a pay wall too.

It's called fancast :nono2:

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

I will simply say, as I have before, that the day they start charging for hulu will be the day I uninstall hulu desktop from my computer. Period.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:18 AM

(PS - We still don't get CSN-Philly in Philly)

Well, Philadelphia was the center of the teenager's TV universe in the late 1950s and early 1960s; "American Bandstand".:)

As lows as NBC has fallen, this may be an improvement. Also, maybe the variety will increase on the NBC/Universal owned cable channels. The 8 hour daily marathon programming is old and tired. Chiller, which showed promise, succumbed to the marathon scheduling earlier this year. And maybe Comcast might change the name of "SyFy" back to "SciFi" and drop Tuesday wrestling.. And maybe USA will add more programming to compete with TNT.

While this will be an end of an era going back to the early 1920s for NBC. With the creation of the NBC Blue and NBC Red Radio Networks. This merger/purchase (if it is allowed to happen) would be logical. Time Warner owns a number of cable systems and cable channels, so there is a precedent. Finally, General Electric has been starving the entertainment unit for years, so Comcast may be a better fit.

#12 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

I think I read somewhere that the Comcast division that will control NBC/Universal is going to be separate from that side of Comcast that is a TV provider.

J

EDIT: The quote from the link in the first post of this thread: "At least in theory, Comcast-NBC Universal will be a company separate from Comcast’s cable assets."

Edited by Justin23, 01 December 2009 - 10:42 AM.
added quote

#13 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:54 AM

If Obama's boys have any cojones, that one won't happen.

There is no merit in that assertion. There is nothing about this deal that would be worthy of any significant amount of administration concern. It's simply trading one big company (GE) for another (Comcast).

Oh, well, I'm gonna' miss USA and SYFY. No Comcrap in my area, so when they yank those channels from DirecTV, I'll be without.

There is no reason, whatsoever, to think that DirecTV will lose the ability to provide USA or Syfy. As a matter of fact, if Comcast does do something unfair in that regard, that is when the administration may see fit to step in.

On the other hand, DirecTV may decide, itself, that it no longer want to provide you USA or Syfy, even though it has the fair ability to provide them for you. If that occurs (i.e., if the administration sees no unfairness, with regard to Comcast's offering), then blame DirecTV.

I will simply say, as I have before, that the day they start charging for hulu will be the day I uninstall hulu desktop from my computer. Period.

That day is coming. There is no business case for offering Hulu for free forever.

As lows as NBC has fallen, this may be an improvement. Also, maybe the variety will increase on the NBC/Universal owned cable channels.

Good points.

While this will be an end of an era going back to the early 1920s for NBC.

Not at all. Remember, GE has only owned NBC since 1986. Comcast's acquisition of NBC from GE is no different than GE's acquisition of RCA from GE.

This merger/purchase (if it is allowed to happen) would be logical. Time Warner owns a number of cable systems and cable channels, so there is a precedent. Finally, General Electric has been starving the entertainment unit for years, so Comcast may be a better fit.

Good points.

I think I read somewhere that the Comcast division that will control NBC/Universal is going to be separate from that side of Comcast that is a TV provider.

That's for certain. I've also read that Comcast may sell the OTA broadcast network and O&O stations, just keeping UMS and the cable networks, so the core of what has been NBC since 1926 would not only be kept intact, but wouldn't even be part of Comcast. As such, many of the expressed fears would be totally unfounded.

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

Where does GE sell programming to consumers? It's not the same as one big company selling it to another when that other big company is the largest pay tv provider in the US. I don't care if they hide it behind a shell division. Regulators will have to get involved. Just like when Newscorp bought controling rights to DirecTV. They had to have stipulations on the programming networks they had at that time.

#15 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:58 AM

Stuart,
The only hope I’m holding out for is NetFlix getting HULU on the ROKU :)
ASAP

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#16 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

wait till DTV yanks USA and SYFY when they come due and claim it in our best interests like the message says on VS. lets see how far that cliche will fly..

#17 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

Even though this is a joint venture and not a direct buyout, does the FCC still have to approve this?
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#18 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 913 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:29 PM

Everyone is missing the most important question....what happens to 30 Rock? Will Jack stop selling mircowaves now?

#19 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

wait till DTV yanks USA and SYFY when they come due and claim it in our best interests like the message says on VS. lets see how far that cliche will fly..

More people watch the SyFy channel and USA Network by accident, then watch Vs. on purpose.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#20 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

bicker1, I stand corrected on the GE/RCA reference.

The following link provides a brief history of NBC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC

It covers early radio, the formation of the Red and Blue Radio Networks, "The Chimes" (G-E-C), the World War II "Four Chime" sequence (G-E-C-G), experimental television, the start of the NBC TV network, the end of the NBC radio network, and the acquisition by GE.

It is good reading now that an era is passing. Also, take a trip down New York Memory Lane here: http://www.imonthe.net/66wnbc/ (the end of WNBC 660 AM).

spam firewall