Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GE Buys Out Vivendi: Clears way For Comcast/NBC Deal

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tvjay

tvjay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

More people watch the SyFy channel and USA Network by accident, then watch Vs. on purpose.

HAHA NICE!!!

In all seriousness and somewhat off topic, I hope more channels disappear as I am all about less channels. I have a hard time finding something worth watching and it doesn't matter if I have five channels of 500 channels. My hope (more like a dream) is less channels will equal better programming. Ahh, I can always dream can't I?
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
DirecTV Receiver: HR22-100 (manufactured 9/8/09)
DirecTV Dish: AU9-S Slimline

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jhillestad

jhillestad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

Maybe DTV will buy CBS or ABC and then make unreal demands on Comcast like they will do to DTV in the next year or two... the Versus fiasco is only the beginning now.... How can the fcc allow a cable company to own a national network ?!?!?!?

#23 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

It's simply trading one big company (GE) for another (Comcast).

Consider this viewpoint: With GE, it could be a matter of diversification. With Comcast it could be a matter of monopolization. There are more than a few who have already expressed concern about Comcast's unwillingness to share.

#24 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:51 PM

There is no reason, whatsoever, to think that DirecTV will lose the ability to provide USA or Syfy. As a matter of fact, if Comcast does do something unfair in that regard, that is when the administration may see fit to step in.

Sooooo, you've never heard of Versus?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#25 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

I will simply say, as I have before, that the day they start charging for hulu will be the day I uninstall hulu desktop from my computer. Period.

I should say that I don't mind if they want to add new things at a price, but keep the stuff they do now for free. Like keeping the most recent episodes of a show available for free, but charging for older episodes.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#26 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

Everyone is missing the most important question....what happens to 30 Rock? Will Jack stop selling mircowaves now?

It will be interesting how soon the writers work all this story line in, GE has been the butt of many of their jokes.

#27 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:26 PM

I will simply say, as I have before, that the day they start charging for hulu will be the day I uninstall hulu desktop from my computer. Period.

I can't, no matter what, get hulu desktop to log into my account.....

OK Back on Topic
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#28 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

Consider this viewpoint: With GE, it could be a matter of diversification. With Comcast it could be a matter of monopolization.

It seems that whenever people don't like something, they try to make it sound more than just a dislike, such as by trying to drop emotionally-laden words, like "monopoly". :rolleyes:

There are more than a few who have already expressed concern about Comcast's unwillingness to share.

Then regulators will make them share what fairness dictates must be shared.

There is a difference between what is fair and what someone may like.

#29 OFFLINE   ahintz

ahintz

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

A good template for how this will play out is probably News Corp and DirecTV a few years ago. If I remember correctly, there were several stipulations agreed to by News Corp. with regard to equal access to cable channels (Fox Sports, etc.) by other providers (Comcast, et al). I wouldn't be surprised to see similar stipulations applied to Comcast in this situation.

HR44-500 with 3LNB Slimline Dish
Late 2010 27" iMac and Late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro
Complete Setup

#30 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:01 AM

It seems that whenever people don't like something, they try to make it sound more than just a dislike, such as by trying to drop emotionally-laden words, like "monopoly".

Emotional would have been something along the lines of a call for RICO action. Monopoly is not so much an emotional term as an outsider's view of Comcast's business plan.

Fairness hasn't entered into the Philadelphia sports dealings nor has it been shown in the CSN NW situation.

Then regulators will make them share what fairness dictates must be shared.

The regulators aren't stepping in and instead have been taking an increasingly hands-off approach.

There is a difference between what is fair and what someone may like.

To be certain, but when Comcast holds certain properties so close and rubs our noses in it with "Comcast exclusive" ads, it is difficult to find fairness.

#31 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

I don't see big monopoly issues, but I do see some regulatory concerns that I'm sure will be expressed. For instance, Comcast controlling that many cable channels will put negotiations with other cable systems and the two satellite companies in the limelight. I can hear Charlie screaming if the new combined company asks Dish for a nickle more.

And then there is the question of fees for NBC affiliates if the new company keeps the broadcast network. Not that I think that's likely.

I can't see Comcast making things worse. Keep in mind that GE will retain 49% and, if you haven't noticed, GE judges the success or failure of NBCU management on profit growth. Hence, we have the "Leno" NBC. I really don't see how the new company could make something worse for viewers out of NBCU.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#32 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:38 AM

I don't see big monopoly issues, but I do see some regulatory concerns that I'm sure will be expressed.

Expressing concern (Friends memos) is the first step among a great many steps in getting things done in regulatory circles. The resolution can be modified or die altogether at each step.

#33 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:02 AM

Emotional would have been something along the lines of a call for RICO action.

Any time an erroneous labeling is done, and the labeling tends to be thought-of as negative by most people, then it is an emotionally-laden label. (Actually, there are two other possibilities, but they make negative assumptions about the person doing the labeling.)

Fairness hasn't entered into the Philadelphia sports dealings nor has it been shown in the CSN NW situation.

Yes it has. You perhaps just don't like the results. As I said before: There is a difference between what is fair and what someone may like.

#34 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:06 AM

I don't see big monopoly issues, but I do see some regulatory concerns that I'm sure will be expressed. For instance, Comcast controlling that many cable channels will put negotiations with other cable systems and the two satellite companies in the limelight.

Indeed, though Time Warner use to own several cable networks and cable service systems, and there wasn't much additional scrutiny needed. Assuming Comcast does divest itself of the OTA broadcast assets, I suspect that this will all be a lot of smoke but no fire, after all is said an done.

I can't see Comcast making things worse. Keep in mind that GE will retain 49% and, if you haven't noticed, GE judges the success or failure of NBCU management on profit growth. Hence, we have the "Leno" NBC. I really don't see how the new company could make something worse for viewers out of NBCU.

Exactly. I'm utterly bewildered (and amused) at how curmudgeons spend half their time criticizing GE for its current management of NBC and half their time pre-criticizing Comcast for its future management of NBC. It just shows the often-vacuous nature of criticism: People just like to whine when things don't go their way. The vast majority of it is just meaningless, self-motivated noise.

#35 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:18 AM

A good template for how this will play out is probably News Corp and DirecTV a few years ago. If I remember correctly, there were several stipulations agreed to by News Corp. with regard to equal access to cable channels (Fox Sports, etc.) by other providers (Comcast, et al). I wouldn't be surprised to see similar stipulations applied to Comcast in this situation.

Exactly. At the end of the day, the various governments will enter a "consent decree" that will outline a process for resolving access disputes between DBS, non Comcast cable, and this entity.

If you consider the existance of "luxury TV", meaning a system where anyone can get most every (ideally every) channel, with most (again ideally every) in HD, to be a good thing, and I do, then this is a good thing.

Sadly, NBC and Comcast are similar companies. Both seem to practice a business plan that is based on regulatory capture and on providing the minimum service for the maximum amount.

At the end of the day, this is NBD. Ask any random person who owns USA network and they won't know or care.

#36 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

Yes it has. You perhaps just don't like the results. As I said before: There is a difference between what is fair and what someone may like.

Perhaps you can explain how Comcast having near or complete exclusives on the two RSNs that I mentioned is "fair".

Note: I'd like to hear some business arguments supporting your position as opposed to restatements of your psychoanalytical parsing of my word choice and insistence that it is fair. Surely the definition of fairness you are using would be helpful.

#37 OFFLINE   Arative

Arative

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:59 AM

I'm concerned about Comcast buying NBCU. I think that it will be bad for the consumer. Various articles about Comcast that I've read make it seem like it isn't a very consumer friendly company.

Like one VP said that Comcast would have no problem disabling the fastforward button on DVR's. Also their thought on internet content as well. Comcast's core business is video service and they have said that they want to keep people paying for their video service instead of dropping it, in favor of just getting content via the internet. When Comcast owns the content, I expect that content to be blocked from the web unless you are on Comcast's network or something to that effect. I think in the end this merger will mean more costs for everyone as Comcast tries to pull what Disney does with ESPN with carriage fees.

#38 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

Exactly. I'm utterly bewildered (and amused) at how curmudgeons spend half their time criticizing GE for its current management of NBC and half their time pre-criticizing Comcast for its future management of NBC. It just shows the often-vacuous nature of criticism: People just like to whine when things don't go their way. The vast majority of it is just meaningless, self-motivated noise.

You perhaps don't like the results in this thread, but it would be best to not use emotionally laden labels. Thanks.

#39 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

Perhaps you can explain how Comcast having near or complete exclusives on the two RSNs that I mentioned is "fair".

I could indeed, but answer this: Are you really inquiring? Or are you just looking for another excuse to express your consumer-only perspective, and try to again pass that off as fairness.

Fairness is fairness to everyone, not just the side you favor.

Note: I'd like to hear some business arguments supporting your position as opposed to restatements of your psychoanalytical parsing of my word choice and insistence that it is fair.

I'm sorry but I'm not convinced that you really would like to hear what you claim. I'll give you a chance, though. Let's see if you'll accept a perspective other than yours, or just reply back, as you seem to have been doing up to now, that all that matters is what you want/like.

There are already several content providers providing entertainment and sports programming, made available to service providers. That would not change. Disney, Viacom, CBS, Time Warner, etc., all offer a variety of channels. Comcast would simply become the purveyor of the channels that GE's NBCU has been offering. And beyond that, the marketplace will motivate additional competition as the marketplace deigns that there is a demand for more competition.

#40 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

I'm concerned about Comcast buying NBCU. I think that it will be bad for the consumer.

Perhaps, and that really highlights the failure of Harsh's logic: While you correctly stop there -- saying that you think that the deal will have negative ramifications for consumers -- Harsh goes beyond what is a reasonable assertion, and claims that because of that the deal is unfair. As if the only things that could be fair are things that benefit consumers. A lot of us actually invest in companies, and work for companies, and so have a reasonable expectation that benefits through those channels are also worthy of consideration. Regulators have very clear rules about what is and is not fair, based on real parameters with regard to ownership and control -- not based on whether something is necessarily good for one set of stakeholders in society or another.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...